Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59728
View in linear mode

Subject: "question about flash gels" Previous topic | Next topic
pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Thu 08-Nov-12 01:38 PM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"question about flash gels"

US

Hi everyone, what is the trick to using flash gels? Here's my setup.
I am trying to change the background for some of my waterdrop shots.
So I have a white piece of foam board set up behind my waterdish for of water.
I have my gel mounted over my sb700 positioned about 7inches in front of the white piece of board.
I then have my 600 flash pointed in the middle of my dish where my waterdrop will be falling.
I have tried several different flash settings and still can't get the gel to light on the white board. I need to have my flash on the 600 pointed at the dish to at least 1/16 and I have tried to set my flash on the 700 pointed at the board as high as 1/8 and I still am getting just white. I have moved my 700 closer to the board, further from the board with no luck. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. In fact, I am going to run out to the kitchen and take a picture of my setup, that might help to explain it better....

Darlene

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: question about flash gels
elec164 Silver Member
08th Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
08th Nov 2012
Arkayem Moderator
08th Nov 2012
pasknucklehead Silver Member
09th Nov 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Thu 08-Nov-12 06:32 PM
1988 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"RE: question about flash gels"

US

It appears the gel color from theSB700 (top of the board) is being overpowered from the spill of the SB600(bottom of board,especially on image left).

Try and make a GOBO or snoot that would prevent the spill from the SB600.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 08-Nov-12 08:41 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: question about flash gels"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>Try and make a GOBO or snoot that would prevent the spill from
>the SB600.

I agree with the snoot idea. Here's a link to Honl snoot that I use for this sort of thing. It can also be used as a reflector to get the effective flash location high above the camera with nice softening if there is a ceiling bounce.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601262-REG/Honl_Photo_HONL_SNOOT8_8_Speed_Snoot_Reflector_for.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberThu 08-Nov-12 08:43 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: question about flash gels"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>>Try and make a GOBO or snoot that would prevent the spill
>from
>>the SB600.
>
>I agree with the snoot idea. Here's a link to Honl snoot that
>I use for this sort of thing. It can also be used as a
>reflector to get the effective flash location high above the
>camera with nice softening if there is a ceiling bounce.
>
>http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/601262-REG/Honl_Photo_HONL_SNOOT8_8_Speed_Snoot_Reflector_for.html/BI/4775/KBID/5289/

Also, it looks like you may be using the pull-out wide angle adaptor. Don't use that. Instead zoom the flash to its maximum and point it slightly away from the background, but not into the lens or you will get flare.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

pasknucklehead Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Feb 2008Fri 09-Nov-12 12:51 AM
1408 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: question about flash gels"
In response to Reply # 3
Fri 09-Nov-12 12:56 AM by pasknucklehead

US

Hey thanks, that makes perfect sense. Back to work.....just looked the snoot up and I see it will work on the sb400, 600, and 800, what about the 700?

Darlene

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59728 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.