Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60163
View in linear mode

Subject: "How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote" Previous topic | Next topic
cutupguy Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2008Tue 11-Dec-12 01:34 AM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"

Tualatin, US

I would appreciate it if someone could tell me which buttons to push to set my SB-800 to Manual AND Remote. I can set either one easily, but I've missed something pretty basic I think because I can't get both.

Thank you!

Al Stewart
D300 18-200mm and now a really cool SB-800!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote
elec164 Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
cutupguy Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
Slohand1 Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
cutupguy Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator
11th Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator
11th Dec 2012
cutupguy Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
MEMcD Moderator
11th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
11th Dec 2012
Slohand1 Silver Member
11th Dec 2012
Arkayem Moderator
12th Dec 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Tue 11-Dec-12 02:55 AM
2094 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Are you referring to SU-4 mode or Wireless CLS?

If SU-4 then pressing the mode button cycles between manual and auto.

With wireless then it's set from the commander.

Pete

Pete

cutupguy Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2008Tue 11-Dec-12 03:32 AM
92 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 1

Tualatin, US

Not SU-4. Just CLS triggering the remote from the popup flash.

The manual screen on the SB-800 shows settings for fractional power, and zoom, if I recall. If I set those things manually, how can the camera fire the strobe if I can't also set remote? If it can't fire remotely, how does it get fired?

Slohand1 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 11-Dec-12 02:59 AM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 0

Los Angeles, US

Al:

Since obtaining my SB-900, I have forgotten about some the SB-800 features but as I recall-you can only set it to Manual or Remote but not both.

Hope this helps.

Best Regards,

Marty

cutupguy Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2008Tue 11-Dec-12 03:27 AM
#4. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 2

Tualatin, US

I guess what I don't understand is, if I want to set the output manually, what fires the light if it can't be triggered from the camera i.e., Remotely? If I set it for remote, then I can't set the output manually except via Commander.

I know via Commander lights can be adjusted, but what is the manual setting for on the SB-800? My flawed understanding tells me I can set the output on the SB-800, but I have to press the red button to make it fire since I can't set it to fire remotely...which is not the way it works, I'm sure. What good would that do except test the light?

I am missing something really basic.

Thanks!

Al

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 11-Dec-12 03:36 AM
26103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Hi Al,

As I wrote below, there are two options (SU-4 (Optical slave mode) or CLS Wireless Flash Control).

There is a third option and that is to use RF triggers. The advantage over SU-4 mode is that your remotes will not be triggered by other Photographers using flash near your remote Speedlights.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 11-Dec-12 03:17 AM
26103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Al,

Do you want to set the flash power Manually at the remote Speedlight?
Set the SB-800 in SU-4 mode Simple Optical Slave mode No Pre-Flashes ( keep in mind that any flash will fire your remote):
Turn the Speedlight On.
Press and hold the SEL (Center of Multi-Selector Button) until four boxes are displayed.
Press the right side of the Multi-Selector to highlight remote mode (the top right box). and Press the SEL (center button)
Then scroll down (-) bottom of the multi-selector to highlight SU-4 then press and hold the SEL button until Remote is displayed.
Press the MODE button once and M 1/1 will be displayed.
You can then change power level from full power to 1/128th power in 1/3rd stop incraments by pushing the (+) (top) or (-) (bottom) buttons on the multi-selector.

If you want to control the flash power Manually from the camera position (Only your flash will trigger the remote Speedlight):
Turn the Speedlight On.
Press and hold the SEL (Center of Multi-Selector Button) until four boxes are displayed.
Press the right side of the Multi-Selector to highlight remote mode (the top right box). and Press the SEL (center button)
Then scroll down (-) bottom of the multi-selector to highlight REMOTE then press and hold the SEL button until Remote is displayed.
Then press the (+) or (-) buttons to set the CHANNEL (1234) to the same channel you have set in your built-in Speedlight or Master (Set in Master mode) then press (SEL).
Then set the Group to A or B (the same as you have set in your built-in Speedlight or Master (Set in Master mode).

Then go into the camera Custom Settings menu
Built-in Flash
Set it to Commander mode.
Then set the Built-in Flash to M or -- if you don't want the built-in Speedlight to contributr to the exposure.
Then set Group A and or B to M then set the power level (Comp) 1/1 - 1/128 power.
Again, make sure that the channel is the same as you set in your remote SB-800.

Best Regards,
Marty

cutupguy Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2008Tue 11-Dec-12 03:55 AM
#7. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 3

Tualatin, US

Marty, I can't thank you enough! Now I understand: Manual settings on the Speedlight only work when triggered via SU-4. When triggered via Commander, all settings are made in the camera.

Gosh! How can it be so complex to turn on a light?

I have only used my SB-800 for indoor bounce, but my goodness what a beautiful difference in my pictures. My cat and my wife are both beautiful now!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 11-Dec-12 04:24 AM
#8. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Al,

Glad to help.

Best Regards,
Marty

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 11-Dec-12 10:47 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 7

Canton, US

I'm sure your wife was beautiful before getting the flash going. Right?

George

Slohand1 Silver Member Charter MemberTue 11-Dec-12 11:43 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 9
Tue 11-Dec-12 11:44 PM by Slohand1

Los Angeles, US

George:

I'm certain Al was having a senior moment when he made the statement regarding his wife. We will know if she read it, if we do not see any responses from Al in the next few days. LOL

Best Regards,

Marty

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 12-Dec-12 03:16 PM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: How to set SB-800 to Manual and Remote"
In response to Reply # 10

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>George:
>
>I'm certain Al was having a senior moment when he made the
>statement regarding his wife. We will know if she read it, if
>we do not see any responses from Al in the next few days. LOL
>
>Best Regards,
>
>Marty

I don't think I would survive! LOL

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60163 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.