Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59631
View in linear mode

Subject: "What does this SB700 display mean?" Previous topic | Next topic
clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Sun 28-Oct-12 02:07 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What does this SB700 display mean?"

Austin, US

From time to time I get this display on my SB700 when it's in TTL mode. (It's attached to a D80). When this happens, the flash works in manual mode, but not TTL. Changing modes on the camera doesn't make this go away, but sometimes it does go back to TTL mode all by itself. Another interesting tidbit: when I push the flash mode button on the camera, the built-in flash pops up, as if it didn't know there was an external flash attached. It seems like it never happens on fresh batteries, but it doesn't happen very often, so that might just be a coincidence.

There's no information on this in the manual. Any clues as to what's happening?

Clay
Austin, TX USA

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Sun 28-Oct-12 04:43 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What does this SB700 display mean?"
In response to Reply # 0
Sun 28-Oct-12 08:28 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

See Page H-4 or you user guide.

Warning Indicator:
Incompatible camera warning (non-CLS-compatible)

Cause:
The mode selector is set to or , or the power switch/wireless mode switch for multiple flash units is set to or when used with a non-CLS-compatible camera.

Solution:
Set the power switch/wireless mode switch for multiple fl ash units to and the mode selector to .

Reference page:
F-1

I would also add a loss of power, low power, Speedlight movement (not locked or loose) that causes the communication between the camera and Speedlight to be lost and not properly reestablished.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Sun 28-Oct-12 11:50 PM
197 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What does this SB700 display mean?"
In response to Reply # 1

Austin, US

The D80 is CLS compatible (at least most of the time). I have read that there's a difference between pre-D90 CLS and D90 or later: there was some Chinese flash linked to on Strobist that was only compatible with D90 or later. I wonder if that's a factor?

It was locked down, but next time it happens I'll try wiggling it around to see if it makes a difference.

Thanks.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Mon 29-Oct-12 01:56 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: What does this SB700 display mean?"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

You might try cleaning the electrical contacts. If there is a bad connection or no connection then the Speedlight assumes the camera is not a CLS camera.

The pre-D90 dSLRs do not have full control of the SB-400, but that does not mean a different CLS. The SB-600/800 still works as CLS uints on the newer dSLRs. The other change is that the SB-400/700/900/910 do not work with TTL film cameras but the SB-600/800 both support TTL film cameras. I would not consider that a different CLS.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

clayolmstead Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Jul 2010Tue 30-Oct-12 12:58 PM
#4. "RE: What does this SB700 display mean?"
In response to Reply # 3

Austin, US

Thanks for clearing that up. I'll work on clearing up those contacts.

Clay
Austin, TX USA

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59631 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.