nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60196
View in linear mode

Subject: "Controlling Speedlights from Camera" Previous topic | Next topic
wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011Thu 13-Dec-12 12:59 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Controlling Speedlights from Camera"
Thu 13-Dec-12 01:02 PM by wooster

UK

Hi

I know I can use speedlights in manual mode and control their power remotely from a D700 using the built in flash in commander mode. Is it possible to do this adjusting them by 1/3 stops or am I limited to whole stops unless I use the controls on the actual flash unit itself?

I thought I could but someone is telling me I can't

I'm away from home at the moment without my camera so can't investigate. I've never done it in the past so don't know.

Thanks for any advice offered

Wooster

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 13-Dec-12 07:47 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Controlling Speedlights from Camera"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hi
>
>I know I can use speedlights in manual mode and control their
>power remotely from a D700 using the built in flash in
>commander mode. Is it possible to do this adjusting them by
>1/3 stops or am I limited to whole stops unless I use the
>controls on the actual flash unit itself?
>
>I thought I could but someone is telling me I can't

You are correct. The Commander in the D700 will control the power of the Remotes in 1/3 stop increments.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011Thu 13-Dec-12 09:25 PM
120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Controlling Speedlights from Camera"
In response to Reply # 1

UK

Thank you Russ. Am I further correct in assuming that if you use Radio Popper PX system with the set up, you will also be able to control the flash in 1/3 stop increments manually from the camera?

Wooster

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 13-Dec-12 10:44 PM
26974 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Controlling Speedlights from Camera"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi William,

The PW system allows adjustment in 1/3rd stop incraments and I am sure the Radio Poppers system has the same capability (since they only convert the signals from light pulses to RF and back) though I have never used Radio Poppers.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

wooster Registered since 02nd Nov 2011Sat 15-Dec-12 01:36 AM
#4. "RE: Controlling Speedlights from Camera"
In response to Reply # 3

UK

Thank you for your help

Wooster

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60196 Previous topic | Next topic