Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60283
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife..." Previous topic | Next topic
William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Thu 20-Dec-12 09:38 AM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
Thu 20-Dec-12 09:50 AM by William Symonds

Bogor, ID

Santa just bought a mint SB900 for just over 200 bucks. a friend picked up an identical twin. It seems that we have terrific bargains thanks to some more misguided soul trading the strobes plus D800, D600, three pro 1.4 G lenses and MBs all seemingly in unused condition, all on a mission to the dark side.

Santa also picked up the MBD14 . Sadly the 24mm f/1.4 and 35mm f/1.4 did not get financial approval from local Santa Claus management, and I have a 85mm f/1.4.

So, come next week I will be very happy as my SB800 is getting old and the terminals are crusty, and I like the SB900 buttons and interface, and now I have a two flashes and can do some more creative lighting.

the SB900 will become my goto everyday strobe. Trouble is my Fong Dome, which is a snug fit with the SB800, will not fit the SB900, and I am reluctant to buy another overpricedcpiece of plastic. I am thinking I could cut it to fit, but it may eventually wreck the dome, and it may be better to keep it for the SB800. Has anyone had any joy or otherwise in applying surgery to fix this problem?

Thanks and Happy Xmas to all those celebrating, and happy 2013 to everyone....

W i l l

Nikonian in Bogor, West Java
www.willsymonds.com
www.willsymonds.blogspot.com
http://www.nikonians-images.org/galleries/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=123586

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the k...
gbowen Gold Member
20th Dec 2012
mklass Platinum Member
20th Dec 2012
jrp Administrator
21st Dec 2012
jgould2 Gold Member
21st Dec 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
21st Dec 2012
jrp Administrator
21st Dec 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
21st Dec 2012
William Symonds
21st Dec 2012
jrp Administrator
22nd Dec 2012
William Symonds
22nd Dec 2012

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Thu 20-Dec-12 01:04 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 20-Dec-12 01:05 PM by gbowen

Canton, US

Hmm, did Santa look a bit like Darth Vader??

I liken the head of my SB-900 to that of a T-Rex dinosaur lol.
By the way, great deal on the flash. I got mine last year for considerably less than new, not as good a deal as you got. Anyway, I pretty much use mine in my Alzo softbox. I tried the lightsphere on it as well, and decided my SB-700 was a better home for that.

I haven't checked their website to see if they offer a size to fit the 900 or not. I will do that later I guess. Got me curious. But then, that's me.

Curious

George

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 20-Dec-12 01:18 PM
5811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

My Light Sphere collapsible fits fine on my SB-900, but it is very tight. To mount it I put it upside down on a hard surface, and push the SB_900 onto it from above, rocking it back and forth until it is properly seated.

That may or may not work, if you have the non-collapsible model.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 21-Dec-12 05:42 AM
34191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 21-Dec-12 05:06 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Yes, the Collapsible is a bit uneasy to mount on a SB-900, yet it remains the most easy to pack light diffuser of the Gary Fong Series.
It really fits very well, once completely on.

I hold the SB-900 in my left hand and then mount the Collapsible with my right hand from the top,
First one extreme then the other, and then make sure the sides are all in and even.

This is how the Gary Fong Collapsible Clear Lightsphere fits on the SB-900:

One has to remember that there were many complaints about the previous version falling off at the drop of a hat and this was Gary's reply to the market request.

An intermediate solution is the Universal, with a surrounding strap which for me works better than any other.

Here the Collapsible Clear and the Universal Cloud, side by side:

In any event, they both work very well in terms of bouncing the light from all surrounding walls and ceiling, producing a very pleasant light and no shadows.

Here an example from this evening:

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Fri 21-Dec-12 04:58 PM
4388 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 3

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi Ramon.

Beautiful shot. Beautiful light.

JIM

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Fri 21-Dec-12 05:55 PM
843 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 3

Potomac, US

Very nice shot, Ramon.

On a related note: I cannot find any information on which way to orient the dome - hollow (concave) side facing in (towards the flash) or out? Or does it depend, and what are the different results?

Thanks to anyone who can provide guidance.

Fred
Maryland, USA

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberFri 21-Dec-12 07:11 PM
34191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 5
Fri 21-Dec-12 07:15 PM by jrp

Thank you, Jim,
Thank you, Fred,

I have a Universal/Collapsible review due for long. I'll fix that this weekend.
In there I explain the use of the dome.
It is for close-ups, sending some additional light downwards.
When under low ceilings I just don't feel the need of the dome as shown in the sample image above.

The collapsible model allows for the dome to be 'looking' with its concave side up or down.
Up is for medium range images, down is for really close close-ups.
The difference is subtle for low ceilings, less subtle for taller ceilings.
I'll have some sample images there.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Fri 21-Dec-12 07:37 PM
843 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 6

Potomac, US

Thank you, Ramon. Really useful information! I will use the diffuser (collapsible) at a Christmas party (in a home, low ceilings), and the pics will be will be mostly medium range, so I might not use the dome at all. I'll try to experiment a bit before Christmas. I could not find the info in a Google search, and it was not apparent, to me anyway, in the instructions that came with the dome.

Fred
Maryland, USA

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Fri 21-Dec-12 08:23 PM
1556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 7

Bogor, ID

What a charming shot.

Thanks for the various advice.

Sadly my model is the earlier original version and really cannot fit the D900. I cannot show this as the SB900 now sits beneath a tree. Am thinking I may try warm water and see if that helps but otherwise it may be time for a second dome.

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberSat 22-Dec-12 07:13 AM
#9. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 8
Sat 22-Dec-12 07:14 AM by jrp

Will,
If yours is the Lightsphere II, it needs to be the Size 2 (P2) to fit the SB-900.
The size 1 (P1) is the one that fits the SB-8090 and not the SB-900.

Have a great time

William Symonds Registered since 22nd Jan 2007Sat 22-Dec-12 08:12 AM
#10. "RE: Fong Dome will not fit SB900 - is it time for the knife?"
In response to Reply # 9

Bogor, ID

JRP

yes it is a LightSphere II, and although the size is not on the unit, I can only presume it is a size 1.

Thanks

W i l l

www.willsymonds.com

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60283 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.