Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59741
View in linear mode

Subject: "Using d700 as commander with 2 sb-600's" Previous topic | Next topic
Rjasimmons Registered since 28th Oct 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 01:52 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Using d700 as commander with 2 sb-600's"

GB

Hi

I am fairly new to the creative lighting system and have figured out how to set my sb-600's to slave mode and the d700 as a commander with the built in flash but I am having an issue that probably easily solved but my brain is frazzled...

I want to use one sb600 in my lastolite ezybox and one as a fill light elsewhere. I want to use the strobes in manual mode but can't figure out how to adjust the power output on the individual units without changing the power of the whole system. Have I just been stupid and left it on TTL?

I will be using this for weddings in mostly low light situations... With gels occasionally too

Thanks for your infinite patience guys!

Rich

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Using d700 as commander with 2 sb-600's
Scotty Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
09th Nov 2012
Rjasimmons
09th Nov 2012
Scotty Silver Member
09th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
13th Nov 2012
HBB Moderator
14th Nov 2012

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 09-Nov-12 02:36 PM
4820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Using d700 as commander with 2 sb-600's"
In response to Reply # 0
Fri 09-Nov-12 02:37 PM by Scotty

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

Set the SB600s to different groups on the speedlights themselves - group a and group b. Set them to manual on the D700.

Then on the d700 you should be able to set their outputs to different levels. As long as they are both set the same channel they will both fire; the different groups will fire at whatever output rates you set them to... At least that is how I do it on my D200...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Fri 09-Nov-12 03:01 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Using d700 as commander with 2 sb-600's"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

First you need to realize that AWS, Advance Wireless System, with Nikon's CLS Speedlights and cameras use IR, Infrared, light communication between the Master/Commander and Remotes. This light can be reflected or blocked. Reflected IR is not always a problem but blocking of the IR light will prevent control of the remote units.

Using a box or umbrella is more subject to blockage of light form your camera's pop-up light. Only experimentation will determine if this is a problem.

To change the power on remote Speedlights one can only change the power level of the group of Speedlights. To control 2 different Speedlights power level requires each Speedlight to be in a different Group. You then set the power for the Group through the camera's Flash control menu using the "Comp" field.

Fast Track to Wireless Speedlights see page 7.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Rjasimmons Registered since 28th Oct 2012Fri 09-Nov-12 04:38 PM
9 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Using d700 as commander with 2 sb-600's"
In response to Reply # 2

GB

Hi, thanks for the info so far, I understand the infra-red could be an issue until I can afford the radio transmitters. But I think I can get around this.... With the placement of my lighting etc.

I didn't realise the two speed lights need to be set to two different groups which allows you to then set the exposure compensation, that's great to know. I wish there was an easier way to dial it in though... can't have it all I guess.

I have been trying to find this info out for a little while, should have come here first as always!

Thank you very much!

Rich

Scotty Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Feb 2002Fri 09-Nov-12 05:01 PM
4820 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Using d700 as commander with 2 sb-600's"
In response to Reply # 3

Ely, Cambridgeshire, GB

I use 2 SB600s all the time with my D200 acting as the commander - it is a pain at first but if you keep at it, it becomes second nature and quick...

D2Xs + AF20-35mm f2.8 + AF35-70mm f2.8 + AF80-200mm f2.8

or

FE + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AIS

Hunger pays a heavy price to the shining Gods of speed and steel

Check out my website...
http://alexjpscott.wix.com/photography

LIKE me on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography

Follow my blog...

http://alexjpscottphotography.blogspot.co.uk/

Look me up on Flickr...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/alex_jp_scott/

Alex

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 13-Nov-12 01:57 AM
25885 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Using d700 as commander with 2 sb-600's"
In response to Reply # 3

US

Hi Rich,

>I didn't realise the two speed lights need to be set to two
>different groups which allows you to then set the exposure
>compensation, that's great to know.

While setting each remote Speedlight to a seporate group gives you more control over the lighting, the remote Speedlights do not have to be set in different groups. You can set any number of Speedlights to each of the two or three remote groups depending on the Master Speedlight that you are using.

>I wish there was an easier
>way to dial it in though... can't have it all I guess.

One you get used to changing the settings, it will be much easier.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberWed 14-Nov-12 12:58 AM
8462 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Using d700 as commander with 2 sb-600's"
In response to Reply # 3

Phoenix, US

Rich:

My apologies to all, I am repeating some of what has already been posted.

In my experience, all speedlights configured within a given remote group will fire at the power level/exposure compensation specified in the Commander Mode using the popup speedlight, or in an on-camera Master SB700/800/900/910 speedlight.

If you want different power level/exposure compensation for each of the two remote SB600s, they must be in different groups.

In Manual Mode, you can specify the exact power level desired for each remote group: M1/1, M1/2, M1/4 etc. All remote speedlights in each group will fire at this level.

In TTL Mode, you can specify the exposure compensation desired for each remote group + 3.0 to - 3.0. All remote speedlights in each group will fire at this exposure compensation level.

Nikon suggests no more than three speedlights in any remote group. I have successfully conducted night shoots with several more than that, but it takes careful placement of the remote speedlights relative to the on-camera Master/Commander.

As George mentioned, the Infrared (IR) CLS preflash signalling does not necessarily require line of sight alignment between the remote speedlights and the on-camera Master/Commander. In small to medium size rooms, the longer wavelength IR signals will bounce off floors, walls, and ceilings and find their way to the remotes. In very large rooms and outdoors, or outdoors, line of sight is more critical. I have had remote speedlights in large umbrellas fire around corners in separate rooms when doing interior photography. As George also mentioned, you will have to experiment.

Configuring remote speedlights in Commander Mode is a bit tedious. It gets easier when working with an on-camera speedlight in Master Mode.

Hope this helps a bit.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59741 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.