nikonians

Even though we ARE Nikon lovers,we are NOT affiliated with Nikon Corp. in any way.

| |

Home Forums Articles Galleries News Workshops Shop Recommended
members
All members Wiki Contests Vouchers Apps Newsletter THE NIKONIAN™ Magazines Podcasts Fundraising
Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Print Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59493
View in linear mode

Subject: "Photographers at the Emmy's" Previous topic | Next topic
mel_klim Silver Member  Los Angeles, US  Charter Member Mon 08-Oct-12 12:42 AM
846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Photographers at the Emmy's"

I watched couple of photographers during the Emmy's taking pictures outside the venue during daytime hrs (4 pm). Several photographers had their flashheads at 45/60 degrees with the white card pulled out. Does this flash setup provide enough lighting to eliminate shadows?

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Print | Reply | Quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Photographers at the Emmy's Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
08th Oct 2012
Reply message RE: Photographers at the Emmy's mel_klim Silver Member
08th Oct 2012
     Reply message RE: Photographers at the Emmy's Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography
08th Oct 2012
          Reply message RE: Photographers at the Emmy's mel_klim Silver Member
09th Oct 2012
09th Oct 2012
                    Reply message RE: Photographers at the Emmy's RavenDog Silver Member
14th Oct 2012

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Mon 08-Oct-12 04:03 PM
6044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Photographers at the Emmy's"
In response to Reply # 0

>I watched couple of photographers during the Emmy's taking
>pictures outside the venue during daytime hrs (4 pm). Several
>photographers had their flashheads at 45/60 degrees with the
>white card pulled out. Does this flash setup provide enough
>lighting to eliminate shadows?

This is an excellent technique that has been used by photojournalists for decades. It gets the source of the light higher above the camera than the flash alone would do (which softens the light slightly and makes the subject's face appear more natural). The white card bounces enough light for a good exposure or for good fill outdoors.

The bounce card will eliminate shadows only with the camera held in landscape orientation. Then, the shadow will fall behind the subject, out of sight (mostly). If you hold the camera in the portrait orientation, the side shadow could actually be worse, because it will be farther to the right of the subject.

A flash bracket will allow you to shoot in portrait mode and keep the flash directly above the lens, which will hide the shadow, but it is bulky and more difficult to use than the simple bounce card.

Russ
Retired Professional Photographer
Nikonian Moderator
Russell MacDonald Photography
Nikon CLS Practical Guide

mel_klim Silver Member  Los Angeles, US  Charter Member Mon 08-Oct-12 04:08 PM
846 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Photographers at the Emmy's"
In response to Reply # 1

Thanks, Russ. I am assuming the photographers are shooting at Aperture, Shutter or Program Mode?

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Mon 08-Oct-12 05:20 PM
6044 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Photographers at the Emmy's"
In response to Reply # 2

>Thanks, Russ. I am assuming the photographers are shooting at
>Aperture, Shutter or Program Mode?

Well, it depends.

Usually, if the event is indoors in artificial light, the camera will be in Manual Mode set to ISO 400, f/4, 1/80th, and the flash on regular TTL. Then, the flash handles the entire exposure.

If the event is in daylight, the camera will be in whatever the photographer is comfortable with. The flash will be adding only fill, so it must either turned way down if in regular TTL mode or it could be put in TTL-BL mode if it is a modern flash.

For fill, I use the camera in P mode, ISO 200, and the flash in TTL-BL mode. The the flash will add perfect fill almost every shot.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

mel_klim Silver Member  Los Angeles, US  Charter Member Tue 09-Oct-12 12:59 AM
#4. "RE: Photographers at the Emmy's"
In response to Reply # 3

Thanks again! I just tried the setup that you suggested for outdoor shots and the pictures came out perfect using a D4, 24-70mm and SB800. The SB800 was set at TTL-BL, -1.0 flash comp, flash head at 45 degrees and the white card extended out.

Previously, I was shooting with the flash head pointed directly at my subject using TTL-BL with -1.0 flash comp.

Arkayem Moderator Awarded for his high level skills in flash photography   Richmond Hill, GA (Savannah), US  Charter Member Tue 09-Oct-12 02:16 AM
#5. "RE: Photographers at the Emmy's"
In response to Reply # 4
Tue 09-Oct-12 02:18 AM by Arkayem

>Thanks again! I just tried the setup that you suggested for
>outdoor shots and the pictures came out perfect using a D4,
>24-70mm and SB800. The SB800 was set at TTL-BL, -1.0 flash
>comp, flash head at 45 degrees and the white card extended
>out.
>
>Previously, I was shooting with the flash head pointed
>directly at my subject using TTL-BL with -1.0 flash comp.

One other point is that when using TTL-BL, it will only work properly when the camera meter is zeroed, and the easiest way to zero the meter is with one of the auto modes. I like camera P mode, because in bright light it will first run your shutter up to flash sync speed, 1/250th on the D4, and next stop down the aperture to make a correct ambient exposure. Then, the TTL-BL flash fires automatically adding just the right amount of fill. P mode also lets you change shutter/aperture pairs quickly with the rear thumb control wheel.

If the meter in the camera is not centered, the TTL-BL flash won't know that, and it fires at a power that would be right if the camera meter were centered. This can make your TTL-BL exposures unpredictable, and it has led more than one person to think that TTL-BL doesn't work.

Also, using P mode keeps the camera from going into High Speed Sync, so you always have full power flash to use for fill in bright sunlight. If you want to let the camera go to higher shutter speeds and use high speed sync, then it is usually best to use camera A mode and set the aperture you want and let the camera pick the shutter to control the exposure. The TTL-BL flash in high speed sync mode has about one stop less maximum power than when in regular sync mode.

Added: Never use TTL-BL indoors when you want the flash to be primary. Use regular TTL for that and put the camera in manual mode.

Russ
Nikonian Moderator

RavenDog Silver Member  Jeannette, US  Nikonian since 16th Jan 2009 Sun 14-Oct-12 12:50 AM
154 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#6. "RE: Photographers at the Emmy's"
In response to Reply # 5

Russ:

When using P outdoors with TTL-BL, you didn't mention tilting the flash 45-60 degrees with the white card extended. Should I consider that you don't?

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59493 Previous topic | Next topic