Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60241
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question." Search result list | Previous match | Next match
LuxLux Registered since 29th Oct 2012Sun 16-Dec-12 02:59 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."

Montville, NJ, US

I am a beginner for using flashlight, I normally do not like Flashlight results, as it is so harsh, until yesterday, I realize that using combined flashlights make portraits so much better in indoor.
Now the question become what model should I get for my Nikon D800? Is there any compelling reasons that I must get SB910 instead of SB700?

Can someone share some light with me? Thanks!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question.
gbowen Gold Member
16th Dec 2012
LuxLux
18th Dec 2012
LuxLux
18th Dec 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
16th Dec 2012
LuxLux
18th Dec 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
18th Dec 2012
blw Moderator
16th Dec 2012
ctadin Silver Member
17th Dec 2012
LuxLux
18th Dec 2012
LuxLux
18th Dec 2012
blw Moderator
18th Dec 2012
hnagy
10th May 2013

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 16-Dec-12 05:14 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

I have an SB-700 and a 900, and for just carry around use I like the 700. The 900 has more power, and has the ability to act as a commander like the 700, but can control 3 groups instead of 2. If size isn't an issue, or price for that matter, then go for the 910. You can always dial down the power.

Another thing I would invest in is a modifier for the flash. I use a Gary Fong lightsphere and a Stroboframe flash bracket. I also have a softbox, umbrellas and lightstands. But for a single flash application, go with Gary Fong or one of the other modifiers made for on flash use. It'll improve your photography tremendously.

George

LuxLux Registered since 29th Oct 2012Tue 18-Dec-12 01:21 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 1

Montville, NJ, US

Thanks, gbowen!
I have no clue what are these equipment used for, Just out of curiousity, I checked Gary Fong diffuser at Amazon, and it is with great reviews. and thanks for these hints.

>I have an SB-700 and a 900, and for just carry around use I
>like the 700. The 900 has more power, and has the ability to

LuxLux Registered since 29th Oct 2012Tue 18-Dec-12 01:36 AM
#9. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 1

Montville, NJ, US

Dear All,
Thanks for your kind helps.
I have decided to go with SB 700 for now, I guess when it is time for SB 910 or its successor, I would realize it then.
Thanks again.

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Sun 16-Dec-12 07:56 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 0

US

>I am a beginner for using flashlight, I normally do not like
>Flashlight results, as it is so harsh, until yesterday, I
>realize that using combined flashlights make portraits so much
>better in indoor.

Hi Joe,

It's not surprising you are not happy with the results. A "Flashlight" is no substitute for a good Nikon Speedlight or any on/off camera "flash".

Just kidding. Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.

I use the SB700 with my D7000 and am very satisfied with its performance. It is smaller/lighter than the SB910, but that is good because unless you really need the extra power the SB910 is too big for general use - well, that's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

LuxLux Registered since 29th Oct 2012Tue 18-Dec-12 01:29 AM
#6. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 2

Montville, NJ, US

Hi Gerry,
Look, I have already told you I am a beginner for this subject...what you did was not nice... Just Kidding. Now I realize what I typed in the original massage, no worry, if I were you, I would do the similar thing.

Actually, SB700 does lack repeat flashing mode(and no external power), not sure how useful this repeat flashing mode is.

>>I am a beginner for using flashlight, I normally do not
>like
>>Flashlight results, as it is so harsh, until yesterday, I
>>realize that using combined flashlights make portraits so
>much
>>better in indoor.
>
>
>Hi Joe,
>
>It's not surprising you are not happy with the results. A
>"Flashlight" is no substitute for a good Nikon
>Speedlight or any on/off camera "flash".
>
>Just kidding. Sorry, I couldn't stop myself.
>
>I use the SB700 with my D7000 and am very satisfied with its
>performance. It is smaller/lighter than the SB910, but that is
>good because unless you really need the extra power the SB910
>is too big for general use - well, that's my opinion and I'm
>sticking to it.
>
>Jerry
>

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Tue 18-Dec-12 01:43 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 6
Tue 18-Dec-12 05:30 PM by J_Harris

US

>Hi Gerry,
>Look, I have already told you I am a beginner for this
>subject...what you did was not nice... Just Kidding.

Touché

You will be very happy with the SB700. Using a diffuser or bounce techniques can be very useful and is easy to learn and do.

Jerry

Edited to add: The SB700 includes a "basic" diffuser. There are more "exotic" (and expensive) diffusers available, but for ordinary flash photography the included (free) diffuser is just fine.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 16-Dec-12 11:08 PM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

> I normally do not like Flashlight results, as it is so harsh

There are a LOT of ways to have flash illumination be MUCH more subtle. Many of them don't even require a lot of equipment - sometimes not even a great deal of skill. For example, judicious use of bounce can make an ENORMOUS difference. Indoors, and even sometimes outdoors, a single flash in the hot shoe can deliver very soft lighting. I'd recommend having a read over at Neil van Neikirk\'s. Or Strobist.

Of course, other methods can do that too, in other situations - multiple flashes are certainly one of those ways.

> Now the question become what model should I get for my Nikon D800? Is there any compelling reasons that I must get SB910 instead of SB700?

I have an SB-900 for use as a commander and four SB-600s for use as remotes. However, if I'm using only one, I generally take the SB-600 as it's plenty powerful and does pretty much all that I'd want for a single flash. If I had 910's and 700's, I'd be using a 700 most of the time. The best thing is that a 700, unlike my older 600s, can also act as a commander. You could even end up with (say) four or five SB-700s.

> Can someone share some light with me?

Hopefully this has been, well, a flash of insight?

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Mon 17-Dec-12 01:36 PM
960 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 3

St Louis, US

Here is the link on Nikon's site for you to compare the SB 700, SB900, and SB910.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Flashes/index.page

Cheryl

LuxLux Registered since 29th Oct 2012Tue 18-Dec-12 01:34 AM
#8. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 4

Montville, NJ, US

Thanks Cheryl, very useful and informative link.

>Here is the link on Nikon's site for you to compare the SB
>700, SB900, and SB910.
>
>http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Nikon-Products/Flashes/index.page

LuxLux Registered since 29th Oct 2012Tue 18-Dec-12 01:33 AM
#7. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 3

Montville, NJ, US

Hi blm,
I meant, I dislike using simple flash from the camera itself, often found it harsh, no flash is much normal looking. Yes, I plan to learn this bouncing, and setting light etc soon.
And thanks a lot for these links.

>> I normally do not like Flashlight results, as it is so
>harsh
>
>There are a LOT of ways to have flash illumination be MUCH
>more subtle. Many of them don't even require a lot of
>equipment - sometimes not even a great deal of skill. For
>example, judicious use of bounce can make an ENORMOUS
>difference. Indoors, and even sometimes outdoors, a single
>flash in the hot shoe can deliver very soft lighting. I'd
>recommend having a read over at
>Neil
>van Neikirk's>. Or Strobist.
>
>Of course, other methods can do that too, in other situations
>- multiple flashes are certainly one of those ways.
>
>> Now the question become what model should I get for my
>Nikon D800? Is there any compelling reasons that I must get
>SB910 instead of SB700?
>
>I have an SB-900 for use as a commander and four SB-600s for
>use as remotes. However, if I'm using only one, I generally
>take the SB-600 as it's plenty powerful and does pretty much
>all that I'd want for a single flash. If I had 910's and
>700's, I'd be using a 700 most of the time. The best thing is
>that a 700, unlike my older 600s, can also act as a commander.
>You could even end up with (say) four or five SB-700s.
>
>> Can someone share some light with me?
>
>Hopefully this has been, well, a flash of insight?

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 18-Dec-12 12:10 PM
26657 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#10. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond, US

I'm traveling so don't have access to my archives, but here are some that I have previously shown in threads. All of these are lit primarily with a single flash, unmodified (ie no diffusers, umbrellas, etc) and mounted in the hot shoe. I think they are with an SB-900, SB-600 and SB-800, respectively.

I don't think that flash is obvious in any of them, and I certainly think that the lighting is not "harsh," although probably it is not as good as could be achieved with more skill and/or more equipment. But I think that they demonstrate that flash does not need to yield bad, amateurish results.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

hnagy Registered since 02nd Feb 2013Fri 10-May-13 09:36 AM
33 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SB 700 or SB 910, that is the question."
In response to Reply # 0

Cairo, EG

I'm planning for photographing weddings, it's my second wedding tomorrow as an assistant, did anyone tried the SB700 in weddings?
And if I can his feedback please.
Thanks.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60241Search result list | Previous match | Next match

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.