Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59779
View in linear mode

Subject: "Lightweight lighting solutions" Previous topic | Next topic
Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sat 10-Nov-12 07:34 PM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Lightweight lighting solutions"

US

I want to move more towards portrait and other type photography that would require of camera lights and flashes. I have been asked to take pictures for my sister-in-laws wedding (both couples previously divorced so they were not keen on hiring a pro and do with snapshots). and yes, I understand the pitfalls of wedding photography, but the couple has seen my photos and they actually asked me to shoot, knowing I have never done a wedding.

I have a SB-910 for my D800 and plan to get a flash stand for it.

For me, I have had a few neck surgeries and I have not seen many of the monolights to tell how heavy they are. I want to be able to use external lighting but torn between getting a couple light weight monolights or just buying more speedlights and setting a couple up on an umbrella adapter.

I have plenty of time to decide and get them in, and over thanksgiving have a friends daughters who will be modeling for me to practice ahead of time.

Any suggestions on the benefits of bulky larger flash systems verses multiple speedlights.

I am not convinced on LEDs yet, but open to ideas. I have considered the Flashpoint system and if I do find I need more I could just buy a roller case to make it easier when I need to use them.

Hopefully I have given enough info to get ideas.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Lightweight lighting solutions
mklass Platinum Member
10th Nov 2012
Magnum164 Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member
11th Nov 2012
Magnum164 Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
mel_klim Silver Member
13th Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member
13th Nov 2012
hujiie Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
Magnum164 Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
ctadin Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
Magnum164 Silver Member
12th Nov 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 10-Nov-12 09:51 PM
6057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

You can do quite a bit with speedlights, stands, umbrellas and other modifiers. For portability and light weight, they can't be beat.

If you are planning to be in a studio setting, strobes of some sort are more versatile and useful. But taking those on the road means you need to be sure of your power source or have a fairly hefty and heavy battery.

I'd start with a speedlight based system. The lightstands and umbrellas (and maybe some modifiers) will still be usable if you later go to studio strobes.

You also need to think about how you will control the lights. With speedlights, you can use teh Nikon CLS system very effectively indoors, and in some situations outdoors. Your D800 has teh commander mode built in so you ready to go. WIth studio lights or in many outdoor situations, you will need either cables or a radio control system. This is another expense to keep in mind.

By the way, I have both. I use speedlights for a lot of portable work, and have a good Alien Bee set-up with Cyber Commanders and a batery pack for studio work or for bigger jobs.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sun 11-Nov-12 12:18 AM
106 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Mick,

Thanks for the feedback. I should have mentioned for control I already do have Pocket Wizard III's electing to go manual with the flashes as opposed to TTL. I find I can control the light better, when I try to use TTL everything is over exposed anyway.

I think for now I will agree with you and look at a speedlight based system as I do prefer natural light, and just add flash when needed or in this case for portrait work.

If you don't mind me asking what system you use for your speedlights? I have looked at the Strobies by Interfit and at first glance seems cheap and rugged enough to withstand what I would need and I could splurge on that 50mm prime lens I have had my eye o

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 11-Nov-12 02:07 AM
6057 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 3
Sun 11-Nov-12 11:09 PM by mklass

Tacoma, US

I have a mix of things:

Honl attachments - very versatile, easy to pack, effective
A Gary Fong Collapsible Lightsphere with a few accessories - great for wedding and event photography
Lumiquest Softbox type diffusers, great for portable portrait photography
Flashpoint Q accessories, to play with in a studio setting.

I have 2 Sb 900s, an SB700 abd the R1C1 system with a 3rd SB200. The SU-800 is worth it's weight in gold.

Mick
or

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sun 11-Nov-12 02:53 AM
#5. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Thanks for the info. I have a Gary Fong puffer and completely forgot his other products and using them for weddings. Thanks for getting me started...

mel_klim Silver Member Charter MemberTue 13-Nov-12 02:17 PM
786 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 4

Los Angeles, US

I also use GF for on camera flash. Does this also work well off- camera and to one's side for shadow effect?

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Tue 13-Nov-12 02:44 PM
#11. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 10

Tacoma, US

Depending on how much you are using it to bounce instead of direct. You can get shadows with the lightsphere.

Mick
or

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Sun 11-Nov-12 01:30 PM
556 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I agree with Mick and Gary Fong Collapsible Lightsphere is a big plus..
My wedding is always fast pace and I primarily use on camera SB900 with Gary Fong Collapsible Lightsphere. Many times no time to set additional lighting settings.

If you bring light stand / umbrella system to on-site, for a portability, you can take strobist approach to get Manfrotto 5001B 6' Retractable 5 Section Lightstand and shooting through umbrellas (42"). This light stand will fold to be short and easy to carry but you need to put extra attention because it is not stable as regular stand.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Sun 11-Nov-12 10:33 PM
#7. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Thanks hujiie.. I have Gary Fong items in route and I elected to go with the flashpoint stand since I could get two for the cost of one Manfrotto, although all my tripods are Manfrotto:)

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Sun 11-Nov-12 11:36 PM
992 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 7

St Louis, US

Can your budget afford another flash? If not, how about renting one? And, also I would bring along an extra camera body which can also be rented.

Cheryl

Magnum164 Silver Member Nikonian since 01st Jun 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 12:10 AM
#9. "RE: Lightweight lighting solutions"
In response to Reply # 8

US

Yes I have two flashes SB-910 and a Sigma 610DG which I don't like that much since I can't adjust the power much but can still be used. I will probably by another speedlight but probably not a SB-910, since I am not using TTL I just need something that can direct a burst of light at my subject There are good cheap flashes out there that even when adding the cost of a PW III is still cheaper than a SB-910.

I have a D7000 for a backup, very good camera for the money even though it is DX while the D800 is FX. I generally keep my 70-200 on the D7000 since it is not as picky as the D800, and use the D7000 as my backup/2nd camera.

This has actually been good as I am finding using speedlights may be something I would prefer/use more than the larger lights.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59779 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.