Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59636
View in linear mode

Subject: "studio lighting and noise" Previous topic | Next topic
Tallow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2009Mon 29-Oct-12 01:32 AM
905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"studio lighting and noise"

Niagara-on-the-Lake, CA

I was trying to shoot some orchids with my studio lights and when I put them on the computer they seems to have a lot of noise and the clarity wasn't what I expected

I have an old set of braun 600w lights and was using the modelling light to take this image. I was trying various light locations but for this shot I had two lights with umbrella's stations about 4 feet on the left and right side at about 45 degrees from the camera

when I zoom into the photo there a lot of noise and very little detail. Am I doing something wrong or is this because of the lights I am using

Nikon D300s
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8
1/6 at f/18 ISO 200

focus was on the flower on the right side

Dave

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Visit my 500px gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)
Attachment #2, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: studio lighting and noise
gkaiseril Gold Member
29th Oct 2012
Tallow Silver Member
29th Oct 2012
Arkayem Moderator
31st Oct 2012
Tallow Silver Member
31st Oct 2012
hujiie Silver Member
31st Oct 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 29-Oct-12 07:18 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: studio lighting and noise"
In response to Reply # 0
Mon 29-Oct-12 07:25 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

Are you sure this is not a DOF issue?

Closeups have a very small DOF

Or a diffraction issue?

Fstops greater than f11 can have diffraction caused by the small lens opening.

It looks like the EXIF data about the lens, focus distance, fstop were removed. With EXIF Tool you can see the DOF for the shot.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Tallow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2009Mon 29-Oct-12 11:49 PM
905 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: studio lighting and noise"
In response to Reply # 1

Niagara-on-the-Lake, CA

thanks George
I never even realized I had the meta data turned off. This image should have the data attached

I was about 5' away and according to my DOF calc I should have had a DOF of about 1.5". I even used the Live View setting to focus on the flower

Dave

Visit my 500px gallery.

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 31-Oct-12 04:30 PM
5986 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: studio lighting and noise"
In response to Reply # 2

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

It looks to me that you might be getting some camera motion blur. What type of tripod were you using? Were you using mirror-up? Was there any breeze that could have moved the flowers in the 1/6th second the shutter was open?

Also, you will get sharper results with any lens if you do not stop it down quite so far. You were at f/16 with your 70-200mm, and that lens is slightly sharper from f/4 to f/11.

And, you were at 200mm. That lens is slightly sharper if you stay off the max and min zoom settings. Try 180mm.

As far as the noise goes; was the image exposed properly? Did you brighten it in post processing? If you did, that always adds noise. Make sure to expose to the right on the histogram to minimize noise. You can always darken it later, and that will not add noise.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

Tallow Silver Member Nikonian since 07th Apr 2009Wed 31-Oct-12 04:35 PM
#4. "RE: studio lighting and noise"
In response to Reply # 3

Niagara-on-the-Lake, CA

thanks for the suggestions Russ
I was using f/16 with my 70-200 on a Gitzo 3541 XLS with WH-200 Wimberley Head. I did use mirror lock up with a cable remote. This was shot in a dark garage with just the lights. I don't think I had to change much in the exposure in Lightroom but will cheque. I redo the shot again using f/11 and see how it goes. Perhaps I will also shoot it during the day with sunlight to see what I get

thanks again

Dave

Visit my 500px gallery.

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Wed 31-Oct-12 10:58 PM
549 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: studio lighting and noise"
In response to Reply # 4

US

Did you turn VR off on your tripod?

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59636 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.