Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59515
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB-800 not firing" Previous topic | Next topic
pparkerr Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Mar 2007Thu 11-Oct-12 03:12 AM
2 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB-800 not firing"

Arlington, US

I have a Nikon D300 and use a SB-800 on it. The camera is two years old and the speed light about four years old. Recently the speed light has been firing and not firing off and on. It is when the flash is on the camera. The test button fires the flash rapidly and consistently. I am thinking that there is a problem with the contacts. Has anyone had this problem or have any suggestions?
Thank you.

Parker

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

NenBikonian Registered since 30th Sep 2011Thu 11-Oct-12 02:03 PM
209 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB-800 not firing"
In response to Reply # 0

Roswell, US

I think the first thing I'd do is try with a different/new flash. If you have a camera store nearby that sells Nikon speedlights, you might want to give them a visit and see if they'll let you stick one of their units on your camera.

Outside of this, I believe I'd test this thoroughly to better determine when it is firing and when it is not firing:

Setup the flash on camera w/ Metering mode = M and flash in M mode. Test that the flash fires all the time in this mode.

Setup the flash on camera w/ metering mode = M and flash in TTL mode. Keep the flash pointed at the same scene so that it meters the same way in every shot (using a gray card or a consistently-illuminated surface as your "scene" is a good idea). Test that the flash fires all the time in this mode.

Good luck,
Ben

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Thu 11-Oct-12 06:31 PM
26574 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: SB-800 not firing"
In response to Reply # 0
Thu 11-Oct-12 06:31 PM by blw

Richmond, US

The very first thing I'd check is whether or not the flash is properly mounted on the shoe. Not meaning to insult anyone's intelligence, but I discovered that I had this problem - I think it was on my D2x but it might have been the D2h. The problem turned out to be that one side of my hot shoe had been slightly bent (I guess while it was in the bag?) and wasn't allowing the flash to slide fully into the shoe all the time. The fix was a bit unsubtle but effective: I took the batteries out of the camera and bent the shoe back using a big screwdriver. Voila, fully functional flash.

After checking this, the next stuff is as Ben described above.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Thu 11-Oct-12 10:41 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB-800 not firing"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

Also make sure the contacts are clean.

Make sure the flash is fully seated.

Make sure the flash is locked into the hot shoe.

Make sure the flash does not wobble.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59515 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.