Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59763
View in linear mode

Subject: "IMPORTANT INFO for Nissin flash users" Previous topic | Next topic
Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 11:07 AM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"IMPORTANT INFO for Nissin flash users"

GB

Guys I have placed a link here http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=21871&mesg_id=21871&page=

To a thread about a suspected issue with the Nissin speedlight.

I have just received my Nikon SB700 and guess what !!!
IT DOES EXACTLY THE SAME THING.

This can only mean that the Nissin does NOT have an issue arising from it being a third party flash unit.
So IGNORE anything you read that says otherwise.

I have spent a fair bit on my Nikon flash thinking I dont want compatability issues with my camera, and I wish someone with a Nikon speedlight had picked up on my thread and warned me that the Nikon is the same but alas it was missed.

Any how the Nikon unit is the real deal, but I would say that now I have spent hard earned cash on it. If you want a just as good to use flash for half the money then deffo go for the Nissin unit, cus there aint anything wrong with it.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberSat 10-Nov-12 02:36 AM
5998 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: IMPORTANT INFO for Nissin flash users"
In response to Reply # 0
Sat 10-Nov-12 12:29 PM by Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Guys I have placed a link here
>http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=329&topic_id=21871&mesg_id=21871&page=
>
>To a thread about a suspected issue with the Nissin
>speedlight.
>
>I have just received my Nikon SB700 and guess what !!!
>IT DOES EXACTLY THE SAME THING.
>
>This can only mean that the Nissin does NOT have an issue
>arising from it being a third party flash unit.
>So IGNORE anything you read that says otherwise.
>
>I have spent a fair bit on my Nikon flash thinking I dont want
>compatability issues with my camera, and I wish someone with a
>Nikon speedlight had picked up on my thread and warned me that
>the Nikon is the same but alas it was missed.
>
>Any how the Nikon unit is the real deal, but I would say that
>now I have spent hard earned cash on it. If you want a just as
>good to use flash for half the money then deffo go for the
>Nissin unit, cus there aint anything wrong with it.

The Nissin flash is considerably inferior to the SB700.

- The Nissin does not have the Nikon iTTL-BL mode. This is a huge issue!

- The Nissin TTL mode is not as accurate as the SB700. It is especially poor when bouncing the flash.

- The zoom feature does not recognize DX cameras like the SB700 does. The size of the zoom coverage is based on full frame cameras (same as older Nikon speedlights like the SB600 and SB800).

- In the wireless mode, the Nissin can only be used in Group A.

There are lots of other things that are missing or don't work as well on the Nissin as on the SB700, but the ones above are probably the most important.

When you buy a speedlight, you get what you pay for. There are no bargain speedlights that will outperform the Nikon brand.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Vsteelrider Registered since 13th Oct 2012Sun 11-Nov-12 09:05 PM
22 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: IMPORTANT INFO for Nissin flash users"
In response to Reply # 1

GB

Thanks for that Russ.

You have made me feel a whole lot better about going the extra mile and opting for Nikons own.

And many thanks for the comprehensive reasoning as to why the Nikon unit is the better choice.

The original observation with regards to the top control screen on the camera, having the led light activated with flash connected to the hotshoe was my main reason for comment.
I really do want to make Guys aware of the fact that this is not a Nissin third party compatability issue.

As said the same thing happens with nikons SB700, so this must be a normal operating function.

You do get what you pay for though, and having my time over again I would not have bothered with the Nissin.
The extra functions,features, performance and build quality of the Nikon unit is very evident, and well worth digging that bit deeper into ones pocket.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59763 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.