Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59847
View in linear mode

Subject: "Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20" Previous topic | Next topic
gddenes Registered since 26th Oct 2012Mon 19-Nov-12 07:15 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20"

US

Hi,
I'm trying to figure out how to achieve subtle fill flash with this combination outdoors. What would be the best procedure to get a specific flash compensation (-1.7 or whatever)? Can I do this using TTL flash?

Thanks!
gddenes

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Mon 19-Nov-12 08:49 PM
5828 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20"
In response to Reply # 0

US

It's been a while for me, but IIRC it's pretty effortless. The FE2 is capable of TTL, one of the reasons it was the last film camera to leave my kit. I did check the SB-20 features and it is a TTL strobe so I think you can just put the SB-20 on the hot shoe, set to TTL.

For short distances, I typically set my TTL daylight fill to -1.5EV. However, for the SB-20, the low-res photos I found were not sufficient for me to locate a exposure compensation setting on the unit itself, so you might have to fool it by setting one EV higher ISO setting on the strobe.

In my film days, I kept a careful log of exposures and tried different settings at the beginning of each roll of film and then evaluated them over time.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

gddenes Registered since 26th Oct 2012Mon 19-Nov-12 10:05 PM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20"
In response to Reply # 1

US

My impression is that the ISO index on the flash doesn't change any setting but is there to calculate shooting range. Can I accomplish what you're describing with the ISO index and/or the exposure compensation dial on the camera?

Drbee Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Aug 2004Mon 19-Nov-12 10:36 PM
5828 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Fill flash with FE2 and SB-20"
In response to Reply # 2
Mon 19-Nov-12 10:36 PM by Drbee

US

The ISO index on the camera changes the overall exposure including "re-rating" the film. That control alone won't accomplish what you are trying to do which is down rate the strobe for fill.

However, the SB-20 also has a "A" exposure system that meters the flash exposure from the reflected light from the scene (does not use TTL, but a separate sensor in the strobe unit). I don't understand how it could give an accurate exposure if the strobe-unit itself doesn't know about the ISO setting you've chosen for the film (e.g. what you've set on the camera). I believe you have to match the camera setting to the strobe setting using these control to get an accurate exposure.

Anyone else care to shed some light on this?

I actually think you could test this by setting the strobe to "A", choosing different ISO settings on the strobe and then using the open-flash button to trigger the strobe. I think you should be able to see a visible difference in the strobe duration between the minimum and maximum ISO setting.

Roger
It's still, ISO, aperture and shutter-speed, right?

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59847 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.