Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60007
View in linear mode

Subject: "Combining Speedlites" Previous topic | Next topic
Everon Registered since 30th Nov 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 10:33 AM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Combining Speedlites"

PT

Hi all,I have just changed from Canon to Nikon and have invested in the D600 & the SB910. My question is can I use my Canon Speedlite 430 EXII as a slave to the SB910 or the built in flash on the camera?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Combining Speedlites
Arkayem Moderator
02nd Dec 2012
Everon
02nd Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
02nd Dec 2012
Everon
02nd Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
02nd Dec 2012

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSun 02-Dec-12 01:43 PM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Combining Speedlites"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

The Canon eTTL system is entirely different than the Nikon iTTL system, so your 430 will not work in TTL mode with the SB910.

But if the 430 has an optical slave mode, it will work with the 910 in SU-4 mode. Then, the pop-up flash in the D600, in Manual mode, will fire both slaves. Of course, the power setting will be totally manual on both the 430 and the 910.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Everon Registered since 30th Nov 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 05:28 PM
7 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Combining Speedlites"
In response to Reply # 1

PT

Hi Russ
Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my question.
Very much appreciated.
Cheers
Ron

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 02-Dec-12 04:27 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Combining Speedlites"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

As noted, the Speedlight and Speedlite use different formats for control codes and do not cross communicate or interfere/interact with each other. If you invest in the the new PW TTL products for Canon and Nikon you could use the Nikon camera with the Nikon MiniTT1 or Nikon FlexTT5 to control Nikon Speedlights with the Nikon FlesTT5 and Canon Speedlites with the Canon FlexTT5 units attached. PW has created its own control language and can integrate the Nikon and Canon lights into a working unit.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Everon Registered since 30th Nov 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 05:39 PM
#4. "RE: Combining Speedlites"
In response to Reply # 2

PT

Thanks for your response George. I think that I would be better off selling my Canon Speedlite and buying a second Nikon Speedlite rather than investing in 2 different PW's.
Cheers
Ron

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 02-Dec-12 10:03 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Combining Speedlites"
In response to Reply # 4

Chicago, US

You will find the Nikon AWS and older Canon IR control system has limits and bright light or sun outdoors can blind the sensors.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60007 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.