Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60328
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?" Previous topic | Next topic
OMMBoy Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 02:57 AM
678 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"

San Diego, US

I currently own a Stroboframe Camera Flip Flash bracket which I used with my D80 and SB-800 flash. I've recently upgraded to a D800 and find that the bracket is a little too small for it as a hex nut protrudes from the mount forcing me to slightly angle the camera to avoid the nut. I liked the flexibility of the bracket in that I was able to rotate the camera instead of the flash and don't much care for those brackets that require flipping the flash back and forth.

What are your recommendations for a flash bracket that would accommodate a D800 and SB-800 and not require me to flip the flash to and fro?

Thanks, in advance, for your suggestions :)

Chris

Runfola Photography Gallery

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator
22nd Dec 2012
hsbooth
22nd Dec 2012
Luke_Miller Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
jrp Administrator
22nd Dec 2012
avm247 Moderator
23rd Dec 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member
23rd Dec 2012
Clint S Silver Member
26th Dec 2012
jrp Administrator
26th Dec 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
27th Dec 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 01:39 PM
26116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chris,

Something to think about:

The problem with the camera rotating brackets is that you are forced to hold the bracket because they make it difficult or impossible to hold the camera itself. Most of them also are designed so when rotating the camera to portrait orientation the shutter release button is under the camera and lens. This reduces stability even further.
Brackets like the Stroboframe Press-T, Pro-T, and the RRS Wedding Pro Brackets are designed so that you hold the camera and not the bracket. This provides more support and faster and easier access to the controls.

I have a Pro-T which works well with a D_00 series body with a Battery Grip. The Press-T is a little smaller and might be a better choice if you don't use a Battery Grip. The problem (like your current bracket) is they are large, don't fold and are therefore difficult to pack. I rarely use it anymore for that reason.

I switched to the RRS Wedding Pro Brackets years ago. While they are expensive and require an L-Bracket, they are extremely strong, light, fast and easy to mount on the camera and fold very compactly making them easy to pack in your bag.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 03:41 PM
26116 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Chris,

Another advantage of the RRS Wedding Pro bracket is it will lock in either landscape orientation or portrait orientation.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

hsbooth Registered since 18th May 2012Sat 22-Dec-12 04:11 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 2

Walnut Creek, US

Hi Chris,

I started out using a Stroboframe bracket and then progressed to a Custom Bracket Digital Pro for weddings. When I received my D800 I discovered my Custom Bracket didn't fit the D800 and initiated a search for a new and, hopefully, lighter bracket. The one I chose is the Demb Flash Bracket shown here: http://www.dembflashproducts.com/bracket/

It's light, fits the D800 with and without a grip, lets me hold the camera instead of the frame, holds a Pocketwizard and flips easily to let me shoot vertically or horizontally. I like it very much.

Best,

Howard

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Sat 22-Dec-12 03:48 PM
1501 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rural Virginia, US

I'm also a big fan of RRS brackets. I use their Portrait Perfect model.

I've not used one, but Custom Brackets make several models that rotate the body rather than flash.

www.custombrackets.com

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 22-Dec-12 11:11 PM
34636 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 22-Dec-12 11:16 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I own two Stroboframe brackets (one of them is the Camera Flip) and three Custom Brackets.
The most used one is the Custom Bracket CB Junior that rotates the flash.
The next two are camera rotation brackets

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberSun 23-Dec-12 01:12 AM
18519 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 5
Sun 23-Dec-12 01:13 AM by avm247

Rancho Cordova, US

Another vote for the CB Junior, but it rotates the flash. Some pics here (F100/MB15 and SB-26...still works with my D700/MBD10 and SB910 (boy it that flash HUGE!)

Heard good things about the RRS wedding bracket and the Demb Flash bracket, too.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Sun 23-Dec-12 07:32 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 23-Dec-12 07:33 PM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

Having tried several brackets I settled on the Custom Brackets Digital PRO Bracket-M and enjoyed it for a couple of years. It is the best by far of several I tried.

However, I did not enjoy the extra weight and bulk, especially when shooting with two cameras.

My current philosophy is to use a flash modifier which positions the flash vertically for the extra separation from the lens and shoot pretty much everything in landscape. With today’s sensor resolutions cropping for a vertical shot is not a problem.

For the flash modifier I have used Fong and a couple of others but finally made my own based on some studio testing resulting in a lighter, more rugged design which can be directed to a certain degree.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

http://art2printimages.com
bwesthead@art2printimages.com

Clint S Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Jan 2011Wed 26-Dec-12 06:10 AM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chula Vista, US

Custom Brackets recently released a new RF-PRO (Rapid Fire) that looks promising and only weighs 9 oz.

Visit my Nikonians gallery - my Spare Time gallery

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 26-Dec-12 07:26 AM
34636 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 8
Wed 26-Dec-12 06:09 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

A flash-rotating bracket. And it folds flat for storage!

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 27-Dec-12 10:13 PM
8148 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Flash Bracket -- Recommendations?"
In response to Reply # 0

Powder Springs, US

RRS wedding bracket hands down. I have two and have used nothing else since. I have no desire to seek a better mouse trap either, so it's expensive in the short run, but less expensive in the long run.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60328 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.