Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59706
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon SB-900 Not flashing" Previous topic | Next topic
aaatruck74 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008Sun 04-Nov-12 01:47 AM
226 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon SB-900 Not flashing"

Indianapolis, US

Well, just wondered if anyone had the same problem I do with thier Nikon SB-900 flash. I bump it the other day and now it comes on but won't flash. It does light up and I try to TEST FIRE it and it doesn't do anything. I wonder if I blew the bulb? No one here in my city works on them , so it would have to sent in to Nikon Repair. I have sent my stuff to Merriville NY , but with the weather I called and they are on backup elerrric right now and haven't answered my e-mail. Would like to talk with them before I send it or and something back from you guys. Let me know what you guys think. I always listen on hear. I have had the Nikon SB 900- over 4 yrs now too . Love it. Thank guys for listening and look forward to your reply.

Harold---Indiana-Nikonian

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon SB-900 Not flashing
MEMcD Moderator
04th Nov 2012
aaatruck74 Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
blw Moderator
04th Nov 2012
aaatruck74 Silver Member
04th Nov 2012
aaatruck74 Silver Member
06th Nov 2012
aaatruck74 Silver Member
12th Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
13th Nov 2012
aaatruck74 Silver Member
14th Nov 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 04-Nov-12 03:45 AM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon SB-900 Not flashing"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Harold,

Sorry to hear your Speedlight requires repair.
You could send it to one of the Nikon Authorized Repair stations like:

Authorized Photo Service
8125 River Drive, Suite 100
Morton Grove, IL 60053
Phone: 847-966-4091
Fax: 847-966-4101

Midwest
318 Oak St.
Wyandotte, MI 48192
Phone: 734-285-2220
Fax: 734-283-7478

United Camera
1062 Tower Lane
Bensenville, IL 60106
Phone: 630-595-2525
Fax: 630-595-2526

Have you tried fresh batteries and cleaning the electrical contacts?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

aaatruck74 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008Sun 04-Nov-12 08:27 AM
226 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon SB-900 Not flashing"
In response to Reply # 1

Indianapolis, US

Thanks Marty

I will clean the electrical contacts and see if that hekps any. I haven't had any trouble out of it except temp getting HOT and shutting down on me when I first got it. I have learn what to do when I see it getting close to over heating over the last 4 yrs with it. I did need the other places , that I could send it oo. I have always sent my things to Nikon in Merriville NY , but with Sandy there , they are having problems on thier own and repairs are at a stand still for them right now. If that doesn't get it fix , I will send it off to one of the shops you have here for me. Have you had any work done at any of these Marty? Let me know. I love the Merriville NY shop. They always got right back to me pretty quick on what was wrong and LOL how much it would be. Thanks again and look for your reply.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Sun 04-Nov-12 08:30 AM
26761 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: Nikon SB-900 Not flashing"
In response to Reply # 2
Sun 04-Nov-12 08:32 AM by blw

Richmond, US

I use the first place that Marty mentioned as my primary repair option. They are much easier to deal with - and historically anyway, they are a lot quicker than Nikon. (I've dealt with Melville plenty also. I don't send anything to Nikon except warranty work.) APS is very reliable and they do top quality work, as good as Nikon's.

The last one I had was a pretty complex lens (the 135/f2 AF DC) that had been dropped by a previous owner. They got it on Friday morning and I got it back on Monday afternoon. That never has happened with Melville, even for a simpler repair.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

aaatruck74 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008Sun 04-Nov-12 08:46 AM
#4. "RE: Nikon SB-900 Not flashing"
In response to Reply # 3

Indianapolis, US

Thanks Brian
That is what I needed to hear. My flash is lighting up. It is not firing on TEST flash at all either now. It didn't take a hard hit at all. Just bump it. I really thing I blew the bulb, but they will have to check it out and tell me. Thanks for the information & I will call them on Tomorow to chat with them maybe. Love this site for information & help.

aaatruck74 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008Tue 06-Nov-12 09:47 AM
#5. "RE: Nikon SB-900 Not flashing"
In response to Reply # 4

Indianapolis, US

Thanks again Brian
Sending it off today and have talk with them on the phone also. Will let you know what I find out.

aaatruck74 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008Mon 12-Nov-12 02:09 AM
#6. "RE: Nikon SB-900 Not flashing"
In response to Reply # 5

Indianapolis, US

Hay Brian
I did send my SB'900 into the Nikon Shop in Morton ILL and they have already told me what is wrong with it and are fixing it this week. Thank you for all your help and I should maybe have it back by the end of the week. I did blow the bulb also. They are lining some other things out on it , so it was kind of good to send it in after 4 yrs of working it. LOL It has been a great Speedlight for me except for the over heating that I didn't like, but have found the right way to use it & also have a SB-600 for backup >stayby in case LOL. The total cost is good too, so I'm very happy and can't wait to have it back in place here with me. Thans again for all your help and to this Nikon Site too. I would have been lost if not for this site help. Take care.

Harold

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 13-Nov-12 01:17 AM
26192 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Nikon SB-900 Not flashing"
In response to Reply # 6

US

Hi Harold,

Glad to hear APS is getting your SB-900 squared away.
They do excellent work and are usually have a much shorter turn around time than Nikon Service.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

aaatruck74 Silver Member Nikonian since 02nd Aug 2008Wed 14-Nov-12 01:31 AM
#8. "RE: Nikon SB-900 Not flashing"
In response to Reply # 7

Indianapolis, US

Hello Marty
You are RIGHT I just received my Nikon SB-900 Speedlight flash back today from APS and I'm very happy with what they did on my work. It is working just like a new one again. Not sure what all they did, but they reline the zoom lens and some other things including the bulb I blew by bumping it. But is back home now and ready to use. I have already been working it in the house. LOL
Thanks everyone for the input about APS Shop. Will tell my buddies too about them and I 'm thankful for this website too.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59706 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.