Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60294
View in linear mode

Subject: "Simple Home Studio Suggestions" Previous topic | Next topic
Pookoo Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2010Thu 20-Dec-12 09:16 PM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Simple Home Studio Suggestions"

Houston, US

Hello,

Currently I have a SB 800 and SB 910 as the light sources and I'm looking to have a very simple home studio setup to photograph portraits of my children from time to time.

What umbrellas, softboxes, stands, braces etc do you guys recommend?

Thanks!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Simple Home Studio Suggestions
Luke_Miller Silver Member
20th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
21st Dec 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
21st Dec 2012
DinoCardelli
21st Dec 2012
Pookoo Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012
PSAGuy Silver Member
22nd Dec 2012

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Thu 20-Dec-12 10:38 PM
1471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Simple Home Studio Suggestions"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 21-Dec-12 01:14 PM by Luke_Miller

Rural Virginia, US

I'm now into monolights, but started with SB-800s. I found CLS to generally work fine. I used umbrellas and added an old speedlight (SB-25) on an SU-4 for a background light. I used an SU-800 to trigger my SB-800s. I think the SU-800's IR control flashes tended to reduce "blinkies" by my subjects.

Doing photography of children pushed me into the monolights. I often found the expression I wanted was the one just after the flash fired. With speedlights I had to wait until the flashes recycled and missed the shot. With monolights there is almost no recycle time and I can capture the look I wanted.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Fri 21-Dec-12 12:02 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Simple Home Studio Suggestions"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

I have a similar setup, with an SB-600, 700, and 900. I use an Alzo 24x36' softbox for the 900, several types and sizes of umbrellas that I use with my 700. You can have a lot of choices there as they are really cheap. I have some you can shoot through and one with a black backing and white reflective inner surface. I have a homemade snoot which I use on my 600 as hair light.

I have basic light stands, mostly Interfits which I bought from Amazon. Plus assorted heads and clamps for holding the speedlights and umbrellas. Don't forget backgrounds. I have a cheap one which holds my one and only (so far) muslin background. I plan to upgrade in that area as soon as possible.

So all in all probably $1,000 invested over a year or two, which includes the speedlights. Not bad at all. The nice thing is you can pick up a piece here and a piece there. Plus make up you own stuff and save even more. Later on I will share a photo I took of my apartment studio, so you can get a feel for the space it takes up etc. I have a small apartment, but even so, I have room to work.

George

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Fri 21-Dec-12 02:27 PM
616 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Simple Home Studio Suggestions"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 21-Dec-12 02:34 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

Hey, Poo;

I looked at your gallery...Cute kids!

It sounds like you have in mind a simple set-up that won't break the bank,right? Me,too...I don't like carting tons of clanking ironmongery around with me.

I have a lightstand I got from daBay, an umbrella holder, an umbrella, and one great little SB600, which I tie to my D 50 with the marvelous SC-28 cord. For more extension, I daisy chain it with my SC-17 cord. Works great!

I made a tie-dyed backgrond, and bought some material from a quillting store, which do very well when I want something more formal. No background stand yet, but gaffer tape works very well for short times. There are some inexpen$ive ideas for DIY background supports on the 'net. One of these years, I may get around to building one.

I also have 3 Sunpak manual-capable flashes, one OOOld Vivitar manual flash, miles of sync cords and a couple of little amoeba-looking flash stands, plus a half-dozen optical slave triggers left over from the days when I thought I wanted to become a Strobiste.

Simple is better, IMO, and I think I may once again work with the Strobist stuff, (actually,I just take two Aspirin, and lay down for a while in a quiet room, and it goes away!) but till then, simple does it!.

Looking forward to getting my D 90, which can act a Commander, which will eliminate the sync cords...If I can figure out how to make it work.

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Fri 21-Dec-12 11:35 PM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Simple Home Studio Suggestions"
In response to Reply # 3

Plantation, US

Personally, I like two main lights..

Look at Lastolite's 24x24 and for your catch light...look at the "Firefly" lights...look at the 16" and the new one...I think 20" plus....

Lastolite has some very nice equipment, but, $$$$, but, they are very versitile and good quality..

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

Pookoo Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Dec 2010Sat 22-Dec-12 04:02 AM
64 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Simple Home Studio Suggestions"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston, US

Dino, Thanks for the suggestions.

Can you send me a link to the Firefly lights you mentioned?

I'm having trouble finding them.

PSAGuy Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Nov 2008Sat 22-Dec-12 04:36 PM
725 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Simple Home Studio Suggestions"
In response to Reply # 4

Lake Elmo, US

I agree completely on the Lastolites. They are a bit pricey but their durability is second to none. If you shoot remote at all, they'll stand up to the beating.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60294 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.