Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59563
View in linear mode

Subject: "Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as comm..." Previous topic | Next topic
sigwart Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jun 2007Thu 18-Oct-12 03:51 PM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as commander"

Courtland, US

I am just starting to use my SB800 and SB900 as remote flashes. I tried to use the built in flash of my D300 as a commander, in an outside setting (sunny). I had the remote flashes in front of the camera (off to the side), no more than 6 feet from the camera. The flashes wouldn't fire. When testing indoors, there was no problem with triggering the flashes. What is the triggering range of the built in flash as a commander. Do I have to place the remote flashes to the right or left of the camera to trigger them? Thanks for any help.

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as ...
chiefmasterjedi
18th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
20th Oct 2012
cliddell Silver Member
21st Oct 2012
sigwart Silver Member
23rd Oct 2012
HBB Moderator
21st Oct 2012
Arkayem Moderator
24th Oct 2012
prophotoman Gold Member
01st Nov 2012

chiefmasterjedi Registered since 26th Feb 2009Thu 18-Oct-12 05:38 PM
300 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as commander"
In response to Reply # 0

US

When shooting outdoors make sure the IR sensor (little round red glass eye on the side of your speedlight) is facing the camera, you may need to face the body of the flash in the opposite direction and turn the flash head 180 degrees to get the eye facing the right way. When inside this isn't normally a problem because the flash from the camera bounces off the walls and hits the IR sensor. Also bright sunlight can cause issues for the IR system, but at around 6' it should be fine.
The IR has a range of about 30' in ideal conditions but try to keep the flashes as close to the camera as possible.

I hope this helps,

Chris C.

Visit my web site.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 20-Oct-12 04:04 PM
25042 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as commander"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Christian has provided excellent advise that will allow you to maximize the wireless range of the system regardless of the ambient conditions. That said in bright sunlight IR wireless signal range is limited by the ambient light level since the IR light is overpowered by the sun.
This is one of the situations where the RF signals used by the Radio Poppers and Pocket Wizard Control TL systems are much more reliable and provide several orders of magnitude longer range.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

cliddell Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Oct 2006Sun 21-Oct-12 03:44 PM
987 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as commander"
In response to Reply # 0

Pietermaritzburg, ZA

The problem using the built in flash is that it only faces forward and, outdoors, will be hit and miss to communicate with the remote.

When I have used CLS in sunny conditions I have placed a SB800 as master on the camera pointing at the remote unit. Also, to improve signal reception, a small piece of card bent to shade the little IR window from the sun can be fixed to the remote with tape or presstik.

Of course the remote should be rotated to face the IR window at the master flash.

Regards,
Clive Liddell
Pietermaritzburg
South Africa

sigwart Silver Member Nikonian since 11th Jun 2007Tue 23-Oct-12 01:29 AM
30 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as commander"
In response to Reply # 3

Courtland, US

Thanks to all for the information. I will use my SB800 for my master and my SB900 for my remote.

HBB Moderator Hal is an expert in several areas, including CLS Awarded for his excellent article contributions to the Resources. Charter MemberSun 21-Oct-12 07:01 PM
8333 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as commander"
In response to Reply # 0

Phoenix, US

John:

Another option:

Use either the SB800 or SB900 on-camera and place the diffuser dome on it. This will spread the emitted light to both sides, possibly enough to fire the remote unit(s) reliably. Yes, this shorts you one remote, and may cost you a little in total power reaching the subject from the on-camera unit. You were looking for a reason to acquire another CLS compatible speedlight anyway, weren't you?

As others have pointed out, make sure the small IR window on the remote unit(s) face the camera.

Regards,

HBB in Phoenix, Arizona
Nikonian Team Member

Photography is a journey with no conceivable destination.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography Charter MemberWed 24-Oct-12 07:04 PM
5954 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as commander"
In response to Reply # 0
Wed 24-Oct-12 07:05 PM by Arkayem

Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US

>I am just starting to use my SB800 and SB900 as remote
>flashes. I tried to use the built in flash of my D300 as a
>commander, in an outside setting (sunny). I had the remote
>flashes in front of the camera (off to the side), no more than
>6 feet from the camera. The flashes wouldn't fire. When
>testing indoors, there was no problem with triggering the
>flashes. What is the triggering range of the built in flash
>as a commander. Do I have to place the remote flashes to the
>right or left of the camera to trigger them? Thanks for any
>help.

My experience shows that it is very difficult outdoors, in bright light, to get more than about 15 feet range with a camera commander. At night you can get 50 feet or so, but the camera commander it was designed for primarilly low ambient indoor studio work, and it works very well in that role.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

prophotoman Gold Member Nikonian since 27th Jun 2009Thu 01-Nov-12 06:39 AM
253 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: Range of internal speedlite in outside setting, as commander"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 01-Nov-12 06:45 AM by prophotoman

Oakdale, US

About two years ago, while I was visiting relatives in the Philippines, I wanted to take some mid to late dusk shots of the 260+ year old church that my wife and I were married in. I ended up using my D700 built in speedlight as the commander... with my wife holding an SB-900 on the left side of the front of the church and my brother in law holding another SB-900 on the rigt side. They were both about 30 feet or so away from me I took the shot with no problems, both speedlights went off properly and the entire front of the church was illuminated evenly. The only remote operation I have ever used is the CLS system built into my camera. Going back to the Philippines again soon. I will be bringing 2 SB900's and one SB910. MOST of the time I will still use my camera as the commander except PERHAPS in bright daylight.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59563 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.