Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59614
View in linear mode

Subject: "Portable Studio" Previous topic | Next topic
SirPuttsAlot Silver Member Nikonian since 26th Sep 2011Thu 25-Oct-12 04:16 PM
331 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Portable Studio"

Poughquag, US

Now that the holidays are upon us a bunch of my family and friends have asked if I could take some nice portraits for XMas Cards, Pictures, whatever. I'm not looking to start a business, this is mostly for fun and each have generously offered to chip in $100 towards the equipment, so that gives me a budget of approx. $1K. I currently have a D800 w/SB-910. After some quick research, I started to make a list of what I might need:

• Background Stand
  • Few different rolls of paper, at a minimum white, black, and a neutral grey
  • Additional SB-910
  • 2 x Light Stands
  • 2 x Swivel Brackets
  • 2 x Softboxes or Umbrella

So a few questions:
First, does this sound like a good start?
Is there anything I am overlooking?
Anything else you can recommend?

Timeframe: I will probably put the final list of items I will need together over the weekend after I have performed more research on the subject and pull the trigger on the purchase Monday.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Portable Studio
luckyphoto Silver Member
25th Oct 2012
DinoCardelli
27th Oct 2012
ctadin Silver Member
27th Oct 2012
mfphoto1
27th Oct 2012
barrydb
28th Oct 2012
hujiie Silver Member
28th Oct 2012

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Thu 25-Oct-12 08:39 PM
762 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Portable Studio"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

You would probably want to add a 3rd light, stand and boom for a hair light (maybe a continuous light since a second SB 910 might blow the budget).

Regarding background, check to see if some might want an outdoor photo since it's for Christmas cards. That way you could save on paper expense and have a bit of variety in the photos.

Sound like a fun project.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

DinoCardelli Registered since 19th Oct 2010Sat 27-Oct-12 09:30 AM
236 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Portable Studio"
In response to Reply # 0

Plantation, US

Consider two SB600's vs one SB910...they will work within the CLS system where the SB910 will be your master..

Google CLS system NIKON and there is a good bit of information...also, Apple has some good videos...but, Youtube and others have some execllent info.

This combo will give you the 3rd light suggest for the hair light...which will really pick up your photos..

Also, be sure to get a heavyweight stand...you'll need 10' rolls of paper for any group shots..stay away from Cowboy Studio..IMHO cheap stuff....

Check AMAZON for pricing..but, anything free shipping will take at least a week...

WestCott or Interfit are good brand names that will last you on umbrellas and stands...

Just remember, with the CLS system, the sensor needs to be visible...with some softboxes..you can't see the senson when in the box set up...just a FYI..

Also, for a inexpensive but really great eye catch light...that you'll use over and over is the Firefly octabox...check it out..about $200 or so..but, small and portable...you can hook it up with a on camera sensor with wire and hot shoe to the Octabox and it does a great job......

You can literally hold it in your hand, or put on stand and shoot.....

Also, consider some "fun" colors for paper....Blue, Red's purple...are all fun...white, black and grey are classic, but, kind of boring...IMHO.

Remember, with your CLS system, you can do some nice outdoor work as suggested..by controlling the apeture, you can blurr out the backgrounds and use your strobes as fills for some nice photos..

Enjoy...

dc

Visit my professional gallery.

ctadin Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2008Sat 27-Oct-12 03:05 PM
960 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Portable Studio"
In response to Reply # 2
Sat 27-Oct-12 03:12 PM by ctadin

St Louis, US

I would suggest you buy sand bags for each of your light stands, especially if you shoot outside.
I buy empty sand bags that I fill with 5lb weights.
I also would have someone standing near the light stands to prevent them from crashing to the ground from a gust of wind.
I like and use Lastolite EZ-Box Softbox. I have no problem with my Nikon SB-900's sensor being blocked from the Softbox. The Lastolite's come in different sizes.
If you go with a backdrop, you can purchase a holiday theme backdrop.
If you don't want to use Nikon's CLS, you can purchase Pocket Wizard's or Radio Poppers.

Cheryl

mfphoto1 Registered since 29th Oct 2005Sat 27-Oct-12 11:27 PM
733 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#4. "RE: Portable Studio"
In response to Reply # 0

Cincinnati, US

This looks like a good start. I do most of my shooting outdoors so backdrops are not often an issue. I haven't used paper for people since I got of photography school, just not durable enough especially with children(unless you're letting the kids play with paint). When I do use a background it's usually vinyl or muslin. one thing to remember about using a background indoors is having enough room.

First you have at least 10ft wide background which may not be wide enough for a large group of people so possible 12ft. Then if you're lighting the background evenly that's a light stand on either side of the background so another 4-6ft total of width. Then since your subject should be at least 4ft from your background which needs to be at least 9ft high plus space in front of them your background needs to be 15-20ft long with at least 8-11ft of that actually on the ground plus room for your main lights and you and your camera. that's a lot of space in an empty room but in most peoples furnished living room almost impossible.

Consider getting some Christmas type props clearing space and shooting with the wall as your background.

Lastly Someone mentioned staying away from Cowboy studios, I have found them to be a mixed bag, getting the heavy duty stands and backdrop stands are fine and mine have held up well. http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/w807%20stand.htm
My brolly box which I absolutely love and use a lot is starting to come apart. So far it's not anything I can't fix but it is coming apart.
http://www.cowboystudio.com/product_p/w-fslash-b%20brolly%20box.htm
By the way I use the brolly box with my SB-800's and cactus v5 flash triggers.

"Step into my world and see as I see"

My Nikonians Gallery

barrydb Registered since 30th May 2012Sun 28-Oct-12 02:17 AM
16 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Portable Studio"
In response to Reply # 0

US

If you want to photograph people and are on a budget I recomend the photek softlighter II (www,photekusa.com/Softlighter.html). You can still trigger via nikon cls and the lighting is wonderfully soft and big. Easy to set up and tear down - just be sure you have a sturdy lightstand. Regarding backgrounds - depends on the look you want, how large the group is, where you want to shoot, etc. With the lenses you have you can limit your dof and throw the background out of focus and crop tightly around your subjects so that the background is less prominent. Focus on the people their expressions and the lighting

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Sun 28-Oct-12 02:37 PM
551 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Portable Studio"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I think it is a very good start to get all items listed. If I were you, I would add at reflector (at least 42" in diameter) and some comes with white, gold and silver. You can use one SB 910 as main, reflector as FIll, 2nd SB910 for separation light. Or you can bundle 2x SB910 as strong main lights, Or place one of each SB910 both side for even lights. Or one SB910 on top center and another SB 910 to BK paper from bottom for High key shots. The reflector can act as an additional FIll light sources, from anywhere the below the subject or else...

Also, personally, I would not go for many BK papers but just white and black. If you add some colored gel on SB910 shooting to white BK can tint or color too.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59614 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.