Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59677
View in linear mode

Subject: "R1C1 which mode with a D700?" Previous topic | Next topic
glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Thu 01-Nov-12 10:02 AM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"R1C1 which mode with a D700?"

South Australia, AU

Hi Guys,
Is commander mode the best option with a D700 when using the R1C1?,
I'm a greenhorn when it comes to modern speed-lights

For most of my active life, Metz 60's have done the job perfectly, used to shoot all manual with no problems, changing from lead acid batteries to gel cell was an innovation and a giant leap in technology

I've adjusted to the digital world with the D700, now for the new fangled speed-light systems
Regards,
Gary

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing.
01st Nov 2012
glxman Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
01st Nov 2012
glxman Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing.
02nd Nov 2012
glxman Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
piniongear
02nd Nov 2012
glxman Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
02nd Nov 2012
glxman Silver Member
02nd Nov 2012
02nd Nov 2012
glxman Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
03rd Nov 2012
covrc Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
glxman Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd Nov 2012
glxman Silver Member
03rd Nov 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
03rd Nov 2012

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Thu 01-Nov-12 01:50 PM
6162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 0

Tacoma, US

Are you asking if you should set the D-700's built-in flash to commander mode? Are you using the SU-800 that's part of the R1C1?

If so, the SU-800 is controlling the remote flashes and the built-in flash is not used at all. How you set the D-700's flash doesn't matter. If you dial in flash compensation on your camera, that will affect the flash output.

If you are still planning on using the built-in flash, perhaps because you want want it to contribute to the lighting, or because you actually have the R1 (no SU-800) then yes, you want commander mode in the D700, and you do not use the SU-800, if you have one.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 02-Nov-12 01:02 AM
3017 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 1

South Australia, AU

Hi Mick,
I have the R1C1 which includes the SU800,
Inside the battery case there is a switch, with two options, close-up or commander mode,
Both options work with a slightly different menu but the SU800 is still triggering the both flashes without the built-in flash open

Operation and adjustments "appear" to be a lot less steps with the switch to the commander

Regards,
Gary

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 01-Nov-12 03:59 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Unless your are using the SU-800 that comes with the R1C1, I would use the SG-3IR over the pop-up flash and the pop-up flash even when set to the "--" power level will have trigger flash once the shutter is opened and that low power trigger flash will appear in close-up images. Using the SG3-IR

George
My Nikonian Galleries

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 02-Nov-12 01:06 AM
#4. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 2

South Australia, AU

Hi George,
The SU800 is included with the R1C1,
Just that there is a switch on the SU800 to either, commander or close-up, in both cases, the speed-lights are still triggered by the the SU800, except, menu's are slightly different
Regards,
Gary

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 01:20 AM
6162 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 4

Tacoma, US

The close up mode is really meant for use when you are using the SB-200s attached to the lens via the ring and lens adapters in the R1C1 kit.. Yes, it has a different menu customized for macro photography.

The Commander mode on the SU-800 is for controlling remote speedlights for other photography. I use it when mounting my SB-900s on stands with umbrellas for portraits, and have used it indoors for weddings. It will control any CLS compatible Speedlight via infrared signals. In this case, the menu is designed for non-Macro photography.

Does that help?

Mick
or

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 02-Nov-12 02:07 AM
#7. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 5

South Australia, AU

Tks Mick,
Starting to get the hang of it now,
Regards,
Gary

piniongear Registered since 29th Jul 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 02:01 AM
466 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 4

Houston Texas, US

When using the SU-800 you can set that switch to either Commander position or Commander Closeup (Macro) position.
Leaving it set at the Commander position is where some users leave it set at.
That setting will serve you well for macro also.

Perhaps the big difference in switch positions is that when set to Commander position, your power adjustment to the remote flash units is made in Exposures Values (E.V.) such as +1.0 EV, +.7 EV, -.3EV etc.

When you change the switch position over to Commander Closeup you will notice that now the light (power) adjustment of the remote flashes is made in lighting ratios, rather than in EV values.

So a ratio of 1:2 tells you that the left side of the subject is receiving only half the light as that on the right side.
1:1 is equal light on both sides etc.
Sometimes we find it easier to adjust the flash output working in terms of ratios rather than EV values. I certainly do at any rate!

So if I am going to shoot a flower close up...... I switch to Commander Closeup position and adjust the flash power (of each lens mounted SB-R200 flash units) using ratios rather than EV. Be it 1:1 or whatever ratio I feel I need to use to get the result I am looking for.
For all other photos I just keep the switch set to Commander position.
Perry

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 02-Nov-12 02:14 AM
#8. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 6

South Australia, AU

Tks Perry,
That makes sense, except for the different menu options, appears you can still get the same result, albeit power adjustment between flashes in close-up

I guess with 3 SB R200's I'm looking at the commander option
Regards,
Gary

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 02:05 PM
#9. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 8

Tacoma, US

You can add control for a 3rd SB-200 in the Macro mode. It's in the set-up menu, I believe (It's been a while since I did it). You don't get the same A-B type contol (A-B-C), but you can control it separately.

Mick
or

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Fri 02-Nov-12 10:25 PM
#10. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 9
Fri 02-Nov-12 10:26 PM by glxman

South Australia, AU

Tks Mick,
In that case I guess you could use the "commander option", that way you would A,B, and C?
Why Nikon have the 2 options, I still don't know?
Maybe it was to cater for all cameras?
Regards,
Gary

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Fri 02-Nov-12 11:12 PM
#11. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 10

Tacoma, US

Yes, in commander mode you can set A-B-C independently adjust, for Mode (TTL, AA, or M) and Exposure (EV adjustment in TTL and AA, power in M)

In Macro mode the flash mode for A&B to TTL or M then you set the ratio for A & B, but C is strictly M where you adjust the Power.

Macro mode is only compatible with the SB-200, but works with both CLS and non-CLS compatible cameras (using a SC-30 TTL cord).

Commander mode is only compatible with CLS cameras, but opens the the possibility of using any Nikon CLS compatible speedlight in TTL, AA, M or RPT mode.

So the 2 menus provide some different functionality when used with compatible equipment. Page 58 of the manual provides a quick summary.

Mick
or

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 03-Nov-12 12:08 AM
#12. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 11
Sat 03-Nov-12 12:11 AM by glxman

South Australia, AU

Thank you Mick,
I guess the "new" terminology what has a caused us old timers to learn slowly,

I have read all pages, (I think?), bit confusing at times when the R1 and R1C1 and SU800 info is spread throughout the book

In page 58, one I did not understand was from this line,

IN COMMANDER MODE
"In commander mode, flash output-level compensation value (in TTL and AA modes)"

What is AA mode?
And when you are using your 3rd SB R200, do you use commander mode?

God help Nikonians when I get an SB700!
Regards,
Gary

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sat 03-Nov-12 03:02 AM
#13. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 12

Tacoma, US

I keep it pretty simple:

-If I'm shooting macro with the SB-200s attached to the lens, I use Macro mode with TTL. I may use 2 or 3 lights depending on the subject. I almost always have AB& in TTL.

For anything else, I use Commander mode and will use TTL or M.

AA is auto aperture.

In commander mode, the flash output-level compensation, is basically letting the flash be set automatically,but telling the system to take that auto setting and adjust it with more or less power. It like using exposure compensation with your camera exposure, only it affects the flash output instead of shutter speed or aperture.

Does that make sense?

Mick
or

covrc Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Mar 2004Sat 03-Nov-12 03:45 AM
365 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#14. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 13

Boston, US

OK, as a new owner of the R1C1 also my question is simple.

Regardless of the mode the SU800 is set in, Does the setting IN THE D700 Menus matter?

IF so how?

Your gonna miss 100% of the shots you never take, so keep shooting.

Visit www.roccosphototavern.com

There's Something For Everybody At Rocco's Photo Tavern.

Performance, Landscape, Portrait, Street, Creative and more.

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 03-Nov-12 04:19 AM
#16. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 14

South Australia, AU

Hi Rocco,
Ive just been shooting with the R1C1 without any adjustments to my D700 at all, albeit, I need to back off the light, a lot more power than I would have thought, especially up close, and even more with extension tubes on the 105, I found the diffusers a help as well

Regards,
Gary

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 03-Nov-12 06:11 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#17. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 14

Chicago, US

No, the SU-800 is control.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

glxman Silver Member Nikonian since 04th Oct 2008Sat 03-Nov-12 04:13 AM
#15. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 13

South Australia, AU

Tks Mick,
All good! Much appreciated,
I will at least download the link to the "creative lighting system" that JRP listed at the top of the forum,
I get the SB 700 soon so at least I can get a head start,
Regards,
Gary

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sat 03-Nov-12 06:13 PM
#18. "RE: R1C1 which mode with a D700?"
In response to Reply # 8

Chicago, US

In the macro mode the balance between the A& B group is a balance slider control.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59677 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.