Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59852
View in linear mode

Subject: "Will I fry my flash?????" Previous topic | Next topic
dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Mon 19-Nov-12 11:43 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Will I fry my flash?????"

San Francisco, US

I have a (cheap) friend at work who has a Canon Rebel something DSLR and a 15-year old Metz flash. It won't work on his Rebel, so he wants me to bring in my Nikon flash so he can see if there is something wrong with his camera. I'm reluctant to do this, as I have no idea about the compatibility between Nikon flash and Canon DSLR's. Is there any risk in this? I have a SB 800 and SB 600.

dgs

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Will I fry my flash?????
gbowen Gold Member
20th Nov 2012
Scotty Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
jherrel Silver Member
20th Nov 2012
dgs2
20th Nov 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
20th Nov 2012
FredB D3 Silver Member
23rd Nov 2012
dgs2
25th Nov 2012

gbowen Gold Member Nikonian since 31st Mar 2011Tue 20-Nov-12 01:10 AM
1111 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Will I fry my flash?????"
In response to Reply # 0

Canton, US

Technically I have no idea. My gut says no however. If it were me, no way would I risk my flashes just because my friend is too cheap to get his camera checked out. That's my humble opinion.

George

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Tue 20-Nov-12 05:02 AM
4816 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Will I fry my flash?????"
In response to Reply # 1

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

I'm with George on this one...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

jherrel Silver Member Nikonian since 08th Apr 2007Tue 20-Nov-12 03:30 PM
664 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Will I fry my flash?????"
In response to Reply # 0

Elgin, US

What doesn't work? Does it fire? Is the exposure off? As you can probably guess, since the Metz is 15 years old, flash exposure capabilities are very different today than 15 years ago. Also, Canon and Nikon technologies are different. However, if he wants to use the Metz as a manual flash that is probably possible. Tell him to contact Metz.

John Herrel
Nikonian from South Carolina
See the light, capture the essence!

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Tue 20-Nov-12 04:17 PM
710 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Will I fry my flash?????"
In response to Reply # 3

San Francisco, US

Thanks guys! Yes his flash won't fire and he wants to know if it's the flash or his camera. Since the camera is only two years old, I suspect it's the flash.

dgs

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberTue 20-Nov-12 04:55 PM
8047 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Will I fry my flash?????"
In response to Reply # 4

Powder Springs, US

Just politely advise him that trying your flash might damage HIS camera, not to mention your flash. Hopefully he will be reluctant to try it then and not think of you as being unreasonable.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

FredB D3 Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Jun 2008Fri 23-Nov-12 01:51 PM
845 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Will I fry my flash?????"
In response to Reply # 0

Potomac, US

Surely...there is a brick-and-mortar camera store in the SF area your friend could take his camera/flash to for a quick test.

Fred
Maryland, USA

dgs2 Registered since 30th Sep 2004Sun 25-Nov-12 05:00 AM
#7. "RE: Will I fry my flash?????"
In response to Reply # 6

San Francisco, US

Thanks Fred,
Yes, not only in the Bay Area, but about two block from our office. That is exactly what I told him to do.

dgs

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59852 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.