Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60062
View in linear mode

Subject: "Can I use a SB-800 as a Master and a SB-80DX as a slave..." Previous topic | Next topic
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Wed 05-Dec-12 02:04 AM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Can I use a SB-800 as a Master and a SB-80DX as a slave?"

Morristown, US

I'm interested in picking up a SB-80DX since they are a fully featured flash that has a wireless mode. Since I use my SB-800 in manual mode would it work as a Master flash that could trigger a SB-80DX as a slave wirelessly?

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Wed 05-Dec-12 03:02 AM
5778 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Can I use a SB-800 as a Master and a SB-80DX as a slave?"
In response to Reply # 0

Naperville, US

Mark,

IIRC, in that configuration, you will need to use SU4 mode to trigger the SB-80DX.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 05-Dec-12 11:57 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Can I use a SB-800 as a Master and a SB-80DX as a slave?"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 05-Dec-12 11:58 AM by gbowen

Canton, US

I thought about getting an SB-80DX to use as a 4th flash. I have an SU-800 controlling my SB-600, 700, and 900. I also know the SB-80 isn't CLS so it won't work with my commander, so my question is this.

If I set all my flashes to manual, and use the commander to control the newer flashes, will the commander prematurely set off the SU-4 slave in the SB-80?

George

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 06-Dec-12 06:05 AM
26103 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Can I use a SB-800 as a Master and a SB-80DX as a slave?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi George,

Yes! If you have the Master Speedlight set in Commander mode, the pre-flash sequence will fire the remotes in SU-4 mode before the shutter opens.
The Speedlight that you use as the Commander must also be set in Manual flash mode.

You could have the Built in Speedlight (set in Manual flash mode) to trigger both the SB-700 and SB-900 (both set in SU-4 mode), the SB-600 (set in Manual mode and in the hotshoe of an SU-4), and the SB-80DX (set in Wireless Slave mode).

You could also use the SB-600 on camera set in Manual flash mode to optically trigger the other Speedlights as discribed above.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 05-Dec-12 04:26 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Can I use a SB-800 as a Master and a SB-80DX as a slave?"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 05-Dec-12 04:27 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

You will not have the iTTL features of the SB-800 you will be fully manual and have to set the power level at the remotes.

The SB-80DX has a TTL but it is the film TTL and uses a reflection off the film emulsion and is not the same as the CLS iTTL system.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60062 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.