Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59459
View in linear mode

Subject: "Nikon SC-17 -vs- SC-29, what features do I gain?" Previous topic | Next topic
NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Tue 02-Oct-12 11:29 AM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
"Nikon SC-17 -vs- SC-29, what features do I gain?"

Morristown, US

I'm a long time user of the SC-17 which I used many years ago with a F4s and a macro lens. I recently picked up Nikon 105 f/2.8 D micro which I'll use with my D2x and would like to take my SB-800 off camera. The SC-17 works but I might pick up the SC-29 if there are better benefits with the new cable. Hope this makes sense and I'm looking forward to your answers.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Nikon SC-17 -vs- SC-29, what features do I gain?
jrp Administrator
02nd Oct 2012
gkaiseril Gold Member
02nd Oct 2012
MEMcD Moderator
02nd Oct 2012
avm247 Moderator
02nd Oct 2012
NikonMark37814
03rd Oct 2012

jrp Administrator JRP is one of the co-founders, has in-depth knowledge in various areas. Awarded for his contributions for the Resources Charter MemberTue 02-Oct-12 04:26 PM
34662 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Nikon SC-17 -vs- SC-29, what features do I gain?"
In response to Reply # 0
Tue 02-Oct-12 04:26 PM by jrp

San Pedro Garza García, MX

The main feature of the SC-29 -in addition to those of the SC-17- is the focus assist when under dim light.
I have both and the one mostly used is the SC-29, mounted at all times on a flash bracket.

Have a great time
JRP (Founder & Administrator. Nikonian at the north-eastern Mexican desert) Gallery, Brief Love Story, The Team
Join the Silver, Gold and Platinum members that help this happen; upgrade. Join your personal web site to the Nikonians WebRing
Make sure you check our workshops at The Nikonians Academy and the product catalog of the Photo Pro Shop

gkaiseril Gold Member Nikonian since 28th Oct 2005Tue 02-Oct-12 04:50 PM
6739 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#2. "RE: Nikon SC-17 -vs- SC-29, what features do I gain?"
In response to Reply # 0

Chicago, US

As noted the SC-29 includes an AF Assist Light but no TTL ports. The SC-17 is the older version of the SC-28, and has 2 TTL ports which can be wired to additional SB-800 using SC-18/26 TTL cables. Not much has been written about the old TTL and the dSLRs.

George
My Nikonian Galleries

MEMcD Moderator In depth knowledge in various areas Nikonian since 24th Dec 2007Tue 02-Oct-12 06:17 PM
26189 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Nikon SC-17 -vs- SC-29, what features do I gain?"
In response to Reply # 2

US

Hi George,

The 2 TTL ports on the side of the SC-17 only support TTL flash control when used with film bodies. i-TTL DSLR's do not support wired flash control.
Good Luck and Enjoy your Nikons!

Best Regards,
Marty

avm247 Moderator Awarded for high skills in documentary architecture and aviation photography Charter MemberTue 02-Oct-12 08:32 PM
18527 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Nikon SC-17 -vs- SC-29, what features do I gain?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rancho Cordova, US

One other difference is the knurled lock ring (SC-17) vs. the lever flash lock as on later speedlights (SC-29).

Anthony

The Moderator Page and My Gallery
The important things in life are simple; the simple things are hard.

NikonMark37814 Registered since 20th May 2010Wed 03-Oct-12 02:04 AM
1125 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#5. "RE: Nikon SC-17 -vs- SC-29, what features do I gain?"
In response to Reply # 4

Morristown, US

Thanks for the tips and explanation. I plan to get one next time I order from B&H or Amazon.

mVs
D2x, D300s, D700 & D800

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59459 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.