Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59712
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB 900 and bounce flash" Previous topic | Next topic
RayJay Registered since 04th Nov 2012Sun 04-Nov-12 09:00 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB 900 and bounce flash"

US

I have an SB 900 and a D7000 and my flash pictures started out pretty good but recently my bounce flash picture have been exposed pretty inconsistently. When I reread the SB 900 manual on page D-27 I noticed it says the camera must be in A or M modes and I had started using S mode. Sure enough that seems to have been my problem but I was wondering if anyone had any ideas why the S mode is a problem. I'm just trying to understand a little bit more how everything works and was curious about this.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

elec164 Silver Member Nikonian since 15th Jan 2009Mon 05-Nov-12 03:38 AM
2127 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB 900 and bounce flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

>ideas why the S mode is a problem.

Because in S mode the camera controls the aperture.

Exposure for flash photography is affected by aperture, subject distance, flash power and ISO. So when using bounce flash your flash could easily be at full output (or close to it) and a small change in aperture can easily cause exposure issues. Being the camera is choosing the aperture, you might not notice how much it is being stopped down.

Pete

Pete

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Tinkers Realm Registered since 24th Feb 2011Thu 29-Nov-12 01:12 AM
266 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB 900 and bounce flash"
In response to Reply # 1

Pacific Wonderland!, US

Interesting-I did not realize that that-Thanks!

Art is the only way to run away without leaving home.

www.TinkersRealm.com

rbsandor Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2007Fri 07-Dec-12 02:03 AM
1466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB 900 and bounce flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Denver, US

Tinker: further to what Pete has mentioned I'll add a link at the end of this reply. There's a website by a fellow named Neil Van Niekirk who is a wedding photographer. His free site will explain the use of a single flash either on or off camera. His approach while using flash is to make it look like was flash wasn't used. He also has a couple of books which are worth the price. Here's the link http://neilvn.com/tangents/ Richard

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberFri 07-Dec-12 03:44 PM
6019 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB 900 and bounce flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I have an SB 900 and a D7000 and my flash pictures started
>out pretty good but recently my bounce flash picture have been
>exposed pretty inconsistently. When I reread the SB 900 manual
>on page D-27 I noticed it says the camera must be in A or M
>modes and I had started using S mode. Sure enough that seems
>to have been my problem but I was wondering if anyone had any
>ideas why the S mode is a problem. I'm just trying to
>understand a little bit more how everything works and was
>curious about this.

Another thing to watch out for when shooting indoors is to make sure you are using regular TTL and NOT TTL-BL. TTL-BL is for balancing the flash with bright ambient conditions. Regular TTL will fully expose the subject, which is what you want indoors.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59712 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.