Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59476
View in linear mode

Subject: "SB600 Firing Accidentally" Previous topic | Next topic
MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Sat 06-Oct-12 05:14 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"SB600 Firing Accidentally"

Gold Coast, AU

I don't use my SB600 often so store it with the batteries removed to prevent leakage.
Now, upon reinstalling the batteries (which are fresh) the flash is firing accidentally, about every 10 seconds even when off camera. I have inspected the terminals and they look fine. I have also tried the 2 button reset and another set of new batteries , but the problem is still present. HELP

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally
MEMcD Moderator
06th Oct 2012
MBPierre Silver Member
06th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
06th Oct 2012
OnTERRYo Silver Member
06th Oct 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
06th Oct 2012
MBPierre Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
MBPierre Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
07th Oct 2012
MBPierre Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
dandy49 Silver Member
07th Oct 2012
cwils02 Gold Member
08th Oct 2012
dandy49 Silver Member
08th Oct 2012

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 06-Oct-12 05:46 AM
26189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 0

US

Hi Peter,

Make sure the test button isn't jammed in.
Is there anything that could be shorting the electrical contacts at the hotfoot?
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Sat 06-Oct-12 05:54 AM
24 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 1

Gold Coast, AU

Thanks Marty. The "test" button still needs to be pushed to fire the flash. I can't see anything shorting out the hotfoot contacts either. When switched on, flash still keeps firing about ever 20 seconds or so.

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sat 06-Oct-12 07:30 AM
26189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi Peter,

The only other possibility that I can think of is an internal short somewhere in the Speedlight.

Best Regards,
Marty

OnTERRYo Silver Member Nikonian since 25th Nov 2011Sat 06-Oct-12 12:11 PM
529 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 3

Hamilton, CA

Hi Peter.

Sorry you are having difficulty.
I Googled and found this:

Pretty simple issue as it turns out. The flash has way more leverage than the bracket can stand over time. As such, it bends up the flat sides of the camera mount and the flash wiggles inside slightly. It's just enough to cause an electrical short between the camera hot shoe and the flash and it sends a signal to the flash to fire. All I did was carefully tweak the hot shoe so that it would be tighter when the flash slid in. Now that I've done this, it made me come to the conclusion that the way Nikon does their hot shoe mounts is pretty friggin' stupid.

It was submitted to Model Mayhem site by 'Shot-By-Adam'.

Hope it helps.
Terry.

OnTERRYo

"The Nikon did the work; I just happened to be behind it at the time." TP

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Sat 06-Oct-12 01:22 PM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 4

HIXSON, US

The only thing is that he said that it is happening off camera as well.

My thought is that, if in commander mode, there are other lights causing the flash to fire.

Probably not in commander mode though if on camera, but if the settings weren't changed...

Charlie

MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Sun 07-Oct-12 01:01 AM
#6. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 5

Gold Coast, AU

Thanks Charlie.
Yes the flash is still firing away without any input from me.It does this both ON and OFF the hot-shoe of the D7K.
I have checked the CSM setting on the flash and it is "OFF" .
My ND7K is NOT in Commander mode either.

MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Sun 07-Oct-12 03:30 AM
#7. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 6

Gold Coast, AU

>Thanks Charlie.
>Yes the flash is still firing away without any input from
>me.It does this both ON and OFF the hot-shoe of the D7K.
>I have checked the CSM setting on the flash and it is
>"OFF" .
>My ND7K is NOT in Commander mode either.

I think I may have solved the problem. I suspected that condensation/moisture may have been the cause so I tried to dry out the battery compartment using sachets of desiccant gel in each of the 4 battery slots. This didn't seem to help so I placed the SB600 in the refrigerator for a couple of hours (with batteries removed). I left the battery compartment door open. Upon re-insertion of the batteries, the SB600 seems to be ok. The dehumidifying effect of the refrigerator seems to have done the trick

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Sun 07-Oct-12 03:50 AM
#8. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 7

US

Hi Peter,

Great news.
Glad to hear it is working correctly.
Thanks for the follow up.

Best Regards,
Marty

MBPierre Silver Member Nikonian since 21st Oct 2004Sun 07-Oct-12 04:18 AM
#9. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 8

Gold Coast, AU

Thanks for your help and interest guys.
I just wish I had sorted this out a week ago, as I had to make do with the inbuilt flash on my D7K at a friend's graduation ceremony yesterday.
I am happy with the results but feel they may have been a whole lot better with a functional SB600.

dandy49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Sun 07-Oct-12 01:01 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#10. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 0

clearwater, US

My SB-800 was firing like yours. The problem I had was that I used a flash bar and the cord that attached to the hot shoe had spread the camera hot shoe slides apart. When I attached the flash, there was this slight rocking motion between the flash and the camera and it would cause the flash to fire everytime I moved the camera. I sent the camera to Nikon for repair. The cost was around $120 (more or less), but along with repairing the hot shoe, they completely cleaned the camera and put new rubber grips on that were coming unglued. I was very pleased with Nikons service.

cwils02 Gold Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2012Mon 08-Oct-12 04:49 AM
807 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#11. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 10

HIXSON, US

How long did the service take?

Charlie

dandy49 Silver Member Nikonian since 28th Feb 2009Mon 08-Oct-12 01:31 PM
214 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#12. "RE: SB600 Firing Accidentally"
In response to Reply # 11

clearwater, US

It took about 2 weeks if I remember right.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59476 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.