Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59866
View in linear mode

Subject: "Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye" Previous topic | Next topic
chanrahan Registered since 31st May 2004Tue 20-Nov-12 07:59 PM
164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"

Baltimore, US

Hello,

I've just purchased a Gary Fong Collapsable Lightsphere and I'm wondering if I will need to raise it up off of the camera via a flash bracket in order to avoid issues with Red Eye.

Thanks,

Chris

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye
mklass Platinum Member
20th Nov 2012
chanrahan
20th Nov 2012
jrp Administrator
21st Nov 2012
chanrahan
21st Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member
21st Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
21st Nov 2012
chanrahan
22nd Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
22nd Nov 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 20-Nov-12 10:19 PM
5811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Possibly, but only if you have your speedlight aimed directly at the subject and with no dome on the lightsphere.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

chanrahan Registered since 31st May 2004Tue 20-Nov-12 11:52 PM
164 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"
In response to Reply # 1
Wed 21-Nov-12 03:53 AM by chanrahan

Baltimore, US

Most times I think I'll have it pointed straight up. I know that some light will be thrown forwards toward the subject, and I was wondering if that light would cause Red Eye to occur. If the light is softened, does that mean that it is less likely to cause Red Eye, even if it is on the same plane as the subject's eyes?

Chris

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberWed 21-Nov-12 02:56 AM
34191 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"
In response to Reply # 2

San Pedro Garza García, MX

I have never seen red eye on my subjects when shot with a Gary Fong flash diffuser straight up. And I shoot them often.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

chanrahan Registered since 31st May 2004Wed 21-Nov-12 03:58 AM
#4. "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"
In response to Reply # 3

Baltimore, US

Hi JRP, and thanks for your reply. How well does the Lightsphere perform in a situation where the ceiling is too high to bounce the flash? Is the light thrown forward when the Lightsphere is pointed straight up enough to light the subject?

Chris

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Wed 21-Nov-12 11:19 AM
5811 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"
In response to Reply # 4
Wed 21-Nov-12 11:21 AM by mklass

Tacoma, US

That is when you use one of the domes available for the LS (if you bought it new, it should have come with one, reversible dome). You still shouldn't have any problem with red-eye.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 21-Nov-12 01:24 PM
5985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hello,
>
>I've just purchased a Gary Fong Collapsable Lightsphere and
>I'm wondering if I will need to raise it up off of the camera
>via a flash bracket in order to avoid issues with Red Eye.

I never used the collapsable one, but I shot hundreds of weddings using the regular Fong Light Sphere. It is a great device! 95% of the time, keep it pointed straight up with the inverted dome installed and shoot in regular TTL. It will send enough light forward for normal exposures out to about 25 feet. Then, the bounced light fills in the rest of the image with soft wrapping light giving almost studio quality. Make sure to keep the shutter high enough to eliminate the ambient on the subject - I usually used 1/80th to 1/160th shutter.

The only time I got any significant red eye was when using a telephoto of 100mm or more. Then, you have to get the flash up higher above the camera to stop it, or simply fix it in post processing like I did.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

chanrahan Registered since 31st May 2004Thu 22-Nov-12 01:50 AM
#7. "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"
In response to Reply # 6

Baltimore, US

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your reply. One more follow-up question, if I may. How would I gel my flash when using the lightsphere in combination with my SB-800 and the SJ-1 gels from Nikon that correct for tungsten light? Does someone make gels designed to work with this configuration? The ones that Gary Fong makes appear to be colored gels, and not used for Tungsten correction.

Thanks as always,

Chris

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 22-Nov-12 02:33 AM
5985 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Gary Fong Collapsable Lighsphere and Red Eye"
In response to Reply # 7

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Hi Russ,
>
>Thanks for your reply. One more follow-up question, if I may.
> How would I gel my flash when using the lightsphere in
>combination with my SB-800 and the SJ-1 gels from Nikon that
>correct for tungsten light? Does someone make gels designed
>to work with this configuration? The ones that Gary Fong
>makes appear to be colored gels, and not used for Tungsten
>correction.
>
>Thanks as always,

I never gel'd my flash when using a Light Sphere, but I think that you could simply put the gel over the flash as usual and put the LS over it. The LS is totally neutral in color, so it should not affect the color of the gel.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59866 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.