Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60002
View in linear mode

Subject: "CLS weekend" Previous topic | Next topic
gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 01-Dec-12 01:04 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"CLS weekend"

Canton, US

I am excited. I have my SB 600, 700, and 900 ready, and my SU 800 came this week. I have my copy of Mike Hagan's book The Nikon Creative Lighting System in hand. I have my mini studio with softbox, umbrellas and lightstands ready to go. I also have some good videos to watch from AdoramaTV. I have a couple victims (grandchildren) to torment. Muhahaha! So, I am going to learn a thing or two by the time I am done.

Class is now in session!

George

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: CLS weekend
John Bertotti Silver Member
01st Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
01st Dec 2012
01st Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
02nd Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012
Nitehawk5169 Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
04th Dec 2012
jgould2 Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
04th Dec 2012
jgould2 Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
04th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
jgould2 Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
avm247 Moderator
04th Dec 2012
04th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
04th Dec 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member
05th Dec 2012
05th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
05th Dec 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
05th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
05th Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
05th Dec 2012

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 01-Dec-12 10:41 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 01-Dec-12 10:42 PM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

Sounds fun and maybe a little frustrating with the grandkods but fun! I will be interested to hear and see the results! Later Bertotti

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 01-Dec-12 11:54 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 1

Canton, US

Well, today I had domestic matters to take care of, namely cleaning and laundry lol. Tomorrow is more doable.

George

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Sat 01-Dec-12 11:57 PM
569 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 2

Garretson, US

I suppose you could have taken a few shots of the laundry, then again maybe not! Hahahaha later Bertotti

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 02-Dec-12 01:38 AM
#4. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 3

Canton, US

Please, not the unmentionables!

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 03-Dec-12 12:04 AM
#5. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 1
Mon 03-Dec-12 12:19 AM by gbowen

Canton, US

Here's a rather impromptu portrait of Brooke, my precocious granddaughter. She loves posing for her grampy.

I used my SU-800 to control my SB 900 in a softbox to camera left, an SB 700 shooting into an umbrella to camera right, and a snooted SB 600 behind and above Brooke to camera left. I also used a silver reflector to fill in the shadow areas under her chin and nose. D7000 was set to manual, all flashes were set to TTL. ISO 200, f7.1 at 1/125th. I was using my 85mm f1.8 AF-D. I am so rusty I forgot to check my aperture and shutter speed. Sometimes you just get lucky!

I think I was a bit off with the direction of the snoot as too much light spilled onto her nose area, casting a bit of shadow on her right eye. Ah well, this was a training session. I had fun doing it and I am getting more comfortable setting up and shooting with my small studio.

I did a bit of PP with PS 5 and Portrait Pro Studio. I am not adept at PP, but I gave it a shot.

Comments and CC?

George

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010Mon 03-Dec-12 10:30 PM
346 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 5

Williamstown, US

George,

I am sure from your previous posts, this is not your first use of flash but your first attempt with this setup. I like what you have done here. My only suggestion would be to change the lighting ever so slightly to eliminate the shadow under your granddaughter's right eye. This could be corrected in PP but you have indicated that this lighting thing is a challenge and I think you would feel more accomplishment to correct it in camera.

Mike

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 04-Dec-12 01:40 AM
#8. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 6

Canton, US

It was actually my first attempt with a snoot. I either need to narrow the opening a bit, or change the angle by moving my subject out away from the wall more. The light needed to come from above and behind and just hit her hair. Ok, lesson learned.

Thanks, guys.

George

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 12:13 AM
#7. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 5

Garretson, US

I like it but the shadow is distracting, I don't think it will take you much to correct it seems you did very well for the first time with this setup. Later Bertotti

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Tue 04-Dec-12 04:13 PM
4390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#12. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 5

El Segundo (Los Angeles), US

Hi George.

Looking good except for the shadow under the eye and on her left shoulder, should be easy solve by moving the hair light back and up. Great fun, isn't it?

JIM

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 04-Dec-12 04:21 PM
#13. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 12

Canton, US

>Hi George.
>
>Looking good except for the shadow under the eye and on her
>left shoulder, should be easy solve by moving the hair light
>back and up. Great fun, isn't it?
>
>JIM

Yes it is, Jim. My granddaughter is a natural. And to be honest, I was just experimenting. So making a small mistake like that is actually encouraging. I can only get better!

Thanks for the kind words.

George

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 05:29 PM
#14. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 13

Garretson, US

Posting photos like this benefits us all! Thanks for stepping up. I learned a lot from your post here thanks! Bertotti

So what's next? More grandchildren or still life's?

Now one question, you mentioned the snoot, is this the product you were talking about?
http://www.garyfongestore.com/featured-products/lightsphere-collapsible-pro-kit.html
This kit looks very useful to me.
I have been eyeing it daily and your results above add to this desire. Thanks, I think.

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Tue 04-Dec-12 05:58 PM
4390 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#16. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 14

Hi John.

A snoot is anything that acts like a tunnel for the flash to travel through. The most common ones for speedlights are just flat pieces of stiff fabric that you wrap around your flash and attach with velcro. Then the flash is more like a flashlight beam.

JIM

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 06:09 PM
#17. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 16

Garretson, US

An gotcha, doesn't mean the item in my link doesn't call to me a bit but with this in mind I could make something myself to experiment with. Thanks! Bertotti

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 04-Dec-12 06:09 PM
#18. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 16

Canton, US

I actually used a flexible dewshield from my little Celestron telescope. I had to wrap it around a couple times and secured it with some velcro. You can also make one from black heavy duty construction paper and tape. It's a simple device you can make for cheap.

I do have a question about the length of the snoot. I assume the longer the snoot, the narrower the beam? How narrow should you go? I suppose it depends on the effect you desire.

George

jgould2 Gold Member Fellow Ribbon awarded for his excellent and frequent contributions and sharing his in-depth knowledge and experience with the community in the Nikonians spirit. Nikonian since 13th Oct 2007Tue 04-Dec-12 06:27 PM
#20. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 18

Hi George.

"I assume the longer the snoot, the narrower the beam? How narrow should you go? I suppose it depends on the effect you desire."

Exactly.

JIM

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 04-Dec-12 07:24 PM
#21. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 20

Canton, US

Ahhh, so I should make a narrow snoot to help with direction. Good. I have some black construction paper to play with. Fun, fun!

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 04-Dec-12 06:14 PM
#19. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 14

Canton, US

>Posting photos like this benefits us all! Thanks for stepping
>up. I learned a lot from your post here thanks! Bertotti

I'm very glad to help. The only way to learn is to just do it.

>So what's next? More grandchildren or still life's?

Actually I am planning an ambitious project for Christmas. I plan to photograph all 6 of my grandchildren and present my work as Christmas gifts to their families. (And to adorn my walls of course!)

George

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 04-Dec-12 05:40 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#15. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 12

Chicago, US

Turn the camera upside down and have the flash light from below the subject.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 04-Dec-12 02:27 AM
18357 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

George you're making me want to spend money I don't have...

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Tue 04-Dec-12 02:29 AM
#10. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 9

Garretson, US

I understand completely. Wish I had a breeding pair of sb910's!

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 04-Dec-12 09:51 AM
#11. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 9

Canton, US

>George you're making me want to spend money I don't have...
>
>

Haha, that happens to me all the time here!

George

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Wed 05-Dec-12 01:21 AM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#22. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 05-Dec-12 01:40 AM by barrywesthead

Kleinburg, CA

Bee-uu-tiii-ful, George!

Great lighting and post processing!

My approach (having constantly to make up for details overlooked at the shutter click instant): When you’ve got it 95% right try the last 5% in post processing. In this case nothing more than a few clicks with the clone tool.

I don’t often mess with other folk’s images but couldn’t resist. This may be sacrilege to “pure photographers” but I find it truly joyful stepping into the post processing creative process - "being in the zone". A little intervention goes a long way.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

John Bertotti Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Wed 05-Dec-12 01:24 AM
#23. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 22
Wed 05-Dec-12 07:14 AM by John Bertotti

Garretson, US

What distracts me the most are the four distinct light reflections in here eyes. Still a nice picture!

Barry I see you removed some of the light in her eyes, that seems more natural to me. Later Bertotti

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 05-Dec-12 10:05 AM
#26. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 23

Canton, US

Yeah, and I'm not sure what those were. Oh, wait, maybe the reflector I used to fill in under her chin. I was experimenting, so maybe that isn't needed. Or maybe I had it placed wrong. It was in front of her, resting on a prop and angled toward her.

George

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Wed 05-Dec-12 04:51 AM
789 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#24. "RE: CLS weekend"

HIXSON, US

Actually, you have done too good of a job under her right eye. It makes the under the left eye look like it needs a little work.

BTW, if you are not familiar with the loupe shadow, you might look it up. The nose shadow is almost a good thing.

Charlie

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 05-Dec-12 10:08 AM
#27. "RE: CLS weekend"
In response to Reply # 24

Canton, US

I see what you mean, Charlie. Light placement and angles are something I need to learn about. Ah well, school is in session!

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 05-Dec-12 10:01 AM
#25. "RE: CLS weekend"
Wed 05-Dec-12 10:51 AM by gbowen

Canton, US

>Bee-uu-tiii-ful, George!
>
>Great lighting and post processing!

Thanks! It helps having a great subject to work with. Brooke is a natural.
>
>My approach (having constantly to make up for details
>overlooked at the shutter click instant): When you’ve got it
>95% right try the last 5% in post processing. In this case
>nothing more than a few clicks with the clone tool.

My daughter is good with Photo Shop. I'll get her to show me how to use it. Thanks for fixing that.

>I don’t often mess with other folk’s images but couldn’t
>resist. This may be sacrilege to “pure photographers” but I
>find it truly joyful stepping into the post processing
>creative process - "being in the zone". A little
>intervention goes a long way.

Step on in! I am doing this to learn and it's great. Love what you did with this.

George

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #60002 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.