Go to a  "printer friendly" view of this message which allow an easy print Printer-friendly copy Go to the page which allows you to send this topic link and a message to a friend Email this topic to a friend
Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59444
View in linear mode

Subject: "Why can I never get coloured gels to work?" Previous topic | Next topic
guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Sun 30-Sep-12 05:15 PM
953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
"Why can I never get coloured gels to work?"

Rugby, GB

Tried for about the millionth time again to add some colour to my background, but as per usual all I end up with is a murky off-white off-grey wall not the vivid bright splash of colour I wanted. I tried different flash power, different shutter speeds, different apertures etc etc and nothing works. What am I doing wrong? I'm always seeing people use them so easily and end up with really rich vivid colour from their gels, but mine never work!

Visit my Nikonians gallery.

Alert Printer-friendly copy | Reply | Reply with quote | Top

Replies to this topic
Subject Author Message Date ID
Reply message RE: Why can I never get coloured gels to work?
Luke_Miller Silver Member
30th Sep 2012
guyparker
30th Sep 2012
mklass Platinum Member
30th Sep 2012
luckyphoto Silver Member
01st Oct 2012
guyparker
01st Oct 2012

Luke_Miller Silver Member Nikonian since 19th Apr 2006Sun 30-Sep-12 08:10 PM
1471 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#1. "RE: Why can I never get coloured gels to work?"
In response to Reply # 0

Rural Virginia, US

What white balance are you using? If using Auto the white balance may be neutralizing the color from the gel.

Places We Have Been

www.peppermill-multimedia.com

guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Sun 30-Sep-12 10:24 PM
953 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profileClick to send message via AOL IM
#2. "RE: Why can I never get coloured gels to work?"
In response to Reply # 1

Rugby, GB

That's a good suggestion thanks. You were right to an extent. On this occasion at least it was a combination of white balance and also me being incredibly stupid and not realising I'd picked a colour correction gel instead of a strong coloured gel!! Sorry.

For future though - what white balance should you use if using gels?

mklass Platinum Member As a semi-professional involved in all manner of photographic genres including portraiture, sports, commercial, and events coverage, Mick is always ready to help Nikonians by sharing his deep knowledge of photography and printing. Nikonian since 08th Dec 2006Sun 30-Sep-12 11:20 PM
5857 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#3. "RE: Why can I never get coloured gels to work?"
In response to Reply # 2

Tacoma, US

For a start, try setting the camera WB to flash.

If you feel so inclined and have the equipment, check with a WhiBal, ExpoDisk, colormeter or other color measuring device without the gel, then set that as your WB value in the camera. Then shoot with your gel.

Mick
http://www.mickklassphoto.com
or
Visit my nikonians gallery

luckyphoto Silver Member Nikonian since 27th Dec 2010Mon 01-Oct-12 11:46 AM
743 posts Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin    Click to send email to this author Click to send private message to this authorClick to view this author's profile
#4. "RE: Why can I never get coloured gels to work?"
In response to Reply # 0

Port Charlotte, US

Could the flash on the subject be washing out the background? How far away is the subject from the background? Providing a sample image with the EXIF data would help.

Try doubling the distance between the subject and background and slow down to the shutter speed to get more ambient light. See what difference that makes.

Larry

"Red is gray and yellow white, but we decide which is right
....and which is an illusion"

Moody Blues - Nights in White Satin

guyparker Registered since 21st Dec 2005Mon 01-Oct-12 03:45 PM
#5. "RE: Why can I never get coloured gels to work?"
In response to Reply # 4

Rugby, GB

Thanks everyone. Mick - very good suggestion on the WB! Larry - ditto on the trying to get more distance between subject/key light and gelled light.

Forums Lobby MASTER YOUR TOOLS - Hardware & Software Nikon Speedlights & Lighting topic #59444 Previous topic | Next topic

Take the Nikonians Tour and learn more about being a Nikonian Wiki /FAQ /Help Listen to our MP3 photography radio channels Find anything on Nikon and imaging technology - fast!

Copyright © Nikonians 2000, 2014
All Rights Reserved

Nikonians®, NikoScope® and NikoniansAcademy™ are trademarks owned by Nikonians.org.
Nikon®, Nikonos® and Nikkor® are registered trademarks of Nikon Corporation.