nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60334
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fong off camera" Previous topic | Next topic
PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Sat 22-Dec-12 05:21 PM
1215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fong off camera"

Lake Elmo, US

As a sports shooter I rarely use strobe. Just prefer ambient even indoors. But I have done a few outdoor portrait jobs for my sports customers and generally drag out the Lastolite soft boxes (18") and stands etc. It's a bit of a hassle especially in the cold weather. I do have a Gary Fong collapsible and have generally had good results from it. My question to all is.....do you always use the fong on camera ? Does anyone attach it to a light stand off camera ? How are the results ? This would save all the setup etc of the Lastolites on stands. Shooting with a single (or 2) Fongs on a light stand may simplify things a bit.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 23-Dec-12 12:01 AM
35254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fong off camera"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I use up to four Gary Fong Universal Lightspheres, one for each of my speedlights, via a SU-800 commander unit for interiors in medium to large rooms.

Here are a couple of very recent examples using three flashes.

Sorry I cannot supply any info on using several units in exteriors.
My typical subjects are very young and don't want to place the setup in peril.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

quenton8 Silver Member Awarded for bringing his experience to the Nikonians community helping members with printing and the use of post-processing software from the perspective of an IT professional. Ribbon awarded for his enthusiastic and repeated support to the Fundraising Campaign 2014 Nikonian since 11th Apr 2010Sun 23-Dec-12 12:10 AM
1350 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fong off camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Toronto, CA

Mostly I keep my flash (with its "permanently attached" fong) on camera. That is because I am shooting Church events, Family events, Work events, and I don't have time to do setup.

However, the few times I have used it off camera, the "fong" just stayed on. For example, we just finished a Kitchen addition to our summer place, and access is via what used to be the outside door and an outside window. I placed the flash inside the room and shot through the door+window -- worked nicely, and the lighting bounced all over the place which gave a nice even lighting.

Not sure I would shoot off camera with just one flash as I have to do when doing the events noted above, so it stays on to prevent shadows -- but I love it for that too.

----
Dennis Smith.

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Sun 23-Dec-12 02:14 PM
1215 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fong off camera"
In response to Reply # 2

Lake Elmo, US

Thanks guys.

I tried it at an outdoor shoot yesterday and it's really pretty convenient. It allows me to move the lightstands pretty quickly without the clumsiness of having the Lastolites on them. Pretty nice results too.....and the customers did not know the difference.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSun 23-Dec-12 10:27 PM
35254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Fong off camera"
In response to Reply # 3

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Excellent. Please post a picture when you can and describe flash(es) positions.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60334 Previous topic | Next topic