Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59717
View in linear mode

Subject: "Rechargable Batteries in SB800?" Previous topic | Next topic
joburger Registered since 06th Nov 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 05:35 AM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"

AU

Hi Guys, I've put myself up for a number of weddings this season and I was wondering if I should use rechargable batteries over standards for reasons of economy. I'm carrying two SB 800's and will be shooting for 6 hours. Any thoughts?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?
elec164 Silver Member
07th Nov 2012
barrywesthead Silver Member
07th Nov 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
07th Nov 2012
photoravi Silver Member
07th Nov 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
07th Nov 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
07th Nov 2012
rjo Silver Member
11th Nov 2012
dclarhorn Moderator
12th Nov 2012
joburger
12th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
13th Nov 2012
DavidN4 Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
jrp Administrator
13th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
13th Nov 2012

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Wed 07-Nov-12 12:44 PM
1973 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Welcome to Nikonians Chris.

I have tried numerous rechargeable systems over the years with varied success.

After reading the praise and recommendations here in this forum, I took the plunge and ordered Sanyo Eneloop batteries and 2 MAHA chargers.

The only regret I have is that I didn't buy them sooner.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

barrywesthead Silver Member Awareded for his continued support of the Nikonians community, freely sharing his expertise, particularly in the areas of digital post processing and printing. Nikonian since 07th Nov 2006Wed 07-Nov-12 01:09 PM
1254 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 1

Kleinburg, CA

Another major benefit of using rechargeables is their lower internal resistance. They run cooler and recycle the flash faster.

Barry
http://art2printimages.com

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Wed 07-Nov-12 02:50 PM
524 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 2

Hamilton, CA

Hi Chris.
I believe the rechargables are better.
I have a set of four ANS-MANN for my SB910 and no issues.
But, I have had them less than a year and they are not used much.
There seems to be a lot of information on the web about this.
Among others, this link looks good.

http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=rechargeable%20batteries%20review&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CEEQFjAC&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.metaefficient.com%2Frechargeable-batteries%2Fbest-rechargeable-batteries-battery-chargers.html&ei=-X-aUPTXM-n42QX6qIDoCw&usg=AFQjCNHDGI0Nv53BrQNw3e8mRohK9lSp9Q

Hope this helps.

Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

photoravi Silver Member Nikonian since 24th Sep 2012Wed 07-Nov-12 03:08 PM
6 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Frankfurt, DE

I am using long time Sanyo eneloop AA HR6 (white ones, there are black one out, more power, less re-chrarging times, more expensive, wont use & wont recommend) for my SB800. They last long, very long. Even if I dont use my flash (I use it rarely) for a long time (weeks, even months) it looks like they are all time full. Nothing else. I believe they are the best.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 07-Nov-12 11:41 PM
8055 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 4

Powder Springs, US

Welcome to Nikonians Avi!

You are right about using the lower, 2000 mAhr, batteries. They last long enough, can be recharged three times as many times, and cost less to boot.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 07-Nov-12 04:00 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Lion rechargeable batteries will produce a higher output voltage for a longer time than Alkaline batteries, energy density, but initially their output voltage could be lower than Alkaline batteries. Lion batteries keep a charge longer during storage, low internal resistance. When the Lion batteries run down the voltage drop is faster than Alkaline. The Lion batteries do not last as long a the Alkaline batteries and they require a special charger.

If you can afford it, I would look at the external power pack for the SB-800. With this pack you keep 4 batteries in the Speedlight to power the control circuits and the power pack will recharge the strobe light circuitry and provide a larger cache of power.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

rjo Silver Member Nikonian since 05th Apr 2008Sun 11-Nov-12 02:43 PM
68 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Atlanta, US

I've been using some Power2000 NiMh batteries from Adorama for about three years in my SB800. I have about four sets, and they give pretty good performance and life. At a six hour wedding last night, I only had to change out once, though I do have the extra battery add-on so it recycles a bit faster.

I saw the suggestion on the battery pack and am going to look into that.

RJO

Nikon nut since 1968.

dclarhorn Moderator In depth knowledge and high level skills in a variety of areas including landscape Nikonian since 31st Mar 2002Mon 12-Nov-12 03:27 PM
14234 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#8. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Berwyn Heights, US

I still use my trusty SB-800s for events and weddings. I switched to Sanyo Eneloops this year and they work great.

Dan L.
http://www.danlarussophotography.com/

joburger Registered since 06th Nov 2012Mon 12-Nov-12 07:27 PM
12 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#9. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 8

AU

Thanks guys, looks like I'll be ordering the re-chargables. BTW I have just got my kit together for shooting weddings. One D3X with a 24-70 f2.8 and a D700 with a 70-200 f2.8 both with SB 800 speedlights.
Both held by a Black Rapid double harness.

Cheers and thanks again for the information.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 13-Nov-12 01:30 AM
25674 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 9

US

Hi Chris,

Welcome to Nikonians!
Get a MAHA CH-9000 Smart Charger to keep your new Sanyo Eneloop batteries working at peak performance long into the future.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

DavidN4 Silver Member Nikonian since 09th Nov 2011Mon 12-Nov-12 09:00 PM
265 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Johns Creek, US

Use an SB-8A with Eneloops with your SB800s. I have that setup and it works extremely well. I can shoot all day without worrying about power at all.

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 13-Nov-12 06:58 AM
34294 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 0

San Pedro Garza García, MX

Another vote for Eneloops.
Thanks to my partner Bo, who gifted me with a couple of 4-packs, I switched to them for all my speedlights now.
(I have three SB-800 with 5th battery and one SB-900).
No more worries.
As it has been mentioned, a MAHA charger is a must to keep them fresh and up to max charge, ready for long action.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 13-Nov-12 08:21 AM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#13. "RE: Rechargable Batteries in SB800?"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I have Maha Immedions, low discharge NiMH - I think they are the same as the Eneloops. I get them from the same folks that have the C-9000 charger. I've been using them for at least 5 years now. The lower internal resistance is useful and they hold charge for what seems like forever. By now I have lost track of just how many I have, but certainly there are four in each of my six flash units, some AAAs are in my remotes, head lamp, and some other stuff, and they've now crept into all of my wireless keyboards, track pads, mice and the like. I probably have close to 50 of them now.

The new ones are 2400mah and should yield around 240 frames per set if you shoot at full power, maybe a bit more on an SB-800.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59717 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.