Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60098
View in linear mode

Subject: "HELP! New to flash photography" Previous topic | Next topic
Tex09 Registered since 01st Dec 2012Fri 07-Dec-12 09:57 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"HELP! New to flash photography"

US

Hi all -- I'm new to flash photography, but not to photography itself. Have a D80, just got a D7000 which will be arriving shortly, along with an SB-700. I've been asked to shoot photos of a therapy dog group, about 20 people and their dogs. It will be at a dog school in a big gymnasium-kind of room, high ceiling, big windows on 2 sides of the room. Even with ambient light, though, it seems a little on the dark side. I've shot before in that room without flash, and I feel like I don't have a good grip on the white balance in that room.

Since dogs are involved, and obviously won't remain completely still for a shot at shutter speed of 1/80, I imagine I should shoot at least at 1/125. I've actually never photographed such large group, but I'm thinking at least f/8 or f/11 since there will be 2 rows of people/dogs.

What do you guys recommend for camera settings and for flash? This is going to be a total learning experience and I'm very excited about it, but at the same time want to do a decent job since everyone is counting on me. I'm been reading through previous posts to trying and determine the best shooting parameters for this situation.

THANKS A BUNCH!!

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Sat 08-Dec-12 12:54 PM
790 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: HELP! New to flash photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Here are some starter tips.

1. First I would read a couple basic blogs on flash.

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/02/how-to-shoot-large-groups-with-nikon.html

2.Don't worry about WB. That's not your major concern. The flash should overcome most of the WB issue. Leave it in auto. If you shoot in RAW you can also adjust WB in post processing.

3. A single SB 700 may be insufficient to evenly light up a 10 people in a row. With a single SB 700 you'll have good lighting in the center and the ends of the rows will be much darker. See if you can use one of the windows as a light source. Light one side with natural light (assuming it's daytime) and the other with the SB 700. If using a window is not possible, you should consider renting or borrowing another Nikon flash (SB 700 to SB 910).

4. Remote the Nikon flashes using Nikon's Creative Lighting System (CLS). Either have stands or assistants point the flashe(s).

5. Practice, practice, practice before you do the shoot. Go over to the gym with your new camera and flash(s). Take test shots.

That should get you started.

Good luck,

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 08-Dec-12 07:34 PM
6014 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: HELP! New to flash photography"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hi all -- I'm new to flash photography, but not to
>photography itself. Have a D80, just got a D7000 which will
>be arriving shortly, along with an SB-700. I've been asked to
>shoot photos of a therapy dog group, about 20 people and their
>dogs. It will be at a dog school in a big gymnasium-kind of
>room, high ceiling, big windows on 2 sides of the room. Even
>with ambient light, though, it seems a little on the dark
>side. I've shot before in that room without flash, and I feel
>like I don't have a good grip on the white balance in that
>room.
>
>Since dogs are involved, and obviously won't remain completely
>still for a shot at shutter speed of 1/80, I imagine I should
>shoot at least at 1/125. I've actually never photographed
>such large group, but I'm thinking at least f/8 or f/11 since
>there will be 2 rows of people/dogs.
>
>What do you guys recommend for camera settings and for flash?
>This is going to be a total learning experience and I'm very
>excited about it, but at the same time want to do a decent job
>since everyone is counting on me. I'm been reading through
>previous posts to trying and determine the best shooting
>parameters for this situation.
>
>THANKS A BUNCH!!

Another important thing to know about photographing dogs (any animals, actually) is that they are 'fast blinkers' this means they can blink faster than the time between your preflash and the main flash. Then, you get dogs with their eyes closed.

The way to solve this is with FV Lock. You aim at the dog and push FV Lock, and it fires the preflash, measures the flash power that is needed, stops and waits for the push of the shutter to fire the main flash. Be sure to practice with this technique before trying to use it. Also, remember that the flash value is locked in to the camera until 1) it times out or 2) you push FV Lock again which unlocks it. You have to redo FV Lock every time you change distance to your subject.

As far as movement goes, the flash will stop the movement of the dogs if you make sure to set the camera to underexpose the ambient by about three stops.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Tex09 Registered since 01st Dec 2012Sun 09-Dec-12 03:52 PM
21 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: HELP! New to flash photography"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks so very much, Larry and Russ!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60098 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.