nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59658
View in linear mode

Subject: "EM-140 DG Macro Flash" Previous topic | Next topic
tacomadm18 Registered since 29th Aug 2011Wed 31-Oct-12 03:18 AM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"EM-140 DG Macro Flash"

US

Wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this
flash - 
Also, can this flash be used for general shots - etc - 
I'd be using this on a D7000 - thanks 

thanks 

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Wed 31-Oct-12 10:02 AM
26893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#1. "RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

I have one. I use it rather more than I had expected. It is a specialty device, really not suited for anything other than macro work. This is for a couple of reasons. First, it's a pretty bulky contraption. Second, and probably more importantly, it is not very powerful. That may seem like a problem, but for its intended purpose, it's not: by definition, macro work is done at very close distances, so adding a lot of power to a macro flash just increases the cost and weight of the unit.

The unit works quite well, with really only two drawbacks. First is the manual, which is pretty bad. Even as a reasonably experienced user I found the manual pretty hard to use, although I did figure it out in the end. Also, it does seem to have a limitation on how far it can dial back the flash tubes. I find that every once in a while I get a pretty drastic overexposure when I'm too close and have the aperture wide open - my impression is that the unit has a range of full to 1/32 power or about five stops. Well, no - I just checked the specs and it goes down to 1/64th, so perhaps this is just cockpit error.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

tacomadm18 Registered since 29th Aug 2011Wed 31-Oct-12 11:08 PM
23 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash"
In response to Reply # 1

US

How about the
Metz Mecablitz 15 MS-1 Macro Ringlight

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 01-Nov-12 12:02 PM
26893 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond, US

I've never even seen one, so can't really comment. From the specs I would think that it's going to be quite like the Sigma, only wireless. It has the same 1/64th minimum flash limitation. Metz flashes are consistently good, though, and have been for 40 years.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

nrothschild Silver Member Neil is an expert in several areas, including camera support Nikonian since 25th Jul 2004Thu 01-Nov-12 03:23 PM
10916 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: EM-140 DG Macro Flash"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I have a very old EM-140. It needs a firmware update, which I think Sigma will do. Mine does not work consistently with Mup on later cameras, and also inconsistently in Autoexposure mode. I only use it in Manual mode for work on a copy stand. I should get the Mup problem fixed, though.

I think Mup worked with the D2h I was using when I bought it. It stopped working with either the D200 or D300. Sigma told me they could fix it (that was several years ago now).

Just to say my 5+ year old unit, made before the D200 came out, I think, may not be representative of the feature set compatibility of new units.

Seems to me that no ring flash would make a good "general purpose" flash. In general, you want the light coming in at the most extreme angle (to a reasonable extent) as possible. That is one of the benefits of a hot shoe mounted flash, verses using a built in pop-up flash.

Any ring flash, by design, will project the light almost parallel to the optical axis when used at "normal" distances of more than a foot or so. You may have considered this but I have to throw it in to make sure .

It is also not a very powerful flash but Brian covered that.

my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59658 Previous topic | Next topic