Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59851
View in linear mode

Subject: "The sensor chips on the gels for SB900 and SB910 strobe..." Previous topic | Next topic
M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Mon 19-Nov-12 11:41 PM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"The sensor chips on the gels for SB900 and SB910 strobes"

Jackson, US

The SB900s and the old style colored gels and the SB900 units have two of the new hard plastic gels. Both kinds have the little smart chips on them that let the strobe know what kind of gel is mounted and apparently that information is passed back through to the camera. At least in Auto White Balance, I understand the camera will be making compensations for the filters.

Is that a good thing? Normally, I shoot in Manual White balance so I control what is going on. Will Manual bypass the adjustments that might have been made automatically from the chip data?

I watched some Joe McNally tutorial videos about the SB900 on Kelby Training. He explained the chips, but never clearly indicated whether he liked the feature. Seemed like he was holding back some comments.

Do the people here use this feature or tape over the chips?

Thanks in advance,

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

Blog: www.bestofthetetons.com
Web Site: www.tetonimages.com

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Tue 20-Nov-12 02:19 AM
683 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: The sensor chips on the gels for SB900 and SB910 strobes"
In response to Reply # 0

Jackson, US

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/gxd83lm4/joe-mcnally-and-the-new-sb-910-af-speedlight.html#@/en/Learn-And-Explore/Article/g588oujl/flash-points-the-control-of-light.html

I found this page on Nikon's site that helped explain this feature.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

M_Jackson Silver Member Nikonian since 29th Oct 2005Wed 21-Nov-12 04:05 AM
#2. "RE: The sensor chips on the gels for SB900 and SB910 strobes"
In response to Reply # 1

Jackson, US

Looks like the sensors are only affecting the exposure when the strobe is actually on the hot shoe and not in some sort of remote mode.

M. Jackson
Jackson Hole, WY

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 21-Nov-12 08:58 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: The sensor chips on the gels for SB900 and SB910 strobes"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 21-Nov-12 09:08 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

The control tags on the gels are not electrical chips, just a decal or ink spot that blocks the light to a sensor. These sensors generate a binary coded value that identifies the filter. And this only applies to the on camera flash. There is a pinned post about the CLS Pre-flash sequence and the SB-900/910 did not change this part of the CLS system. There was a post that decoded the markers.

"Homemade filters for SB-900" discusses how to code your own filters.

I do not think one would want the remotes to control the white balance as the remotes are more about highlighting can not being the main exposure of the image. Also by not having the remote controlling the camera one has more artistic control over the lighting. You can have splashes of color on the background or as a highlight.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59851 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.