Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59943
View in linear mode

Subject: "flash at basketball game" Previous topic | Next topic
sigwart Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jun 2007Mon 26-Nov-12 03:35 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"flash at basketball game"

Courtland, US

In the old days with film, I had no problem freezing action with a flash. Not so with my Nikon 300 and SB900. In a gym with low light, it is not possible to take basketball action pictures with available light and freeze the action. In using flash, I still get some blur. How should I set my camera? manual, aperture or shutter priority? What shutter speed should I use if in manual or shutter priority? Should my flash be on TTL? Thanks for any help, Sigwart

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Bob Chadwick Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2006Mon 26-Nov-12 11:38 AM
2038 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: flash at basketball game"
In response to Reply # 0

Norcross, US

I've shot basketball with the D300 with flash. You need to be at least two stops below the correct non-flash exposure to freeze the action with the flash. I would set my camera to manual and set the shutter at 1/250 with the lens wide open. I would then set the ISO at the setting that underexposed by two stops. For me this was 800.

There is some discussion about using the flash in manual or in TTL. I preferred to use TTL as the players weren't always the same distance from the camera. I also had to play with the flash compensation to keep the hot spots down. If you can find a surface to bounce the flash off of, so muc the better.

Visit
My Nikonians Gallery
NorcrossPics.Com

sigwart Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jun 2007Mon 26-Nov-12 11:34 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: flash at basketball game"
In response to Reply # 1

Courtland, US

Thanks Bob, I will give it a try. At least I have a starting point. Thanks again, sigwart

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59943 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.