Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59863
View in linear mode

Subject: "D7000/SB-700 Commander Not Working In Manual Mode" Previous topic | Next topic
richlewt Registered since 24th Oct 2012Tue 20-Nov-12 04:27 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"D7000/SB-700 Commander Not Working In Manual Mode"

GB

Hi
I thought I would just experiment with using my SB-700 off camera and it appears I may have a fault.
I mounted a flash meter on a stand to measure light. The SB-700 has been set to Remote, Group A, Channel 1 with the sensor pointing at the camera.
The camera has been set to Commander Mode, Built In Flash - -, Group A Manual, Comp 1/1. Camera in Manual Mode, 125th @ f4 with pop-up flash deployed.
Flash to meter distance 1.5 metres.
The pre-flash from the camera fires and I get a reading of 125th @ f0.8 ?
I try varying the Comp output on the commander but the output will not change. I shift the flash to manual mode and fire the test button and I get 125th @ f14.2. Manually changing the flash output works perfectly.
Am I doing something wrong?

Cheers
Rich

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: D7000/SB-700 Commander Not Working In Manual Mode
richlewt
21st Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
21st Nov 2012
richlewt
21st Nov 2012
gbowen Gold Member
21st Nov 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
21st Nov 2012
richlewt
21st Nov 2012

richlewt Registered since 24th Oct 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 11:14 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: D7000/SB-700 Commander Not Working In Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

GB

I guess its a trip back to the shop where I bought it then?

Cheers
Rich

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 03:02 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: D7000/SB-700 Commander Not Working In Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 21-Nov-12 03:12 PM by gbowen

Canton, US

I'll take a stab at this. So just to clarify things, is the SB-700 firing or not? I set my D7000 and SB-700 to the same settings and it fires just fine. I don't have a handheld light meter as yet, so I cannot duplicate that part of the test.

EDIT: Even with the onboard flash set to "--" it will still fire at reduced output, hence why you should use the slip on IR panel that sits on your hot shoe which Nikon sells. I forget the part number. Me I am going with an SU-800, which arrives this week. So, since you set the onboard flash to not fire, there is no comp setting for it.

George

richlewt Registered since 24th Oct 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 03:10 PM
#3. "RE: D7000/SB-700 Commander Not Working In Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Hi
Yes it appears to fire ok until you meter it and find it isnt even putting out 1/128th power.

Cheers
Rich

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Wed 21-Nov-12 03:14 PM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: D7000/SB-700 Commander Not Working In Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 3

Canton, US

Hmm, well since I do not have a handheld meter, it is beyond me. Have you tried other modes, like TTL and metered it?

George

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 21-Nov-12 03:13 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: D7000/SB-700 Commander Not Working In Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Unless you flash meter can adjust for the pre-flashes used to compute the power setting of the remote unit and set the computed power level of the remote unit, you will not get an accurate measurement. Triggering the camera will run the full pre-flash sequence and the trigger flash on the camera and the exposure flash of the remote.

You could try using the FV lock to lock in the results of the pre-flashes in the remote and then try triggering the camera for the flash meter. This would result in only the trigger flash from the camera and the exposure flash of the remote. Just like manually setting the remote unit in the SU-4 mode, trigger flash and exposure flash.

AWS, Advance Wireless System, in Nikon CLS Speedlights use visible light at low power levels to communicate to the remote units. To see a full discussion of this look at the post "New CLS Preflash Sequence Images".

You can eliminate the visible pre-flashes by using the SG-3IR Pop-up flash filter. This might change your results.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

richlewt Registered since 24th Oct 2012Wed 21-Nov-12 04:56 PM
#6. "RE: D7000/SB-700 Commander Not Working In Manual Mode"
In response to Reply # 4

GB

>You can eliminate the visible pre-flashes by using the SG-3IR
>Pop-up flash filter. This might change your results.
>
Hi George
You were spot on with your analysis. It was metering the pre-flash. I got 2 layers of tissue paper and fixed it over the pop-up flash. Then ran through from 1/1 to 1/128 power and the meter is now giving me correct readings. I shall now have to invest in the SG-31R to replace my tissue paper
Many thanks for your help, I was losing faith in my my flashgun.

Cheers
Rich

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59863 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.