Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #600
View in linear mode

Subject: "Flash Diffuser" Previous topic | Next topic
rmadeo Basic MemberTue 13-Nov-01 03:04 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Flash Diffuser"

I've seen a lot of photographers using a translucent diffuser that fits over the head of their flash. Couple of questions:

1. What's that called?
2. Will my SB-28 and N80 retain their functions while using it?

Thanks

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Flash Diffuser
WingSpan
13th Nov 2001
Photophil
15th Nov 2001
jjussi
15th Nov 2001
Photophil
15th Nov 2001
Nikon_Freak
04th Dec 2001

WingSpan Basic MemberTue 13-Nov-01 04:09 PM
674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Flash Diffuser"
In response to Reply # 0

Gainesville, US

Check out: http://www.stofen.com/

They explain it much better than I can.

WingSpan

Richard

My Photo Gallery

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberThu 15-Nov-01 01:16 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Flash Diffuser"
In response to Reply # 0

Gent, BE

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-01 AT 05:29 PM (GMT)

Hi,

It's called omni-bounce from Sto-fen. It takes away about two stops of light. If you use TTL, you don't have to make any adjustments, just make sure you get close enough to your subject, because you can't use your maximum distance as displayed on the flash. Each flash has also a minimum distance. Using the diffuser, you can shorten that distance without risking to overexposure your subject. In macro, when you get really close, it is good to get even lighting and less harsh shadows.

http://www.wildeyes.be/gekko.jpg
Barking gekko Nikon F4s - Sigma 180mm SB-26 Omni bounce diffuser.

Cheers,
Photophil

http://www.wildeyes.be

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

jjussi Basic MemberThu 15-Nov-01 02:55 PM
367 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Flash Diffuser"
In response to Reply # 2

KLAUKKALA, FI

>Each flash has also a
>minimum distance. Using the diffuser,
>you can shorten that distance
>without risking to overexposure your
>subject.

I don't know where that "shortest" distance come from, but I have take photos with my F90x and SB-26 from 5cm. even flash says that minimum distance is 60cm.
It's TTL so it should not have minimum distance! (I think)

--
© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All picture what are posted to www.nikonians.org

© Jussi Jääskeläinen from Finland
All photos posted to nikonians

Photophil Awarded for his valuable contributions to the Resources, most notably in Wildlife Photography Basic MemberThu 15-Nov-01 03:10 PM
9987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Flash Diffuser"
In response to Reply # 3

Gent, BE

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-01 AT 05:12 PM (GMT)

The minimum distance changes when you change your aperture. When you take pictures at full opening, and your subject is very close, your flash might be unable to shut off the light soon enough.

Cheers,
Photophil

http://www.wildeyes.be

Cheers,
Philippe

WILDEYES / ARTERRA
Before You Attempt To Beat The Odds. Be Sure You Could Survive The Odds Beating You.

Nikon_Freak Basic MemberTue 04-Dec-01 02:04 PM
1846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#5. "RE: Flash Diffuser"
In response to Reply # 4

Mt. Juliet, US

I have been using an Omni Bounce with a Vivitar 283 for years. I have had the flash for 22 years and the Omni Bounce for aout 3 years. Never had any problem. Matter fact it was the best thing I could purchased for that 283. Can't wait until the one for my SB-28 comes in.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #600 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.