Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60129
View in linear mode

Subject: "Beginner flash recommendation" Previous topic | Next topic
thanigai Registered since 21st Nov 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 04:40 AM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Beginner flash recommendation"

Santa Clara, US

Dear Nikonians,
I am looking into getting a speed light to add to my Nikon D7000. I may not purchase it right away. But look for some good deals if I know what I want to get. My primary focus right now is portrait photography and mostly shoot indoors.

I was looking for some cheap options (less than $200). The latest Nikon speed light options are very expensive; so I was looking for some old models. I was searching for SB-600 and don't find this on sale in most places. I found this for less than $200 in the website below. Is this reliable?

http://www.mellodigital.com/productdetail.asp?productid=1109

Please recommend other options if any.

Thank you
Velu

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Chris Platt Silver Member Nikonian since 30th Sep 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 11:50 AM
474 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Beginner flash recommendation"
In response to Reply # 0

Newburg, US

I simply don't believe that they, or any other retailers, have a brand new SB-600 in stock. If I thought that was true, I'd be ordering it right now instead of typing this reply. I would expect you to get a call from them after you order so they can offer you some substitute.

Recommend you always check ResellerRatings.com before buying from an unkown online retailer. There are a number of bait-and-switch folks out there who can be very frustrating to work with.

If you absolutely cannot afford a SB-700, you may want to consider Nissin or some other alternative - with an understanding that you have to be very careful to make sure they are completely compatible with Nikon's CLS/wireless capabilities. I used to recommend Sigma, but their latest products are not compatible with the D7000s wireless system according to their compatibility table.

Visit my gallery.

thanigai Registered since 21st Nov 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 09:38 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Beginner flash recommendation"
In response to Reply # 1

Santa Clara, US

Thanks Chris for the reply.

You are right. There are a lot of complaints about this seller in ResellerRatings.com.

SB-700 is just a little over $100 more expensive than my budget. I will wait for a while and go for the Nikon SB-700 flash.

Thanks
Velu

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 10-Dec-12 08:02 AM
26126 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Beginner flash recommendation"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Velu,

With a resllerrating of 4.75 I would not consider purchasing from MellowDigital either.

Occasionally the Nikon Store and other well known retailers offer Refurbished SB-600's.
You can also find used SB-600's at www.keh.com and other well known Nikon Authorized Dealers.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60129 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.