Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59697
View in linear mode

Subject: "flash for D600" Previous topic | Next topic
MsTakin Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2012Sat 03-Nov-12 01:38 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"flash for D600"

Long Beach, US

I just got a D600 (wow) with 28-300 lens and realize I need to upgrade from my SB400 flash (used with D90 about 5-6 times). I and have two sellers on the line today. One has an SB700 and the other an SB900.
I've heard all the nightmares about the SB900's overheating problems - and it's really quite large. I don't want to put more on my back than I need to... I'm 4'10" and about 95 lbs.
Suggestions?

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: flash for D600
jckingca Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
MsTakin Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
03rd Nov 2012
MsTakin Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
MEMcD Moderator
04th Nov 2012
BGD600
08th Nov 2012

jckingca Silver Member Nikonian since 16th Dec 2010Sat 03-Nov-12 03:39 PM
138 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: flash for D600"
In response to Reply # 0

CA

I can't speak for the SB900 but I have the SB700 which I'm happy with. I think Thom Hogan speaks well of the SB700 too. You probably know that you can use it in remote mode with the D600 on camera flash as the commander as long as there is line of sight to the SB700 receiver module. The SB900 probably works as well that way but with higher output power.

-John
http://www.kingphoto.ca

MsTakin Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2012Sat 03-Nov-12 04:15 PM
51 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: flash for D600"
In response to Reply # 1

Long Beach, US

thanks - I'm trending along those lines... just need fill for night drag and sports car racing - and size is important! as is good heat resistance...

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 03-Nov-12 05:20 PM
26189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: flash for D600"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Anne,

The SB-900 doesn't have an overheating problem. The problem is User perception.
Speedlights were never designed to be fired continuously as fast as they can recycle.
Check the owners manual on any Speedlight.
The significantly faster recycling time of the SB-900 combined with a machine gun shooting style can result in themal shut-down. The SB-800 has a recycle time almost twice as long depending on the type of batteries being used.
They can be fired continuously until they melt. I have seen it happen.
The thermal shutdown feature on the SB-900 prevents the flash from being pushed to distruction.

The current SB-910 extends the recycling time as the Speedlight heats up to prevent the thermal shutdown from kicking in.

Both the SB-900 and SB-910 zoom out to 200mm compared to the SB-700's maximum range of 120mm.

It you don't plan on using flash beyond 120mm the SB-700 or even a refurbished or used SB-600 (max. Zoom 85mm) will suite your requirements very well.
More so since you are looking for the smallest and lightest footprint.

If you need the additioan range and power of the SB-900 using common sense goes a long way in preventing thermal shutdown.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MsTakin Silver Member Nikonian since 14th Jul 2012Sat 03-Nov-12 09:08 PM
#4. "RE: flash for D600"
In response to Reply # 3

Long Beach, US

Thanks Marty - I found a barely used SB700 for $275 and grabbed it! Now I have to figure out how to close out this question and remove the topic because it's a done deal!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 04-Nov-12 01:23 AM
26189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: flash for D600"
In response to Reply # 4
Sun 04-Nov-12 01:26 AM by MEMcD

US

Hi Anne,

Congratulations on your new D700.
Enjoy!
Threads never close out. They fade away.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

BGD600 Registered since 19th Sep 2012Thu 08-Nov-12 12:06 PM
312 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: flash for D600"
In response to Reply # 5

GB

I have both the sb600 and the sb800 and both are excellent IMO. Might be worth looking for a second hand one of these if cash is a concern.

If you're not totally tied to Nikon, then you may want to consider either the nissin or yongnuo ranges of flashes. Personally, I do not rate the nissins, but the yongnuo are rather good IMO and feel solidly built.

I picked up a brand new manual only flash for about £50 (for strobist stuff) and IIRC their entry level TTL compatible flash is only £60 - they do of course make higher spec'd models.

HTH

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59697 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.