nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59513
View in linear mode

Subject: "PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help" Previous topic | Next topic
guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Wed 10-Oct-12 10:06 AM
953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help"

Rugby, UK

I currently use Elinchrom skyport radio triggers, but am considering moving to the PW system as above because I want to be able to adjust the power of each speedlight from the camera. However, this alone isn't enough to make me want to spend £500.

I'd like to know if you can use this set up in manual mode still, or is it literally just for TTL? If you can use it with speedlights in manual mode, can you still adjust the power of the speedlights from your camera?

Finally, I've read a little bit about Hypersync, but don't really understand if this will work with the above and my D700. This is a feature I'd really like to have, so if it is easy to work and performs well this would make the upgrade worthwhile.

If I can use in TTL and manual mode and control the power of the speedights AND use this hypersync mode I will take the plunge.

Will the above setup give me everything that PWIII will, plus the TTL facility? or are there things that PWIII give you that the above set up doesn't?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help
hujiie Silver Member
11th Oct 2012
guyparker
11th Oct 2012
hujiie Silver Member
11th Oct 2012
guyparker
11th Oct 2012
hujiie Silver Member
11th Oct 2012
wkilburg
18th Oct 2012
wkilburg
18th Oct 2012

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Thu 11-Oct-12 12:15 AM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help"
In response to Reply # 0

US

I use PW Flex TT5 / AC3 system for PCB White Lighting mono lights (that is not TTL native) with AC9 along with SB900’s. I am sure Elinchrom system works the similar way.

Flex TT5 can control power of WL mono lights in manual mode with AC 9 (it does not make lights to be TTL). If you use TTL capable speedlights including Nikon SB910, 900, 800, 700, 600 etc, Flex TT5 can make them trigger as TTL. You can combine speedlights in TTL or Manual with Mono light in manual mode.

With Flex TT5, you can make your Mono lights to trigger much higher shutter speeds with Hypersync.

Flex TT5 system has 3 zones. PW3 (replacement of PW2) has 4 zones but it use only legacy channel (no CTL channel to communicate TTL).

It is one of my most necessary systems and I can control Monolights and speed lights with Flex TT5 with AC 3 and can trigger to measure with L-358 with new RT-32CTL unit.

www.hitoshiujiie.com/photography.html

guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Thu 11-Oct-12 12:41 PM
953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help"
In response to Reply # 1

Rugby, UK

Thanks, that's really helpful. And, I'm sorry - I should have mentioned that my main use will be with my speedlights (currently SB600 & SB800). Actually I've just checked and I wouldn't be able to use them with my Elinchrom BRXi 500's

You'll be able to answer my next question I'm sure. What is the purpose of the AC3? I thought you could control the power of the speedlights with the Mini TT1/TT5 set-up anyway?

Can you stil control the power of speedlights if using the system in manual mode?

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Thu 11-Oct-12 01:34 PM
558 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help"
In response to Reply # 2

US

>You'll be able to answer my next question I'm sure. What is
>the purpose of the AC3? I thought you could control the power
>of the speedlights with the Mini TT1/TT5 set-up anyway?

AC3 is a controller for flash type (M, TTL), power setting and zones (A,B,C) and you set it on top ot Flex TT5 or Mini. You can do the same with on camera SB800, 900, 910 (3 zones), 700 (2 zones) in Master mode on top of Flex TT5 or Mini. Without these controlling units, you can not control your remote speedlights. You might be trigger remote flash without on-camera controlling unit (AC3 or on camera flash) and use camera flash comp. But this limits to only 1 zone and control is too limited for (I believe it only for manual setting) with a few power scales. I would say useless in this way.

AC3 is very compact and easy to operate more than on camera speedlight as a controlling unit. Only time I use on camera speedlight as a controller is to use on camera flash along with remote flash, such as some weddings and events.

>Can you stil control the power of speedlights if using the
>system in manual mode?

Yes you can.

guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Thu 11-Oct-12 07:09 PM
#4. "RE: PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help"
In response to Reply # 3

Rugby, UK

Do you know what the hypersync max speed is on a D700? I've read PW website but can;t find mention of hypersync speeds with different camera set up.

hujiie Silver Member Nikonian since 10th Apr 2009Thu 11-Oct-12 09:54 PM
#5. "RE: PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help"
In response to Reply # 4

US

PW mentioned upto 1/8000. I shot 1/1000 as a highest speed with 2x SB900 (see sample attached).

Attachment #1, (jpg file)

wkilburg Registered since 03rd Apr 2011Thu 18-Oct-12 12:12 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help"
In response to Reply # 5

Yorkville, US

I haven't tested to 1/8000 but have tested up to 1/4000 with my D700 and it works.

-----------------
Wally

wkilburg Registered since 03rd Apr 2011Thu 18-Oct-12 12:56 PM
93 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#7. "RE: PW Flex TT5 & Mini TT1 - help"
In response to Reply # 6

Yorkville, US

I got to thinking about my above response and recalled my learning curve and oft times frustration in picking up the CTL system using the TT1/TT5 and AC3 with my PW III's, a couple of Profoto packs with built in PW receivers and a Sekonic L-358 with CTL module.

Really, if you are looking for answers about the PW CTL system use their wiki which they reference form their support page. Use YouTube to clarify an curious questions about use too. I have also emailed PW support and they have always gotten back to me within 24 hrs, most times within 4 hrs. They will help.

The system works, it works well in iTTL mode and in manual mode. Hypersync works and also works well. You have to do some set up in the PW utility but that has real good help sections built in too. Use the 2 configurations available - I use one for pure TTL function and the other for manual function but you don't have to, you can do it with channel assignment. I built a very small chart outlining the channel assignment for all my receivers as it gets complicated in 3-4 light set ups. I might use a 600R battery pack with a receiver built in, and a couple of speedlights for hairlights or to gel a background when mobile so for me having a chart on my smartphone or in the bag is helpful.

When using the AC3 just remember that in manual (M) mode full power (1/1) is at the +3 setting and it goes down to 1/64 power at -3. you get a bunch of 1/3 stops in between but that is different than TTL mode (A) where full power is 0 and you have 3 stops + or - either way. Also remember to leave your remote flash units in TTL mode too and set your camera sync speed to 1/250(FP). You might have a tiny learning curve but it does all work and while it is costly, its nice to have one system to operate all my lights.

Good luck.

-----------------
Wally

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59513 Previous topic | Next topic