Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59898
View in linear mode

Subject: "Has my SB600 died?" Previous topic | Next topic
RJLOMMD Gold Member Nikonian since 06th Jul 2004Thu 22-Nov-12 07:42 PM
249 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Has my SB600 died?"

Owings Mills, US

I just checked my SB600 and it would not turn on. I haven't been using it much lately--using my SB800 instead. But the SB600 did see some use last week and it was working. Naturally I looked at the batteries. I did notice that one (regular alkaline) battery had leaked a little bit. Just enough to leave some whitish residue at the top and on the cover contact.

After cleaning it up with a soft brush, I replaced the batteries with 4 Eneloops (white), but still nothing. Just to be sure, I took the 4 Eneloops from my SB800 --which I know is working fine-- and put them in the SB600. Still nothing.

Any ideas on what may have happened?? I'd appreciate any assistance or advice. But, of course, I can wait until tomorrow as I suspect quite a few us us Nikonians will be busy digesting Turkey today rather than talking Turkey!

May all Nikonians enjoy and give thanks.

R.J.L
Owings Mills, MD

Nikonians Gallery
Picasa Gallery
PBase Gallery

----------------------
enjoying many years "playing through the viewfinder"...but now getting more serious about making quality images.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Has my SB600 died?
gbowen Gold Member
22nd Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
26th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
24th Nov 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
25th Nov 2012
Nitehawk5169 Gold Member
25th Nov 2012

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Thu 22-Nov-12 08:34 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Has my SB600 died?"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

Well, may sound obvious, but let's cover the bases. Did you make sure the polarity of the batteries is correct? Is the spring tension in each slot sufficient to make contact? Other than that, it should work unless something leaked inside and messed up the electronics.

George

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 26-Nov-12 04:24 AM
791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Has my SB600 died?"
In response to Reply # 1

HIXSON, US

One other thing that I forgot to mention. Do NOT leave your batteries in a flash when it is not going to be used for awhile, like not even over night.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 24-Nov-12 02:35 AM
25935 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Has my SB600 died?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Robert,

Try cleaning the electrical contacts on your SB-600 with Q-Tips and a 50/50 mixture of white vinigar and water. Do this until all traces of the corrosion are gone. Then dampen Q-Tips with clean water thougholy to nutralize the vinigar. After rinsing use dry Q-tips to absorb the water. Let the Speedlight dry out for at least 24 hours before installing batteries.
With a little luck hopefully it will work.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sun 25-Nov-12 03:58 PM
791 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Has my SB600 died?"
In response to Reply # 0

HIXSON, US

R.J.L.

I am sure that I will get flamed for the heresy that I am about to profer, but...

There are a lot of people that have problems with SB600 that either won't startup at all or won't fire.

1) You have been given several hints for improving battery contacts. One more would be to use a paper clip or some such to pry up the contacts on the bottom of the battery chamber.
2) Sometimes the battery chamber can get jostled & it will hit and dislodge the inductor below it from the printed circuit board. Are you comfortable with a soldering iron. WARNING! There is a charge built up on a condenser that if discharged could stop your heart. Here is a link should you want to chance it.
http://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Disassembling-Nikon-SB-600-Speedlight-Bottom-half-of-the-flash/7682/1
3) The other thing that can go wrong is breaking of the bulb (fresnel?). Some have found the part & repaired it themselves.
4) Some have reported repair charges from Nikon at about $130-$150.
5) I think you have to weigh the risk reward of trying to repair it yourself or having someone else to repair it or purchasing a used working one or a new SB700 (or other) with warranty.

Try googling or binging "SB600 Won't startup", etc. to see more information.

Good Luck!
Charlie

Nitehawk5169 Gold Member Nikonian since 22nd Feb 2010Sun 25-Nov-12 08:19 PM
347 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Has my SB600 died?"
In response to Reply # 0

Williamstown, US

Robert,

You have been given many good suggestions from previous posts. I have had this white corrosion before on electrical contacts when a defective battery is encountered. As is with a car battery, this is a corrosive residue that must be removed and the contacts cleaned to prevent further problems. I have had no problems with my SB600 but I have a (and it still works) Vivitar 283 that years ago got corroded with a battery leak and it took some super fine steel wool and rubbing alcohol to cleanup. It also would not work after cleaning the contacts. After replacing the batteries, I held the flash unit in one hand and drove the side of the unit into my other open flat hand. At once I heard the capacitor/ thyristor start to whine as it built up the charge to flash the unit.

The one thing I have learned over my many years of electronics is to always remove the batteries from any valuable device when you will not be using it because it is too easy for good batteries to ruin an electronic device and that doesn't account for cheap batteries. The only things I do not remove them from are my wireless mice and keyboards because I use them everyday. One day I went to replace one of my wireless keyboard sets of batteries because the the computer said the batteries were out of power and sure enough one of the "copper tops" was starting to corrode. Good luck with the SB600.

Mike

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59898 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.