Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59494
View in linear mode

Subject: "What flash to buy?.." Previous topic | Next topic
johnyfas Registered since 28th Jul 2012Sun 07-Oct-12 08:12 PM
1 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"What flash to buy?.."

US

I have looked around and based on the reviews I have read I was planning on buying the SB-400. I have just begun my journey of learning to use the D-90 and am wanting a flash to help with low light pictures. Mainly of my family. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic

espeto68 Gold Member Nikonian since 29th Aug 2010Sun 07-Oct-12 09:16 PM
452 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: What flash to buy?.."
In response to Reply # 0

Oeiras, PT

Though the SB-400 is much powerful than the built-in, you would be better served with an SB-700 (or an used SB-600) - much more power, more options, more expensive, bigger. I went that route a got an SB-600.

José

Nikonians!!! My best investment made after my camera!!!

D700, D90, F80, F Photomic FTn

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Mon 08-Oct-12 12:57 AM
25677 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: What flash to buy?.."
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi John,

Welcome to Nikonians!
I would recommend an SB-700 or used SB-600 over the SB-400.
The SB-400 only has about one-stop more power than the built in Speedlight and can only be used on camera or attached to the camera via TTL extension cord.
Both the SB-600 and SB-700 have about two stops more power than the built in Speedlight and can easily be used off camera controlled wirelessly by the built in Speedlight set in Commander mode. The SB-600 or SB-700 flash heads are taller than the SB-400 which reduces the chance of red-eye even when not using red-eye reduction mode.
The flash heads on the SB-600 and SB-700 also rotate providing more versatility.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

blw Moderator Awarded for his high level of expertise in various areas Nikonian since 18th Jun 2004Tue 09-Oct-12 12:02 PM
26573 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#3. "RE: What flash to buy?.."
In response to Reply # 0

Richmond, US

From where I sit, the SB-400 is close to useless. I absolutely HATE the harsh flash shadows created by typical on-camera flash. It looks both ugly and amateurish. There is basically no way to avoid that with the SB-400, because it doesn't tilt or rotate much, and even if it did, it doesn't have enough power to bounce unless there's a suitable surface almost placed for that purpose. I nearly always use bounce flash as a result, and it makes a HUGE difference. Most of the time it takes a knowledgeable photographer to identify the fact that flash was used, and it looks very natural. But one has to have a tilting and rotating head, along with sufficient power to do that. Amongst the current lineup, the least expensive is the SB-700. I often use now-discontinued SB-600's, although they don't cost much less. (I have a small herd of SB-600s for use in multiple-flash situations.) Unfortunately the SB-700 is $330 these days.

If you don't want to spend SB-700 money, the Sigma EF-610 DG (not the EF-610 DG Super!) is about half that price ($165, both prices from this morning at B&H) and does what most people will want from a flash. Its main disadvantage is that it can't participate in any multi-flash setups, either as a commander or as a remote, but few people really need to go there. On the other hand, it is fully iTTL compatible and it has similar power to the SB-700, as well as a fully rotating and tilting head. Don't be fooled by the power specifications - Sigma claim that the 610 has a guide number of 200, while the Nikon has only 91 - the Sigma is measured at 105mm focal length and the Nikon is at 35mm. (There's also the meters vs feet and ISO...) I have and use a Sigma flash and it works quite well. (The Sigma has a different function than my herd of Nikon flashes; these statements are not in conflict.)

There are other Nikon iTTL compatible flashes, but I have no direct experience with them. Nissin seems to be reliable, but they don't seem to be any less expensive than Sigma. I would stay away from the Yongnuo brand. I have received several reports of very uneven quality. My guess is that they make some of their flashes and others they source from elsewhere. Some models get good ratings, and those models seem to be consistently reliable. Others seem to be terrible, also reliably so. They are very inexpensive - but one has to know which is which, and I at least cannot discern a pattern. Also note that some (many?) of their models are NOT iTTL compatible, although some are.

With the flash, I'd get the book On Camera Flash by Neil van Neikirk. It seems to be about wedding photography, but it's really just about flash - I learned good flash technique from his web site. (Google "planet neil flash".) It'll make your $200 flash unit look VASTLY better.

Bottom line: I'd suggest the Sigma EF-610 DG non-super unless you think you're going to get into advanced flash with multiple units. If that sort of advanced flash is in your future, or if you simply can't risk non-Nikon, get the SB-700.

_____
Brian... a bicoastal Nikonian and Team Member

My gallery is online. Comments and critique welcomed any time!

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 09-Oct-12 02:23 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: What flash to buy?.."
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

The SB-400 only adds vertical tilt, wider FOV, more sync options,and maybe a little more power than the cameras flash.

Unlike the SB-600/700/800/900/910 it does not add off camera use, side rotation of the flash head, manual control of the flash unit, slave remote.

I would look at the SB-700 because it allows master/commander of up to 2 group of remote units. The SB-800/900/910 offer 3 remote groups, and more power.

The SB-600 and the SB-800 are discontinued but are available used and refurbished.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59494 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.