Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60039
View in linear mode

Subject: "Erratic SB-600 operation" Previous topic | Next topic
Caledonia Bob Registered since 10th Dec 2011Mon 03-Dec-12 07:25 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Erratic SB-600 operation"

Caledonia ON, CA

My SB-600 that I bought a couple of years ago really let me down the other week and I just want to know if there is an actual problem or if I'm missing something in it's operation.

First, I don't use it a whole lot because most of my shots are scenery but I was tasked with taking some quality pictures of my daughter receiving an award from her college and wanted to make them as good as possible.

Although I'm not overly familiar with the unit (see above) I had lots of time to sit and take endless test shots of the proscenium before hand and finally had it exactly where I wanted it. I let the camera sit for maybe ten minutes and then something told me to try a few more ...just in case. Suddenly my shot was totally washed out and when I tried it in other shooting modes the in-camera flash would pop up instead.

I also noticed that when I scrolled through the zoom settings and it hit 85mm, instead of doing (discerning from the manuals looping diagrammatics anyway) what it should and starting over at 24mm, it made a number of unhealthy sounding crunching noises and then the display showed "--" and I had to shut the unit off to clear it.Still does this BTW.

I also lost the exposure compensation window when all of this was happening.

None of this sounds like something that can be any good ( or normal, surely)but I'm wondering if others have had similar occurrences.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Tue 04-Dec-12 01:24 PM
1511 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Erratic SB-600 operation"
In response to Reply # 0

Rural Virginia, US

My experience with both the SB-600 and SB-800 is operation becomes very erratic when the batteries get low. So that would be the first thing I would check.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 04-Dec-12 05:45 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Erratic SB-600 operation"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

As noted, first check the batteries, Them make sure the flash is seated in the hot shoe and locked. Then look at cleaning the electrical contacts. It is even possible the lens electrical contacts on the lens and camera need to be cleaned.

If there is excessive wiggle with the locked flash, the rails of the hot shoe may need to be adjusted.

Also make sure the flash is fully charged before taking an picture. If the HV, High Voltage, capacitor is fully discharged, it can take a couple of seconds to recharge.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Caledonia Bob Registered since 10th Dec 2011Thu 06-Dec-12 06:15 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Erratic SB-600 operation"
In response to Reply # 2

Caledonia ON, CA

Thanks. I had checked the batteries beforehand and they seemed to charge quick enough and repeatedly. But sure enough, when I dropped a fresh set in it cycles through and back the zoom settings as it should and I can only assume that the gear noise ( which still occurs )is exactly that as it resets to 24MM and needed the extra power to do so.

That will serve as my new test for battery strength.

Now if only I can figure out why I wasn't getting these replies sent to my e-mail?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60039 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.