nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising

speedlight to umbrella relationship setup???

H3Tex

US
41 posts

Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this author
H3Tex Registered since 08th May 2012
Fri 14-Dec-12 01:18 PM

I’m looking for tips on how to setup my speedlight to umbrella relationship. From what I understand is that it’s best to fill the umbrella with light without spilling over. It kind of seems as though compromises will be needed. The speedlight is not firing into the center of the umbrella because of where the mount places it. Then there is the fact that the umbrella is round and the speedlight pattern is rectangle.

I have a silver umbrella so it is hard for me to see where the light is hitting. I thought about putting a few white strips of paper and taking some small aperture shots into the umbrella.

Does it make a difference if I setup the speedlight to shoot wide angle and have it close to the umbrella vs having it shoot with a tighter spot but place it further from the umbrella.

Any pointer would be appreciated.

Thanks Brian

Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: speedlight to umbrella relationship setup??? luckyphoto Gold Member
14th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: speedlight to umbrella relationship setup??? Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
15th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: speedlight to umbrella relationship setup??? Gray_star
18th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: speedlight to umbrella relationship setup??? HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
18th Dec 2012
Reply message RE: speedlight to umbrella relationship setup??? H3Tex
18th Dec 2012

G