Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59939
View in linear mode

Subject: "su-800" Previous topic | Next topic
bert1eboddy Registered since 21st Sep 2010Sun 25-Nov-12 04:24 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"su-800"

GB

Hi,

I am wanting a wireless commander for my d700 and found the su-800.

However, in the past, someone mentioned a universal on is cheaper.

Can anyone help? I am wanting to use one or two speedlights off camera and would really like to know what my best options are.

Thank you

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: su-800
BR
26th Nov 2012
jrp Administrator
28th Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
28th Nov 2012
Luke_Miller Silver Member
28th Nov 2012
bert1eboddy
29th Nov 2012
mrpenguin Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
02nd Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
02nd Dec 2012
mrpenguin Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
mrpenguin Silver Member
02nd Dec 2012
gbowen Gold Member
03rd Dec 2012

BR Registered since 17th Nov 2006Mon 26-Nov-12 12:21 AM
542 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 0

Glen Mills, US

Are you aware that you can use the built-in flash in the D700 to control remote flash units, as described on gg. 311 of the D700 manual (Commander Mode)?

Barry

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 28-Nov-12 05:31 AM
34538 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

My partner Bo and I have tested quite a few third party accessories for various cameras and our experience has never been too happy when it comes to power packs and triggers.
One of them fried one of his digital bodies.
The D700 is too dear a body to experiment again.
So I bought an SU-800 quite some time ago and I love it.
While you can use the built-in flash from the D700 to fire your remote speedlights, the SU-800 allows you to set up to three groups in four channels.
I find this feature very useful for creative lighting, product photography and especially when there are other cameras present that may trigger your own remote speedlights, like at family affairs and social events.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 28-Nov-12 10:02 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 2

Canton, US

Yikes! Fried electronics is not good.

You know it seems like a lot of people dis the SU-800. I personally love the critter. I am on my second unit and I love how simple and flexible it is. Sure, it's bigger than a PW AC-3, but it's smaller than my speedlights.

George

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Wed 28-Nov-12 01:48 PM
1494 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 0

Rural Virginia, US

I've had good luck with my SU-800 as well. I think many of the complaints about its performance outdoors come from not positing the remote flashes so their CLS sensors have direct line of sight to the SU-800.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

bert1eboddy Registered since 21st Sep 2010Thu 29-Nov-12 01:04 PM
42 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

Thank you for all your help.
I think I will go for the su-800,l sounds just what I am lookimg for.

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 03:03 PM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 5

Windsor, CA

I am considering buying the SU-800, I have two SB-910 and one SB-900 flashes and I think the SU-800 is a cheaper way to control my off camera flashes.
I was not able to find a proper review of the SU-800 on google.
Can anybody direct me to a proper review so that I can make a decision on buying or not buying the SU-800 ?

I heard it uses some weird battery, which sucks because I just spend $300 on rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for all my electronic gear.

Visit Windsor wedding photographer.

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 02-Dec-12 04:08 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 6

Canton, US

>I am considering buying the SU-800, I have two SB-910 and one
>SB-900 flashes and I think the SU-800 is a cheaper way to
>control my off camera flashes.
>I was not able to find a proper review of the SU-800 on
>google.
>Can anybody direct me to a proper review so that I can make a
>decision on buying or not buying the SU-800 ?
>
>I heard it uses some weird battery, which sucks because I just
>spend $300 on rechargeable AA and AAA batteries for all my
>electronic gear.

It uses the CR123 3 volt lithium. Cost me 10 bucks! Probably cheaper online or at Wal Mart. Hopefully it lasts a long time.

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sun 02-Dec-12 09:45 PM
#8. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 6

Canton, US

Get one! So easy to work with a small studio setting. I have 3 speedlights, an SB600, 700, and a 900. I am able to adjust the output of each flash to get the effects I want. You can shut off a flash or its group to see how it affects your overall lighting. You can adjust EV levels with ease. I love mine and I plan to keep it a long time.

I think having a small speedlight studio with softboxes, and umbrellas with associated light stands is really a great idea, even if you have studio strobes. You can't beat the portability and ease of use.

George

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 10:49 PM
252 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 8

Windsor, CA

I dont have a studio but I am thinking about using it for event photography where I set up off camera flash ... is getting the SU-800 a good idea for that or more only for studio ?

mrpenguin Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Feb 2012Sun 02-Dec-12 10:52 PM
#10. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 9
Sun 02-Dec-12 11:21 PM by mrpenguin

Windsor, CA

What do you guys think about this product instead of the SU-800 ?

http://www.phottix.com/en/phottix-odin-ttl-flash-trigger-for-nikon.html

I already own the flash triggers and receivers, would this product work better for even photography because it does not need lign of site ??

I have the None TTL Phottix transmitters.
I want to go TTL thats why i was thinking the SU-800

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Mon 03-Dec-12 09:37 AM
#11. "RE: su-800"
In response to Reply # 10

Canton, US

I have no experience with this type of wireless, but it seems to me that it would be more reliable since it does not rely on infrared. Infrared can be fooled by bright lights and generally won't trigger a flash that has its IR port covered or is in another room. Also a large open area with no reflective walls can hinder it.

George

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59939 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.