Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59600
View in linear mode

Subject: "PocketWizard Plus III, SB-800 and D600" Previous topic | Next topic
folsombob Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2005Wed 24-Oct-12 06:10 AM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"PocketWizard Plus III, SB-800 and D600"

Carmichael, US

I've been on the verge of buying PWs for my Nikon strobes, but have been hesitant until the new Plus III model came out.

So, I have a few questions bundled in this post:

1) I can't find any information as to how they connect to the SB-800s. It's obvious that they don't have a hot shoe.

Do they use the provided Mono 3.5mm Miniphone to Locking PC Cable?

2a) The other side of the coin is how does it connect with the D600 camera IF I don't want to attach it to the hot shoe?

2b) My other cameras are the D2X and D200, so the same question would apply. However, the D600 with FX has become my new portrait camera.

Sometimes I need to use on-camera flash (the mounted SB-800, not the pop-up) and turn off the softboxes with SB-800s.

3) On a side note, it would appear the PW Plus III would not work with the Nikon SB-600... correct? incorrect?

Thanks,

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: PocketWizard Plus III, SB-800 and D600
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th Oct 2012
folsombob Silver Member
24th Oct 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
24th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
25th Oct 2012
folsombob Silver Member
25th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
25th Oct 2012

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 24-Oct-12 04:52 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: PocketWizard Plus III, SB-800 and D600"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 24-Oct-12 05:35 PM by gkaiseril

Chicago, US

1) The SB-800 has a PC sync port and the camera has Nikon unique plug. PW uses a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mic plug you can use the PW Cable Finder to find the PW cable needed for the connection to the Speedlight or camera. SB-800 PC5N

2a)See above for the cable finder. N90M-ACC, includes pre-trigger

2b)See above for the cable finder. N90M-ACC, includes pre-trigger

3) Need PC hot foot adapter and then use the PC5N for the PC sync plug.

Please review the linked product pages and make sure you understand what features the cord provides.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

folsombob Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2005Wed 24-Oct-12 05:07 PM
480 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: PocketWizard Plus III, SB-800 and D600"
In response to Reply # 1

Carmichael, US

Hey George,

THanks for the info and the links.

My question about the camera, though, was not how to trigger to the camera, but how to use the Plus III and not attach it to the D600 hot shoe.

Does that make sense?

Bob

>1) The SB-800 has a PC sync port and the camera has Nikon
>unique plug. PW uses a 1/8" (3.5mm) stereo mic plug you
>can use the PW
>Cable Finder
>to find the PW cable needed for the connection to the
>Speedlight or camera. SB-800
>PC5N
>
>2a)See above for the cable finder.
>N90M-ACC,
>includes pre-trigger
>
>2b)See above for the cable finder.
>N90M-ACC,
>includes pre-trigger
>
>3) Need PC hot foot adapter and then use the PC5N for the PC
>sync plug.

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Wed 24-Oct-12 05:40 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: PocketWizard Plus III, SB-800 and D600"
In response to Reply # 2

Chicago, US

The Plus III has a hot foot just like the Speedlight and the center contact and rails are wired in parallel with the shutter release so if the shutter release is closed, depressed, then shutter is tripped by the electric current from the closed circuit and if the Plus III completes the circuit between the center point and rails the shutter is tripped just as if the shutter release is depressed.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 25-Oct-12 03:11 AM
26120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: PocketWizard Plus III, SB-800 and D600"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Bob,

>My question about the camera, though, was not how to
>trigger to the camera, but how to use the Plus III and not
>attach it to the D600 hot shoe.
>
>Does that make sense?

Do you want to remotely fire the D600 with the Plus III not in the hotshoe?
Just plug the N-MCDC2-ACC cord in the Plus III and the other end in the Accessory port on the side of the camera and hang the Plus III by the lanyard. The Plus III doesn't have to be in the hotshoe.

If you want to have a Speedlight in the hotshoe and use the Plus III to fire strobes or remote Speedlights in Manual flash mode you will need a Paramount HSFM-SC28 Nikon SC-28 to Pocket Wizard Remote Cord.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

folsombob Silver Member Nikonian since 20th Nov 2005Thu 25-Oct-12 06:19 AM
#6. "RE: PocketWizard Plus III, SB-800 and D600"
In response to Reply # 5

Carmichael, US

Hi Marty,

Yup--you got it in the last paragraph.

Sometimes I will have two softboxes setup at an event (wedding, etc), but will have intermittent need to shoot just with a mounted speedlight in the hotshoe. Then, I'll need to use the softboxes again. Having the option to switch back and forth with no more than turning off the Plus III and turning on the speedlight is what I'm after.

Your solution looks like a good one.

Thanks!

Bob

>Hi Bob,
>
>
>>My question about the camera, though, was not how
>to
>>trigger to the camera, but how to use the Plus III and
>not
>>attach it to the D600 hot shoe.
>>
>>Does that make sense?
>
>Do you want to remotely fire the D600 with the Plus III not in
>the hotshoe?
>Just plug the N-MCDC2-ACC cord in the Plus III and the other
>end in the Accessory port on the side of the camera and hang
>the Plus III by the lanyard. The Plus III doesn't have to be
>in the hotshoe.
>
>If you want to have a Speedlight in the hotshoe and use the
>Plus III to fire strobes or remote Speedlights in Manual flash
>mode you will need a Paramount HSFM-SC28 Nikon SC-28 to Pocket
>Wizard Remote Cord.
>Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Thu 25-Oct-12 02:30 AM
26120 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: PocketWizard Plus III, SB-800 and D600"
In response to Reply # 1

US

Hi George,

>2a)See above for the cable finder.
>N90M-ACC,
>includes pre-trigger

Since the N90-ACC has a 10 pin plug that the D600 doesn't have, I suspect you ment the N-MCDC2-ACC Cable , that includes pre-trigger for cameras using MC-DC2 Accesory Cables like the D600 and D7000.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59600 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.