nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59902
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-910 and D3200" Previous topic | Next topic
John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 01:09 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-910 and D3200"

Garretson, US

Using this beast on the camera I call the little baby. Quite the contrast in size but seems to work very well. I am pouring over manuals and photography book this long nasty weather weekend and have a question. My D3200 will not function as a commander but could I use a cable to rub the 910 as an off camera flash? If so which cable and is it worth the price? Am I better off just buying another flash, which won't happen anytime soon? Thanks Bertotti

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB-910 and D3200
gbowen Gold Member
23rd Nov 2012
John Bertotti Gold Member
23rd Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
23rd Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
23rd Nov 2012
23rd Nov 2012
23rd Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
23rd Nov 2012
23rd Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
23rd Nov 2012
HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources.
23rd Nov 2012
23rd Nov 2012

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 01:24 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 23-Nov-12 01:36 PM by gbowen

Canton, US

I have an SC-28 which I use on a Stroboframe flash bracket. Works very well. Of course the 910 can be set as commander, but if you have no other flashes, it is a moot point. You could also get an SU-800 Commander. I have one and it works great for indoor studio work. You can control up to 3 groups of flashes remotely using CLS.

So the 3200's popup flash can't be set to commander? I'm rather surprised, but then I know nothing about that camera.

George

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 01:36 PM
760 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 1

Garretson, US

I was hoping to get it farther off camera like 6-10 feet off. If possible and still use the inboard flash as front fill. Probably asking to much there but just getting it farther off camera would be good. Thanks! Bertotti

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 01:48 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 2
Fri 23-Nov-12 01:56 PM by gbowen

Canton, US

I don't think Nikon makes an extension for the SC-28. You could set the 910 to SU-4 mode where it is in optical slave mode, and trigger it with your on camera flash. You'd have to set the flash up to either auto or manual 1/1. Otherwise you need the SU-800 to utilize remote CLS functions, either TTL or manual, but controllable from the Commander. That way you avoid any interference from the onboard flash.

EDIT: You can play with manual settings. M 1/1 is just the starting point. You can dial down to 1/128.

George

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 01:54 PM
#4. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 3

Canton, US

By the way, I am sitting here with my SB-900 and SB-600 playing around with menus. Your questions got me thinking, so that's a good thing.

George

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 01:57 PM
#6. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 4

Garretson, US

You know that's what I really like about this place. All the questions and points of view really helps a person grow.

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 01:55 PM
#5. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 3

Garretson, US

I didn't even think of trying manual. Time to experiment. I sure wish the D3200 would work as a commander. I guess they have to differentiate models somehow. Pity really. Hey thanks for the suggestion. I now have another day of new experiments! Thanks! Bertotti

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 01:58 PM
#7. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 5

Canton, US

Hey, you are welcome. It's educational for me to dive into questions like yours. Sometimes I get corrected by more experienced photographers, but that is also helpful. We are here to learn.

George

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 04:32 PM
#8. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 7

Garretson, US

I am quickly coming to the conclusion that, like glass, flash, can be just as addictive!

Wow good thing I re-read my sentence above, not sure what filters there are here but the gl was missing from a word above and in that sentence it creates a whole new meaning! Doh!

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Apr 2011Fri 23-Nov-12 05:03 PM
#9. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 8

Canton, US

Hah, very true!

Yes, speedlights are addictive. I have 3 now and considering a 4th. I figure I may try for an SB-800. After all, I need to fill in the gap.

SB-600, SB 700, and an SB-900. Oh, and add an SU-800. I love CLS!

George

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberFri 23-Nov-12 05:51 PM
8521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

John:

George is right!

Speedlights can become addictive. I started out with a breeding pair of SB800s when they first appeared. Every time I looked in the nest another one or two appeared. I now have an entire herd of them, twelve at last count. I think they multiply in the dark, using lost socks and dryer lint for energy.

Welcome to the wonderful world of CLS!

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

John Bertotti Gold Member Nikonian since 01st Jul 2012Fri 23-Nov-12 09:45 PM
#11. "RE: SB-910 and D3200"
In response to Reply # 10

Garretson, US

After the sb910 purchase and Christmas presents much else for cameras has to wait a bit. So I decided to dig out some old gold lame and silver lame clothing my wife had and, hmmm, repurpose it. I think they will make interesting colored reflectors! Hahahhaa now to wait and see if I'm in the dog house or not! Doh!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59902 Previous topic | Next topic