nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60209
View in linear mode

Subject: "Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS." Previous topic | Next topic
cnl390 Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2007Fri 14-Dec-12 05:13 PM
175 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS."

San Antonio, US

I am really getting into this of camera flash using the Commander mode of my D90. I have been experimenting using my SB800 as the slave and was wondering if one slave gives such good results would 2 give better, and 3 even better. Or am I going overboard?
Also where can I find a list of which Nikon flash units are compatible with the commander mode?
Thanks

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS...
gkaiseril Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
Chris Platt Silver Member
14th Dec 2012
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
14th Dec 2012
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
15th Dec 2012
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
16th Dec 2012
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
15th Dec 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 14-Dec-12 05:33 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS."
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

That depends upon the subject and what you are trying to achieve. Search for portrait lighting and you will find lighting examples from the use of 1 light source to 3 or more.

Your camera manual lists the compatible Nikon Speedlights at the time the camera was introduced.

Total Digital Imaging System

D-SLR and Nikon Speedlight Compatibility

Nikon Creative Lighting System (CLS)

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Fri 14-Dec-12 07:52 PM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS."
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

You're not going overboard. Once you learn that flash isn't just used to provide supplemental lighting to a dim scene; that it can and often is used to improve the image by increasing dramatic effect, then the use of multiple flashes can be helpful and fun.

Visit my gallery.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 14-Dec-12 09:27 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS."
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

Charles:

Beware! Speedlights multiply in the dark, feeding on lost socks and clothes dryer lint. I started with a pair of SB800s when they first appeared years ago. Now I have an entire herd of twelve of them. Every time I looked in the nest another one or two showed up.

I often use the entire herd in my night photography of law enforcement officers in various tactical scenarios.

Welcome to the club.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSat 15-Dec-12 11:41 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS."
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Charles:

Don't forget the low powered little Nikon SB-R200 speedlight which was designed for micro/macro photography. It can also be used wirelessly in the CLS mode with or without the R1C1 kit.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 16-Dec-12 03:45 AM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS."
In response to Reply # 5

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Charles:
>
>Don't forget the low powered little Nikon SB-R200 speedlight
>which was designed for micro/macro photography. It can also
>be used wirelessly in the CLS mode with or without the R1C1
>kit.

Absolutely correct! I forgot to mention that one.

Good catch!

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 15-Dec-12 04:11 AM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Sorry, But I have a couple more questions about CLS."
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 16-Dec-12 12:46 PM by Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Also where can I find a list of which Nikon flash units are
>compatible with the commander mode?

The only Nikon flashes that will work wirelessly are the SB600, 700, 800, 900, 910. The 700, and 910 are the newest. You can still find deals on the 600 and 800.

Edited: I forgot the SB200, designed mostly for macro work, but will work as a low-power remote, too.

The 600 doesn't have a commander in it and it won't work in SU-4 mode. It works great as a Remote, but it is at least a stop less powerful than the SB800.

I recommend the SB800 if you can find a good one, so you can fire it rapidly, since it won't overheat or slow down under most situations.

The SB800 has the most power of all of these, although it can't zoom quite as far as the 900 and 910, so they can throw their light out a little further, giving them more effective power in long telephoto shots.

Also, be careful with Nikon-speak terminology. When you fire the SB800 wirelessly, it is nat called a 'slave' unless you are using the SU-4 mode. A 'slave' fires whenever it sees another flash, and its power cannot be adjusted wirelessly. When the SB800 is fired using a Commander, it is called a 'Remote' indicating it is fully adjustable wirelessly.

And, CLS does not mean wireless. CLS simply refers to the Monitor Preflash metering system that is used. The SB400 is an example of a CLS flash that will not work wirelessly.

Nikon calls their wireless system Advanced Wireless Lighting or AWL, or sometimes simply Wireless CLS.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60209 Previous topic | Next topic