Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59927
View in linear mode

Subject: "Comments Welcome" Previous topic | Next topic
BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 06:50 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Comments Welcome"

US

I'm trying to learn flash techniques.
Thanks everyone for your help in previous posts.

This is my first try, putting all your suggestions together.

The below photo was taken in my kitchen. D7000 on manual as Flash Commander with the IR cover over the onboard flash. I had a SB700 at camera-left with a diffusion umbrella (white translucent). The flash was set to manual, and reduced power via the D7000 commander settings.

I'm trying to reduce the background to black, or almost black, while getting good exposure on the subject. I think a snoot would work better.

I'm not there yet, but I was pleased with this first try. My daughter was very patient

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

JBS101 Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Apr 2009Sat 24-Nov-12 08:02 PM
508 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Comments Welcome"
In response to Reply # 0

Canberra, AU

Bill,

I quite like this shot. My only suggestion would be to put a little more light onto her hair so as to separate the subject from the background. You could achieve that by either raising the height of the flash or using a hair light.

John

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 08:53 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Comments Welcome"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

Awesome first attempt! You are on the right track. I agree about the hair light. Great skin tone and posing. Keep up the good work!

George

BillS52 Silver Member Nikonian since 22nd Apr 2011Sat 24-Nov-12 10:25 PM
187 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Comments Welcome"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Thanks.

The learning curve was high for me.
First serious attempt at Manual Camera as well as Manual Flash.

I agree about the flash height; it could have been higher.

Also, I may have tried using the onboard flah to fill on her hair.

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010Sun 25-Nov-12 06:28 PM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Comments Welcome"
In response to Reply # 0

Williamstown, US

Bill,

I like your first attempt at flash photography. It looks very natural and your WB looks good. I think an easy way to accomplish what you want is to use a black backdrop and the previously suggested hair light. If you have time you can download from iTunes the free podcasts from Lastolite called Lastolite School of Photography. It is supporting Lastolite but they show you how to accomplish indoor and outdoor portrait photography. It will help you to improve your skills to then figure what you need to accomplish your goals.

Mike

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59927 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.