Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59645
View in linear mode

Subject: "Dragging shutter" Previous topic | Next topic
ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberMon 29-Oct-12 08:58 PM
8151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Dragging shutter"

Powder Springs, US

This has happened to me twice and I'm not sure how to trouble shoot the problem.

Scenario:
1. SB800
2. D700
3. Paramount iTTL cable with hot shoe for PW.
4. Damp and dark shooting conditions as well as cool outdoors.
5. Front curtain sync with 1/60 sec minimum SS
6. Aperture preferred at f/9.0.

It will randomly drop the shutter speed to 1/25. If I turn the flash and camera off and turn the camera on followed by the flash, it shoots at 1/60.

Of course I set the aperture and shutter in manual mode and everything is OK. I suspect the cable, but I'm not sure of that. It doesn't seem to do it when the weather is warm and dry.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Dragging shutter
jim thomas Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
31st Oct 2012
ctadin Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
31st Oct 2012
avm247 Moderator
31st Oct 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Nov 2012
ScottChapin Moderator
01st Nov 2012

jim thomas Silver Member Nikonian since 12th Jan 2003Wed 31-Oct-12 12:28 AM
1279 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Dragging shutter"
In response to Reply # 0

Edmond, US

Hi Scott,

I assume that you do not have slow sync set for the flash?

JDT

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 31-Oct-12 08:43 AM
8151 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Dragging shutter"
In response to Reply # 1

Powder Springs, US

I'll double check, but no, I don't. I don't think that would stop when I cycle camera and flash power. I'm thinking its the weather, but don't know.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Wed 31-Oct-12 12:54 PM
972 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Dragging shutter"
In response to Reply # 2
Wed 31-Oct-12 12:55 PM by ctadin

St Louis, US

Scott,
Do you have another cable you can try it with?

Cheryl

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberWed 31-Oct-12 01:57 PM
#4. "RE: Dragging shutter"
In response to Reply # 3

Powder Springs, US

Cheryl,

I wish I did. It's a pricy specialty cable from Paramount. It is a modified SC-28 with a hotshoe wired in that holds the PocketWizard Plus II transceiver. It works, seemingly so, almost always. I saw this happen 2 or 3 years ago when the weather was similar.

The first time on the SC coast, the dew point was reached as a cool night set in. This time in Cookville, TN it had been misting all day and it started after sunset when it got cool.

I had the flash, PW, and camera protected by a large oven bag, so direct moisture should not be the issue. I didn't notice condensation, so it's just strange.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberWed 31-Oct-12 03:44 PM
18521 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Dragging shutter"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

I remember reading here (or maybe on another site) that the weather can cause electronics to behave irregularly. In cold low humidy weather, static electricity caused my SB-28 to fire when it wasn't supposed to. I wonder if this is the same thing with the soddered connections in the cable.

But if you are in a specific mode, I don't know why settings would change. Definitely a weird problem.

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 01-Nov-12 08:21 AM
#6. "RE: Dragging shutter"
In response to Reply # 5

Powder Springs, US

Thanks Anthony, that makes me more comfortable with my thoughts that it's a fluke and not a problem with the equipment.

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

ScottChapin Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in various areas, including Aviation and Birds Photography Charter MemberThu 01-Nov-12 08:21 AM
#7. "RE: Dragging shutter"
In response to Reply # 5
Thu 01-Nov-12 08:23 AM by ScottChapin

Powder Springs, US

Duplicate

Scott Chapin
Powder Springs, GA, USA
Nikonians Team Member

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59645 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.