nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60096
View in linear mode

Subject: "TTL or TTL-BL?" Previous topic | Next topic
J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Fri 07-Dec-12 09:57 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"TTL or TTL-BL?"

US

Can someone can save me a few minutes less time in the chilly night air tonight?

I will be using the SB-700 with my D7000 and shooting a white statue that is being lighted by a light blue flood light placed at ground level. There is no other ambient light since it is in a forest with no moonlight and cloudy. What should work better, TTL or TTL-BL?

Thanks

Jerry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: TTL or TTL-BL?
gbowen Gold Member
07th Dec 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
07th Dec 2012
BOAZ632 Silver Member
08th Dec 2012
Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
08th Dec 2012
mkbee1 Silver Member
15th Dec 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
19th Dec 2012
James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography
19th Dec 2012
J_Harris Silver Member
19th Dec 2012
kj_fi Silver Member
19th Dec 2012
NenBikonian
19th Dec 2012

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2011Fri 07-Dec-12 10:29 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

I guess my question is, why not tripod mount your camera and do an existing light photo? Sounds like that blue light would make for an interesting image.

George

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Fri 07-Dec-12 11:52 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi George,

I tried hand held with existing light last week. The shots were OK, but not great. At ISO 1000, f/2.0 - f/2.8 I was averaging about 1/15 to 1/25 shutter speeds. I guess I could go higher with the ISO, but I don't want to loose too much DR.

Tonight I am going to experiment using my tripod and flash AND hand hold again with higher ISO. If it doesn't get too cold it will be fun. Oh-well, time to choose a jacket and get ready to go.

Jerry

BOAZ632 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Aug 2010Sat 08-Dec-12 12:15 AM
123 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 2

Upper Marlboro, US

>
>Tonight I am going to experiment using my tripod and flash AND
>hand hold again with higher ISO. If it doesn't get too cold it
>will be fun. Oh-well, time to choose a jacket and get ready to
>go.
>
>Jerry
>

If you are going to use a tripod then I would leave the flash at home or in the bag,set my camera to base ISO and use either Aperture or Manual priority. If it were me, I would turn off that other stuff such as ADL, long noise exposure etc.

Nikonian in Upper Marlboro, MD

ADCole
www.adcoleweddingphotoimages.com

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 08-Dec-12 08:44 PM
6021 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I will be using the SB-700 with my D7000 and shooting a white
>statue that is being lighted by a light blue flood light
>placed at ground level. There is no other ambient light since
>it is in a forest with no moonlight and cloudy. What should
>work better, TTL or TTL-BL?
>
>Thanks
>
>Jerry

The general rule is that if you are in low ambient conditions, and you want the flash to provide all of the exposure on the subject use regular TTL.

If you want the flash to balance with the ambient use TTL-BL.

However, you have to use these modes correctly.

TTL: camera in Manual mode, ISO 400 - 800, internal light meter set to show three stops underexposed, camera metering mode doesn't matter. This may not be the mode you want, though, because the blue light will be overpowered by the flash and will not be visible.

TTL-BL: camera in P mode, ISO 100 - 800, light meter will automatically zero itself to make a normal exposure, camera metering mode in matrix. This might work very well in your forest environment, but a very slow shutter speed will probably be needed, so a tripod would also be necessary.

Russ

Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

mkbee1 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Nov 2012Sat 15-Dec-12 04:03 PM
663 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 4
Sat 15-Dec-12 04:31 PM by mkbee1

West Valley, US

Jerry;
Interesting problem! As good as exposure systems today are, this one will take some experimentation,I bet.

Tripod, camera set on Aperture mode, IMO, center-weighted metering, remote release. (one of the very few types of lighting where Matrix will not help much) Small aperture, 11 or 16, to provide a looong exposure. Flash off camera, "Manual" mode. perhaps 1/2 or 1/4 power. Release the shutter, using self-timer delay...oh, btw, did I mention, have a flashlight?...then "paint" with your flash, multiple blasts from different locations. (Press the "test" button.) With the flash at 1/2 or 1/4 power, so it shouldn't overpower the blue spotlight. Maybe a blue gel? Did I mention this will take some experimentation? Use the Inverse Square law to your advantage.

The flash should add some sparkle to the image, and given the long exposure, it shouldn't overpower the blue floodlight. I don't like to bracket, but I'd say this one calls for it.

Good luck, and let us know how it all turns out.

Carl

It is a Fine and Pleasant Madness

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 19-Dec-12 12:59 AM
#6. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 5
Wed 19-Dec-12 10:50 AM by J_Harris

US

Hi Carl (or anyone interested),

These photos probably should be in the "critique" forum but since you asked . Below are a few of the night shots that will give an idea of my night shooting challenge. In daylight without the blue light the statues are a concrete-grey color and the Christmas lights provide more ambient light than I expected.

In todays politically correct atmosphere, I hope the subject of the shots will not offend anyone, and that I don't violate any Nikonian posting rules. I think the night atmosphere and colors make very interesting photos.

Funny story; Last week when I left to take the photos with a flash and Nikonian members suggestions fresh in my mind I discovered after arriving at the destination my SB700 was left at home!

So, these examples were taken without a flash, using D7000, tripod and mirror-up with a Nikon 35mm/1.8 lens. Some of the shutter speeds get pretty low . I did do a little PP to bring out detail in the shadows. The exif data has not been removed from the photos.

In a few days I will return, this time WITH my SB700 and see how much better they can look using a flash. ALL suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Actually, I'm thinking they may look worse using a flash - maybe loosing some of the seasonal/atmospheric feeling.

Jerry

No Flash, Aperture: f/4.5, FL:35mm, Shutter Speed: 1/15", ISO: 1000, Hand Held (first visit)

No Flash, Aperture: f/2.8, FL:35mm, Shutter Speed: 1/15", ISO: 1000, Hand Held (first visit)

No Flash, Aperture: f/5.0, FL:35mm, Shutter Speed: 1/2.5", ISO: 100, Tripod (second visit)

No Flash, Aperture: f/2.8, FL:35mm, Shutter Speed: 1/.5" (yes, 1/2 second), ISO: 100, Tripod (second visit)

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)
Attachment #3, (jpg file)
Attachment #4, (jpg file)

James23p Moderator Awarded for his wide variety of skills, a true generalist both in film and digital photography Nikonian since 25th Apr 2004Wed 19-Dec-12 01:52 AM
9864 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 6

Memphis, US

Wonderful photos I enjoyed them technically and emotionally.

Jim

Share, Learn and Inspire
www.nikonians.org

I will use film until the last roll and last lab are gone. Go Navy

J_Harris Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Mar 2011Wed 19-Dec-12 02:16 AM
#8. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Thank you, Jim.

Jerry

kj_fi Silver Member Nikonian since 18th Jul 2007Wed 19-Dec-12 04:20 PM
317 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 6

Vantaa, FI

Hi,

could you do the shooting a bit earlier, just before Sun sets, while there is still some ambient light left? Then the background in the pictures wouldn't look so dark and the images looked more natural.

Best regards,
Kari

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Wed 19-Dec-12 06:56 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: TTL or TTL-BL?"
In response to Reply # 9
Wed 19-Dec-12 06:58 PM by NenBikonian

Roswell, US

Here's what I'd try:

1) (Similar to Kari's suggestion) Try to shoot just around twilight and experiment with balancing the exposure of the royal blue sky at twilight with the exposure of the christmas/spot lights. That could result in a very nice, but different image.

2) If you're going to use flash - get it off the camera and use it sparingly and restrictively. Don't let it light the whole scene - use snoots or flags to restrict it's throw so that it only adds small touches of light to targeted areas, e.g. to fill the harsh shadows on the statue created by the upward angle of the flood light. Since the lighting from the flood is constant, you can measure the proper camera exposure for the statue/flood beforehand, then position your off-camera SB-700 so that it throws light down onto those areas of harsh-shadow, but not enough to eliminate the shadows, just enough to fill them ever-so-slightly. You might even try using a 1/4-1/2 CTO on it to fill the shadows with just a bit of warmer light and throw a bit of contrast onto the statue. I'd use the flash in remote mode with your commander set to Commander-Manual and start with the output at it's lowest setting (1/64) and gradually increase the power one stop at at time until you find the right balance.

3) Another option would be to put the flash behind the statue, also shooting upward from the ground. Keep it hidden behind the statue, but give it a wide throw so that it creates a halo/fringe highlight on the perimeter of the statue.

Assuming you have relatively unlimited access to this area - you have lots of options...go play!

Cheers,
Ben

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60096 Previous topic | Next topic